Matthew Newnham > Birketts LLP > Norwich, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
1 GILDERS WAY
- Go to...
Matthew joined Birketts in 2005. He is a Partner in our Employment Team.
Matthew has experience in advising clients on all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment law.
Matthew is experienced in a broad range of Employment Tribunal matters. He deals with all types of employment claims in the Employment Tribunal, the Employment Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal, including claims for discrimination and unfair dismissal. He has also advised clients using judicial mediation in the Employment Tribunal.
Matthew advises on large scale employment issues, such as TUPE transfers, dealing with mass redundancy situations, and on significant changes to employees’ terms and conditions. In addition, Matthew provides day to day employment advice to clients’ on issues such as ‘hiring and firing’ senior level executives, long term disability related absence, and employee performance management.
In particular, Matthew has a significant NHS client base which has involved him in advising NHS clients on large scale employment redundancy situations, TUPE transfers, and a number of complex Employment Tribunal claims.
Matthew is a keen public speaker and regularly delivers seminars on employment related topics.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Birketts LLP has a multi-disciplinary team that acts for a diverse range of clients in the health and education sectors. ‘The employment team is always available to support and give advice and are very knowledgeable‘, remarks one client. Head of public sector and local government Ruth Neave works across all five of the firm’s offices, calling upon the expertise of head of education Abigail Trencher in Cambridge and head of health Matthew Newnham in Norwich. Charities partner Liz Brownsell in Ipswich takes the lead on matters concerning academies. Trencher and legal director Tom Sharpe in Norwich are ‘very helpful and their advice is always sound‘. Corporate partner Ed Savory, also based in Norwich, advised South Norfolk Council on a joint venture arrangement with five other local authorities in Norfolk and Anglian Water.
Birketts LLP has one of the largest employment practices in the region and it ‘always provides pragmatic and practical advice, explained in straightforward terms‘. The ‘simply outstanding‘ Jeanette Wheeler leads the cross-office employment practice from Norwich, where ‘legal genius‘ Matthew Newnham ‘provides exceptional service and is always commercially aware’. ‘Very thorough‘ senior associate Lucy Churchill is also a key practitioner. Catherine Johnson who is ‘calmness personified and has an incredible memory bank of legal knowledge‘ and the ‘approachable, empathetic‘ Sonya O’Reilly are the lead partners in Ipswich. Abigail Trencher is the standout partner in Cambridge, where legal director Olivia Toulson is recommended. Tom Sharpe in Norwich defended an unfair dismissal claim for The College of West Anglia.
With a strong presence in Essex, Birketts LLP‘s public sector team is equipped to provide an all-round service to its local government, healthcare and education clients, by working closely with a number of the firm’s other specialist departments. Abigail Trencher leads the dedicated education team, while employment expert Matthew Newnham heads up the health team, and Ruth Neave leads the overall department, as well as the local government team. Neave’s practice extends to procurement, strategic partnership, and public sector governance mandates.
- Employment East Anglia > Employment
- Leading individuals East Anglia > Employment > Employment
- Leading individuals East Anglia > Public sector > Public sector
- Public sector East Anglia > Public sector
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping