Mr Derrick Zhao > Fangda Partners > Shanghai, China > Lawyer Profile
Fangda Partners Offices
24/F, HKRI CENTRE TWO, HKRI TAIKOO HUI
288 SHI MEN YI ROAD
- Go to...
Mr Derrick Zhao
Mr. Zhao specializes in general corporate compliance matters, internal investigations and government enforcement actions.
Before joining Fangda Partners, Mr. Zhao was a senior compliance officer in the APAC head office of a top-tier global investment bank, responsible for the bank’s anti-corruption and anti-financial crime related affairs in the Asia Pacific. Before that, Mr. Zhao had practiced in a reputable Chinese law firm and in the Shanghai office of a renowned international law firm for many years.
- Cornell Law School, LLM, 2011
- East China University of Political Science and Law, LLB, 2006
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Fangda Partners has substantial on-the-ground capabilities across China and continues to grow; of recent note, the firm established additional presence in Nanjing, where a dedicated team of consultants assists the compliance and regulatory group with more demanding projects such as due diligence assignments and extensive internal investigations. The practice handles a full scope of compliance and regulatory issues of contentious and non-contentious nature; it has an outstanding track record of serving as lead counsel to large multinational and Chinese companies, most recently in relation to internal investigations into allegations of fraud, among other matters. Multi-jurisdictional work is another area of strength for the team, which it assists domestic and global corporate clients navigate the regulatory regimes in foreign jurisdictions such as the US. Shenzhen-based Benjamin Miao jointly leads the practice with Kate Yin, who splits her time between Beijing and Shenzhen. Other key contacts include Derrick Zhao (‘hardworking and responsive’) in Shanghai and Yanjun Zhuang in Beijing. Melody Wang departed in January 2021.
Fangda Partners specialises in advising clients on sanctions and export control issues, particularly those involving the United States. The practice is frequently instructed by companies who have been placed on the Entity List, aiding them in understanding the implications of this as well as in petitioning for removal from the list. The team also provides proactive advice to clients involving in sensitive sectors such as technology, assisting them with risk assessment and compliance with export control laws. Practice head Kate Yin specialises in regulatory compliance. Derrick Zhao is another key figure.
- Next Generation Partners - China > Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms
- Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms - China
- WTO/international trade: PRC firms - China
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition: PRC firms
- Banking and finance: PRC firms
- Capital markets: PRC firms
- Corporate and M&A: PRC firms
- Data protection: PRC firms
- Dispute resolution: Arbitration: PRC firms
- Dispute resolution: Litigation: PRC firms
- Investment funds: PRC firms
- Labour and employment: PRC firms
- Life sciences and healthcare: PRC firms
- Regional coverage: Guangdong Province: Guangzhou and Shenzhen
- Private equity: PRC firms
- Real estate and construction: PRC firms
- Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms
- TMT: PRC firms