Richard Millington > Shoosmiths LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
THE XYZ BUILDING
2 HARDMAN BOULEVARD, SPINNINGFIELDS
- Go to...
Richard is an experienced lawyer who provides counsel on strategic projects across the technology, media and sports sectors. He is listed in The Lawyer Hot 100 2019 for his ground breaking work setting up the practice.
As well advising on some of the sporting world’s biggest deals his experience includes negotiating cross border joint ventures, developing and executing litigation strategies in multiple jurisdictions and working on key outsourcing, telecoms projects, IP exploitation (including content/broadcast rights), sponsorship, distribution and agency arrangements.
Shoosmiths LLP acts for clients across the sporting landscape, including within football, cricket and rugby. Manchester-based Richard Millington oversees the team, focusing on cross-border joint ventures, outsourcing, IP exploitation sponsorship, distribution and agency arrangements. Associate Emily Soilleux operates from the London office and provides advice on sports transactions, sponsorship and agency agreements as well as broadcast rights.
Shoosmiths LLP’s sports practice group handles a range of transactional and contentious matters for clients in sports including football, rugby and cricket. Richard Millington heads the team, recognised for developing and executing litigation strategies in multiple jurisdictions and working on broadcasting rights, sponsorship, distribution and agency arrangements in the sports sector.
Shoosmiths LLP handles a wide range of IT and telecoms work for clients, encompassing data processing, cloud, SaaS, and connectivity projects. Other key areas of focus for the team include agile development and systems implementation and the procurement of IT services by financial services clients. Luke Stubbs leads the practice, with expertise in payment services technology and fintech. Co-head Richard Millington specialises in business-critical media and commercial rights projects within the telecoms sector.
Tim Jackson-Smith and Andrew Millar jointly head up the corporate offering at Shoosmiths LLP. The former – who also co-leads the firm’s energy group – brings this dual expertise to the role, while the latter continues to lead on some of the team’s highest value transactions. The department’s public company expertise was further strengthened in May 2022 by the arrival of associate Poppy Ball from Gateley Plc. Another significant recent acquisition was senior practitioner Elia Montorio, formerly of DLA Piper. On the commercial side, Richard Millington – who regularly advises on projects across the retail, media and sports sectors – and Luke Stubbs – who has significant fintech knowledge – are the key names to note.
- Corporate and commercial: Manchester - North West > Corporate and commercial
- IT and telecoms - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Sport - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Employment > Immigration
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Construction