Mr Derrick Zhao > Fangda Partners > Shanghai, China > Lawyer Profile
Fangda Partners Offices
24/F, HKRI CENTRE TWO, HKRI TAIKOO HUI
288 SHI MEN YI ROAD
- Go to...
Mr Derrick Zhao
Mr. Zhao specializes in general corporate compliance matters, internal investigations and government enforcement actions.
Before joining Fangda Partners, Mr. Zhao was a senior compliance officer in the APAC head office of a top-tier global investment bank, responsible for the bank’s anti-corruption and anti-financial crime related affairs in the Asia Pacific. Before that, Mr. Zhao had practiced in a reputable Chinese law firm and in the Shanghai office of a renowned international law firm for many years.
- Cornell Law School, LLM, 2011
- East China University of Political Science and Law, LLB, 2006
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Fangda Partners is well regarded for advising clients in high-profile compliance investigations and enforcement actions across China, often serving as lead counsel. It handles a full scope of contentious and non-contentious compliance and regulatory issues, including corporate investigations, administrative and criminal government enforcement, compliance advisory, and compliance program and policy issues. It also has strong expertise in cross-border matters, including acting for Chinese clients in government enforcement actions initiated by foreign governments. The team is co-led by Kate Yin, who splits her time between Beijing, Hong Kong, and Guangzhou, and Benjamin Miao who is based in Shanghai. Yin has significant experience advising across a wide array of matters, including anti-bribery, anti-competition, data protection and compliance, securities law, anti-money laundering, and export control matters, whilst Miao specialises in commercial disputes. Derrick Zhao is also notable for his expertise in general corporate compliance matters, internal investigations and government enforcement actions, whilst Yanjun Zhuang specialises in criminal defence, government enforcement and anti-fraud internal investigation.
Sanctions and export controls experts Fangda Partners helps clients to navigate the rocks and hard places of US sanctions and China’s Anti-Foreign Sanctions Law under the leadership of Kate Yin. Yin works on complex government enforcement matters and internal investigations, as well as sanctions and compliance issues. Derrick Zhao is another key practitioner and works as practice head for Shanghai, focussing on anti-corruption, sanctions and export control. Ginger Jiang, with her background in customs enforcement and anti-smuggling, has strengthened the customs and trade remedies side of the practice. The team has a notable tech industry specialism, working for both large technology firms and electrical infrastructure companies.
- Next Generation Partners China > Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms
- Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms China
- WTO/international trade: PRC firms China
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition: PRC firms
- Banking and finance: PRC firms
- Capital markets: PRC firms
- Corporate and M&A: PRC firms
- Data protection: PRC firms
- Dispute resolution: Arbitration: PRC firms
- Dispute resolution: Litigation: PRC firms
- Intellectual property: PRC firms
- Investment funds: PRC firms
- Labour and employment: PRC firms
- Life sciences and healthcare: PRC firms
- Regional coverage: Guangdong Province: Guangzhou and Shenzhen
- Private equity: PRC firms
- Real estate and construction: PRC firms
- Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms
- TMT: PRC firms