Fangda Partners > Shanghai, China > Firm Profile
Fangda Partners Offices
24/F, HKRI CENTRE TWO, HKRI TAIKOO HUI
288 SHI MEN YI ROAD
Fangda Partners > The Legal 500 RankingsFangda Partners‘ antitrust and competition practice acts on high-profile investigations on matters such as abuse of dominance in the digital sphere, with the firm representing some of the largest names in Chinese e-commerce. The team, led by Michael Han, is one of the top choices for PRC counsel in the eyes of many multinational businesses. As well as investigations, Han advises on a range of matters including merger control, competition litigation and strategic and operational counselling. Another key name is Caroline Huang, who assists with abuse of dominance and cartel investigations and merger filing and has notable specialisms in the shipping, manufacturing and pharmaceuticals industries.
Josh Shin; Kate Yin; Michael Han; Fang Q
Other key lawyers:
SK hynix Inc.
Illinois Tool Works Inc.
AerCap Holdings NV
- Advised SK hynix on the Chinese merger filing of its $9bn acquisition of Intel’s NAND and SSD storage business.
- Acted for Alibaba Group in an antitrust investigation related to abuse of dominance.
- Represented ByteDance in its antitrust litigation against Tencent.
Bank of China
The Exim Bank of China
China Development Bank
China Construction Bank
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Ping An Bank
Shanghai Pudong Development Bank
China Merchant Bank
Standard Chartered Bank
DBS Bank Limited
DNB Bank ASA
Banco de Santander
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Wing Lung Bank
Alibaba Group Holding Limited
China Minsheng Financial Holding
Chong Hing Bank
ICBC International Holdings
Charoen Pokphand Group
Loyal Valley Capital
- Advised Centurium Capital Management in $2bn acquisition loan from Ping An bank and Shanghai Pudong Development Bank to privatize China Biologic Products Holdings.
- Advised Hillhouse in an acquisition loan from China Merchant Bank, Ping An, Shanghai Pudong Development Bank and CMB Wing Lung to fund its acquisition of AI Dream.
- Advised Shanghai Pudong Development Bank in an ¥2.6bn loan facility to MBK Partners.
Leo Lou; Xueyan Jiang
‘The team is well staffed with lawyers with different seniorities and proficient English language skills. They have abundant experiences in advising bond issuance transactions, communicating with clients with different backgrounds, and are competent to deal with pioneer transaction structures.’
‘Christine Chen has in-depth experience in advising sophisticated international issuers on local law issues. As our trusted legal advisor, Christine provides practical and thoughtful solutions to complicated legal issues, which is immensely helpful to the successful execution of cutting-edge debt offering transactions.’
Bank of Ningbo Co., Ltd
Shenwan Hongyuan (H.K.) Limited
Huatai United Securities
BMW Finance N.V.
Bank of China Limited
Bank of Communications Co., Ltd. Hong Kong Branch
China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Limited
China International Capital Corporation Hong Kong Securities Limited
ICBC International Securities Limited
Merrill Lynch (Asia Pacific) Limited
Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
CTBC Bank Co., Ltd.
Deutsche Bank AG
Goldman Sachs (Asia) L.L.C.
J.P. Morgan Securities plc
Mizuho Securities Asia Limited
Standard Chartered Bank
Deutsche Bank AG, London Branch
he Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
UBS AG Hong Kong Branch
JIC Leasing Company Limited, Xingsheng (BVI) Company Limited
Bank of China Macau Branch
China International Capital Co., Ltd.
Haier Financial Factoring (Chongqing) Co., Ltd.
China Energy Engineering Investment Co., Ltd.
China Construction Third Bureau Group Co., Ltd.
- Advised BeiGene throughout on its US$3.5 billion (before over-allotment option is fully exercised) initial public offering and listing on the STAR Market.
- Advised Hungary on its RMB 1 billion the first green sovereign bond offering.
- Advised China Energy Engineering Investment Co., Ltd. on the project of CICC-China Energy Engineering Investment Wind Power Green ABS (dedicated to carbon neutrality).
Norman Zhong; Miles Ma
SK hynix Inc.
Lumentum Holdings Inc.
China National Bluestar (Group) Co., Ltd.
Gree Electric Appliances, Inc. of Zhuhai
Shenzhen China Star Optoelectronics Technology Co., Ltd.
Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia
Asiainfo Technologies Limited
Suez (Asia) Limited
China Reform Capital Co., Ltd.
Weifu High-Technology Group Co., Ltd.
- Assisted SK hynix Inc. in its acquisition of the NAND and SSD business from Intel Corporation with a total transaction consideration of US$9 billion.
- Advised MBK Partners on its acquisition of CAR’s share with a total consideration of approximately USD 1.1 billion.
- Advised a buyer consortium on the privatization of 51job with a total transaction consideration of USD5.7 billion.
‘Familiar with business practice in pharmaceutical industry.’
‘Provides clients with practical advice to comply with data protection law in China.’
‘The team are professional on data protection and cyber security related issues.’
‘Gil Zhang provides timely and professional guidance on the data protection related issues of our company.’
‘Gil Zhang is one of the most knowledgeable privacy lawyers. He has full understanding of clients’ needs and of how their organizations work.’
‘The lawyer’s understanding of the local regulator and their perspectives and the engagement with the rule makers is an advantage.’
Nuo Ji; Benjamin Miao; Daniel Huang; Ming Kang; Helen Shi
Everbright Jinhui Investment Management (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. and Shanghai Jinxin Investment Advisory LLP
China Life Asset Management Co. Ltd.
Cinda Investment Co., Ltd.
China State-owned Capital VC Fund Co., Ltd.
Nanjing Skytech Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai HFT Fortune Asset Management Company Limited
Industrial Bank Co., Ltd.
Sichuan Shengda Forestry Industry Co., Ltd.
Jiangsu Sterlite Tongguang Fiber Co., Ltd.
- Representing Shanghai Jinxin Investment Advisory LLP and Everbright Jinhui Investment Management (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. to bring a lawsuit against Baofeng Group Co., Ltd. (a PRC listed company) and its actual controller before the PRC Supreme Court.
- Entrusted by China Life Asset Management Co. Ltd., representing Bank of Communications Trustee Limited before the Beijing No. 4 Intermediate People’s Court against China Energy Reserve and Chemicals Group Company in a dispute arising from the deed of guarantee involving USD bonds.
- Represented Cinda Investment Co., Ltd. in court litigation over a contract dispute of real estate development operation dispute against a listed general merchandise company and its subsidiary.
James Hu; Alexandra Yang
Other key lawyers:
Ralph Lauren Corporation
- Representing Oppo in its standard essential patent and FRAND litigation against Nokia.
- Representing Apple in several rounds of proceedings against Zhizhen, in relation to the iRobot patent.
- Represented Tsuburaya in strategising, filing and handling copyright litigation.
‘Very knowledgeable while can also deliver practical advice.’
‘Responsive and responsible.’
‘They are very experienced and resourceful.’
‘Very creative at coming up with solutions.’
‘They have rich experience and deep expertise.’
‘Very resourceful. They can help connect us with helpful contacts.’
Vision Knight Capital
- Represented Morgan Stanley on the structuring and formation of its third flagship RMB Fund in China.
- Advised Sequoia Capital on the structuring and formation of its first, second and third qualified foreign limited partnership (“QFLP”) funds in Hainan.
- Assisted Boyu Capital with the structuring and formation of its fourth flagship RMB Fund, Boyu RMB Fund IV.
Bo Zhou; Lisa Zhao
- Advised a global leading modernized integrated iron & steel enterprise on employment law related matters for factory relocation.
Josh Shin; Kate Yin; Michael Han; Fang Qi
Other key lawyers:
Yiren Hu; Gil Zhang
‘They work as a very strong team with exceptional depth in expertise and breadth of work scope. The team has an excellent business sense besides their outstanding legal skills.’
‘Josh Shin has very good business sense and is always on top of all matters. Yiren Hu is very detail oriented and skilled in cross-border transactions.’
‘Fangda has a highly competent team of life sciences and healthcare lawyers. The practice covers legal services related to the whole life cycle of life sciences and health products. They provide our company with multi-faceted and multi-dimensional legal advice such as BD, clinical, listing access, advertising, antitrust, data and personal information protection.’
‘Diana Li has a thorough understanding of and many years of experience in the life sciences and healthcare industry, with a with a deep understanding of new technologies and products.’
‘Fangda’s life sciences and healthcare team is able to combine expertise from many practice areas within the firm to provide comprehensive high-quality legal services.’
‘Josh Shin is a distinguished partner in Fangda’s life sciences and healthcare team. He is able to quickly understand the company’s business model and provide timely high-quality advice.’
‘Josh Shin has many years of experience in the biomedical industry, being familiar with professional investors and start-up companies operating in the industry.’
‘Josh Shi and Gil Zhang have good understanding of the client business model and the complex regulatory framework which impacts the client’s business.’
Yunfeng Fund II
Everbright Healthcare Fund
Shanghai Kehua Bioengineering
EdiGene Beijing Biotechnology
LifeTech Scientific Corporation
Wuxi JW Therapeutics
CICC Healthcare Fund
Johnson & Johnson
Smith & Nephew
Smith & Nephew
CMS (China Medical System)
AZ-CICC Healthcare Fund
Beijing Naton Technology
- Advised BeiGene on its $3.5bn (before over-allotment option is fully exercised) initial public offering and listing on the STAR Market Shanghai, after acting for BeiGene as the company PRC counsel on its IPOs on NASDAQ and HKEX.
- Assisted CStone Pharmaceuticals in granting exclusive rights to Hengrui Pharmaceuticals for research, development, registration, manufacturing, and commercialisation of anti-CTLA-4 mAb CS1002 in the Greater China region.
- Acted for MediTrust Health on its Series-C financing co-lead by Boyu Capital and Janchor Partners, involving an aggregate financing amount of over ¥2bn.
China Integrated Circuit Industry Fund II
XYZ Robotics Global Inc.
Sunshine Insurance and a Sovereign Wealth Fund
China Life Insurance and Ping An Life Insurance
360 Security Technology Inc.
InnoScience (Suzhou) Technology Co., Ltd.
- Advised Chengxin Technology (DiDi’s platform for conducting the businesses of community group-buying and community e-commerce) in its spin-off from Didi and series A financing from various investors with an aggregate financing amount being around US$4.21 billion.
- Acted for China Life Insurance and Ping An Life Insurance in their investments in Huadian Fuxin Energy Development Co., Ltd.
- Advised InnoScience (Suzhou) Technology Co., Ltd. in its series D financing, which was led by TI-Capital and the co-investors include but not limited to ADDOR Capital, Haitong Innovation, China-Belgium Direct Equity Investment Fund, SAIF Eagle Fund and CMS Investment.
Yingyang Wang; Stephen Lin
New World Development
LaSalle Investment Management
Ping’an Real Estate
- Acted for Ping An Life Insurance on its acquisition of a majority stake in the Raffles City portfolio, comprising six Raffles City commercial developments located in Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou, Chengdu and Ningbo.
- Represented Tishman Speyer on its sale of about 2.1 million square feet of office and retail space currently under development to ByteDance.
- Advising Kerry Properties, a Hong Kong-listed developer, on its RMB 13.3 billion purchase of four mixed-use land parcels in Shanghai’s Huangpu District.
Kate Yin; Benjamin Miao
‘Yanjun Zhuang impresses with outstanding work. He works around the clock analysing clients’ urgent problems, interprets local laws and regulations in terms that the client can understand, and looks for legal solutions that no other experts have ever pointed out.’
‘Fangda is an international legal firm, where most staff are fluent in English. They are able to help us convert most local legal documents into English and terms that US clients can easily understand. They also take client’s businesses personally.’
‘Yanjun Zhuang never cuts corners when it comes to his profession. He provides all the knowledge that he can, which is top notch in China.’
China > TMT: PRC firms Tier 1Fangda Partners is well regarded for its expertise across a broad range of the TMT sectors, acting on a number of high-profile transactions relating to equity and debt financing, restructuring, M&A, data protection and security compliance, and intellectual property protection. Its clients include an enviable list of major Chinese TMT companies, as well as unicorn companies and technology start-ups. The practice is co-led by Amanda Zhou and Doris Tang from Beijing and Shanghai, respectively. Zhou has extensive experience in advising on venture capital transactions and private equity funds, and is supported by Jeffery Ding who is active in the areas of M&A, capital markets and private equity. Also notable are Tianyi Chen and Patrick Li, both of whom specialise in corporate transactions and are experienced in cross-border matters.
Amanda Zhou; Doris Tang
‘Diligent, experienced, and cost-effective.’
‘Helan Fan, Chuck Sun, Eric Yan, Samuel Xie Leo Lou, Dalin Cong Candy Tang’
IDG and Yunfeng
AB INITIO CAPITAL
Nanjing Huadong Electronic Information & Technology Co., Ltd.
China Integrated Circuit Industry Fund II
- Advised X-Peng Inc. on its global offering of 85 million Class A ordinary shares.
- Advised Alibaba Group in the Phase II of Jiangsu Xinxin Retail Innovation Fund.
- Advised Nanjing Huadong Electronic Information & Technology Co., Ltd. in its issuance of shares to acquire 49% of the shares of TPV Technology Limited.
China > Fintech: PRC firms Tier 2Fangda Partners is noted for advising a range of international and local clients on M&A, private equity, restructuring, data protection, and venture capital transactions. The team is jointly led by Amanda Zhou, Chen Bao, and Kate Yin, and Shanghai-based Jian Fang and Zhiyi Ren. Yin is particularly focused on regulatory compliance matters with a cross-border element, while Fang advises international corporations, financial institutions and private equity firms on investments and operations in China. Ren is also active in cross-border investments, having recently acted for HSBC Fintech WFOE in obtaining an EDI license.
‘Fantastic team, I would not go anywhere else.’
‘Lingqi Wang is an impeccable lawyer, quick on his feet and very clever, and Nuo Ji is a true elder and highly respected among clients and competitors alike. With them on your side, you can feel confident in success.’
‘Fangda has a very strong insolvency team. I have been working with them on almost all PRC engagements, in particular matters related to taking control of the onshore entities.’
‘Lingqi Wang is very experienced, responsive, and always provides practical solutions.’
Shanghai CEFC International Group Ltd
Dalian Shipping Industry Offshore Co., Ltd
Huaxin Chemical Fiber Technology Group Co., Ltd.; Yuyao Xinhua xin Fiber Sales Co., Ltd
Shanghai Yuehe Real Estate Co., Ltd
Various Creditors and Counterparties in HNA Bankruptcy
Perun Consulting, as Joint Receivers and Manages of Eastasia Power Holding (BVI)
Kangmei Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd
Neoglory Prosperity Inc
Fujian Star Group Co. Ltd (SG)
Huachen Energy Co., Ltd
- Acted for ZK Engineering as appointed administrator by Shanghai Third Intermediate Court on its reorganisation and RMB77bn debt restructuring.
- Advised Fujian Star Group Co., Ltd as appointed administrator by Fuzhou Intermediate People’s Court on its reorganisation plan and RMB1.6bn debt restructuring.
- Assisted the offshore counsel of the ad-hoc committee of holders of senior notes with the restructuring of Huachen Energy Co., Ltd.
Kate Yin; Derrick Zhao
Other key lawyers:
Yingjie Kang; Ginger Jiang
China > Insurance: PRC firms Tier 3Fangda Partners houses a sizeable team of insurance practitioners who demonstrate strong capabilities in financing transactions, M&A and regulatory matters, making it a popular choice for domestic and international insurers, fintech companies, PE firms and asset management funds seeking assistance with cross-border mandates. On the contentious front, the group is sought after to handle trials in Mainland China and as well as mediation proceedings. The group’s leadership is split between inbound and outbound investment specialist Jian Fang, and Zhiyi Ren, who is a key contact for foreign clients seeking advice on onshore business permits and regulatory matters. Also noted are Beijing-based Siyuan Pan, an expert in outbound acquisitions and corporate matters, and counsel Lily Yan.
Jian Fang; Zhiyi Ren
New China Life Insurance Company Ltd.
China Life Insurance(Group) Company
The People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China Limited
CCB Life Asset Management Co., Ltd.
China Ping An Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
Great Wall Motors
- Assisted China Ping An Life Insurance Co., Ltd. with its acquisition of a majority stake in the Raffles City portfolio, comprising six Raffles City commercial developments located in Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou, Chengdu and Ningbo.
- Acted for an investor on the establishment of National Pension & Insurance Company Ltd., which is one of the largest pension insurance companies in China in terms of capital.
- Advised Great Wall Motors on its acquisition of an insurance broker, including due diligence, deal structure design, contract drafting, and negotiations.
‘The team provides a great example of smart collective and coordinated work, the client feels understood and proactively supported, things are fluid and simple. Impressive reactivity. Individuals are all available and pleasant to work with.’
‘Colin Law has extensive knowledge of the regional markets and practice, provides most adequate advice on deals structuring and negotiations, comes across superbly with the M&A and finance teams, is accessible, fully available and very pleasant to work with.’
‘Team members, especially the leading lawyers, have rich M&A experience.‘
‘Colin Law has extensive experience in M&A, which is not only reflected in his knowledge on relevant legal provisions, but also in his judgement and control of project situations. He has excellent communication and coordination skills, understands the demands of all parties, and properly balance the interests of all parties in the given solution, thus effectively promoting the progress of the project.‘
‘Colin Law has extensive experience in M&A especially transactions under the takeovers code. He is one of the preferred lawyers.‘
‘The team is able to operate well both in Mainland China and Hong Kong capital markets, especially in the service of M&A transactions of Chinese listed companies in Hong Kong, and understands Mainland capital market, regulatory requirements as well as Hong Kong capital market requirements, so as to provide excellent “one-stop” solutions for clients. They also offer a package of competitive fees of Mainland + Hong Kong.‘
‘Fangda Law Firm has excellent strength in Mainland China. In recent years, it has also increased personnel investment in Hong Kong capital market, further enhancing the comprehensive strength of Fangda Mainland and Hong Kong‘.
Haier Electronics Group Co., Ltd.
TCL Technology Group Co., Ltd.
EF Education First
ASM Pacific Technology Limited
Sunny Sea Global Limited
Shanghai Wanye Enterprises
Ever Harmonic Global Limited
Brilliance International Holding Limited, Golden Fair (Holding) Limited
Jinxin Fertility Group Limited
Huadian Fuxin Energy Corporation Limited
Suez (Asia) Limited
- Advised Moonton Technology on its acquisition by ByteDance, one of the largest and most influential deals in the video games industry history.
- Advised Haier Electronics Group Co., Ltd. (1169.HK) on its privatisation by way of a scheme of arrangement, which is the largest privatisation transaction of a Hong Kong-listed company in 2020.
- Advised TCL Technology Group Co., Ltd. and its subsidiary in its strategic acquisition of Samsung’s 8.5th generation LCD production line in Suzhou.
Fangda Partners > Firm Profile
The firm: Founded in 1993, Fangda Partners is a full-service law firm advising on PRC and Hong Kong laws.
One firm approach: We have approximately 700 lawyers in our five offices in major Chinese cities: Beijing, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shenzhen. We operate as a single, integrated partnership, not as an alliance of lawyers in different locations.
Our lawyers collaborate seamlessly across practice groups and locations to provide our clients with exceptional service, sophisticated advice and practical solutions founded on our legal expertise, sound knowledge of market practice, deep understanding of the industry landscape and proven ability to assist our clients achieve their business objectives.
Firm of choice for the most difficult legal issues: We are the firm of choice for businesses requiring solutions to their most difficult and complex legal issues. Leading companies and financial institutions in China and around the world turn to us for legal representation or counseling on their most significant legal and business challenges, whether transactions or disputes.
Cross-border capabilities with a China edge: We are known for our cross-border capabilities with a China edge.Our team consists of lawyers qualified in Australia, England and Wales, Singapore, US, Hong Kong and the PRC.
The diversity of our professionals and our strong local law capabilities enable us to bridge legal, regulatory, language and cultural differences that clients inevitably face in transactions and disputes involving multiple jurisdictions.
At the forefront of Chinese commercial practice: We have been at the forefront of the development of commercial law practice in China for over two decades.
We have a proven track record advising clients on groundbreaking transactions or defending them in unprecedented disputes. Some selected notable matters on which we have advised include:
- First initial public offering by a Chinese company involving an international underwriter
- The first domestic listing by a company incorporated outside the PRC (so-called red chip company)
- Formation of the first open-end mutual fund in China
- First foreign acquisition of a controlling stake in a Chinese public company
- First FRAND litigation in China
- Representing the claimant in obtaining the first injunction in an IP litigation under Chinese procedural law
- First public interest environmental litigation brought by an NGO against a multinational company in China
Areas of practice: The firm serves both PRC and international clients in various industries. Practices include
- Asset-backed securities
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Compliance and government enforcement
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and infrastructure
- Financial institutions
- General industries
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Intellectual property
- Investment funds
- Investment management
- Labor and employment
- Life sciences and healthcare
- Private equity
- Real estate and construction
- Technology, media and telecommunications
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers in the firm : 570+ Number of partners in the firm : 170+
LanguagesChinese (Cantonese and Mandarin) English Finnish French German Japanese
China: Restructuring & Insolvency
Published: May 2022
Authors: Nuo Ji Lingqi Wang Sylvia Zhang
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Restructuring & Insolvency laws and regulations that may occur in China.
China: Pharmaceutical Advertising
Published: November 2022
Authors: Jasmine Jieqiong Zhang Mercury Yajie Liu Hans Yifeng She
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Pharmaceutical Advertising laws and regulations that may occur in China.
- Antitrust and competition: PRC firms
- Banking and finance: PRC firms
- Capital markets: PRC firms
- Corporate and M&A: PRC firms
- Data protection: PRC firms
- Dispute resolution: Arbitration: PRC firms
- Dispute resolution: Litigation: PRC firms
- Intellectual property: PRC firms
- Investment funds: PRC firms
- Labour and employment: PRC firms
- Life sciences and healthcare: PRC firms
- Private equity: PRC firms
- Real estate and construction: PRC firms
- Regulatory/compliance: PRC firms
- TMT: PRC firms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Fintech: PRC firms
- Restructuring and insolvency: PRC firms
- WTO/international trade: PRC firms