Abigail Trencher > Birketts LLP > Cambridge, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
22 STATION ROAD
- Go to...
Abigail joined Birketts in 2008. She is a Partner, Head of our Employment Team in Cambridge, and also leads our Education Team.
Abigail assists employers with their employee relation issues and helps them avoid and resolve disputes with employees. She has particular expertise in advising clients within the education and charities sector clients on a range of employment issues including contractual matters, equal pay issues, discrimination claims, TUPE transfers and large scale redundancy programmes. Abigail also acts for clients within the private sector advising on board level disputes, restrictive covenants and changing terms and conditions of employment including terms relating to pension schemes.
Abigail has provided employment law training on all areas of employment law and her interactive, practical style is always adapted to relate to her audience, be it directors, HR personnel or line managers.
In 2017, Abigail became a Governor at Anglia Ruskin University.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Birketts LLP ‘provides excellent customer service and is confident in giving advice on complex legal issues, and one of its major strengths is the ability to view an issue from a local standpoint‘. The firm coordinates a strong multidisciplinary team including property, charities, corporate, employment and public law expertise to support public sector clients, among them The Broads Authority, Anglia Ruskin University and South Norfolk Council. Head of public sector and local government Ruth Neave works across all four of the firm’s offices, working closely with head of education Abigail Trencher in Cambridge and head of health Matthew Newnham in Norwich. Head of the academies practice Liz Brownsell in Ipswich is also a key adviser to charities and education clients.
Birketts LLP ‘brings all the expertise and level of service I would expect from a London firm, but with local rates and a friendliness and approachability that makes them great to work with, whatever the requirement‘, says one client. The firm has five partners in a 26-lawyer team that covers every aspect of employment law from general HR matters to complex litigation. Jeanette Wheeler in Norwich leads the cross-office employment practice, assisted by Matthew Newnham and, in Cambridge, Abigail Trencher. Catherine Johnson and Sonya O’Reilly are the lead partners in Ipswich. Legal director Olivia Toulson in Cambridge joined from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP and senior associate Lucy Churchill in Norwich joined from Hansells, while Laura Brown is now a director at Howes Percival LLP.
- Employment - East Anglia > Employment
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Employment > Employment
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Public sector > Public sector
- Public sector - East Anglia > Public sector
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping