Kevin Calder > Mills & Reeve LLP > Cambridge, England > Lawyer Profile
Mills & Reeve LLP Offices
100 HILLS ROAD
- Go to...
IT outsourcing and intellectual property lawyer, working on a number of large scale ICT projects for the public sector, for central government, local government, universities and the NHS, including a number of major outsourcing contracts. Clients include the Department of Health and Social Care. Kevin advises on various private sector IT projects, including installation of data centres in the financial services sector and international hardware framework agreements. He advises technology companies on protecting and exploiting their intellectual property, software licensing and international reseller arrangements, and advises public sector clients on compliance with public procurement rules.
Trainee solicitor Mills & Reeve 1997-99; solicitor 1999-2004; associate 2004-06; partner 2006. Launched www.procurementportal.com.
Member of Society for Computers and Law and TechUK.
St Aidan’s, Harrogate; University of Warwick (1996 LLB); Leeds Metropolitan University (1997 Diploma in Legal Practice).
Pub quizzes and gadgets.
Mills & Reeve LLP has ‘a very commercial and friendly approach and provides good technical advice‘ on the most high-profile regional deals, as well as many national and international transactions. Tom Pickthorn leads on corporate transactions and Kevin Calder in commercial matters. The firm has a deep bench of partners, among them Claire Clarke, who has particular expertise in education work and formation of investment funds, venture capital partner Zickie Lim, private equity expert Anthony McGurk and life sciences partner James Fry, who ‘always offers pragmatic advice’. Jonathan Greenwood focuses on education M&A and mid-market corporate transactions and Neil Burton specialists in charities work.
The Cambridge office of Mills & Reeve LLP is home to a substantial IT practice and its ‘pragmatic and collaborative approach is invaluable‘, according to clients. The firm’s work spans major IT projects for central government, landmark healthcare projects for the NHS, large projects in the education sector, and advice on strategic transactions for both established technology businesses and high-growth companies. IT specialist Kevin Calder leads the firm-wide technology and life sciences group, working closely with data protection partner Peter Wainman. Principal associate Sophie Burton-Jones, who is heavily involved in government and health sector projects, ‘will go over and beyond to deliver‘.
In May 2020, Mills & Reeve LLP’s fintech offering was bolstered by the arrival of Jagvinder Singh Kang from Codified Legal. He now jointly leads the team with Kevin Calder. The practice has considerable experience in corporate and financial deals in the fintech sector, and it also handles IT and data protection matters.
Mills & Reeve LLP recruited Jagvinder Singh Kang from Codified Legal Limited to lead its practice. With Jagvinder at the helm, the firm is able to provide a cohesive offering in the technology sector, which encompasses handling major procurement processes, data protection mandates and complex IT law matters. Kevin Calder, who co-leads the practice alongside Jagvinder, focuses primarily on public sector-led IT projects.
- Corporate and commercial: Cambridge - East Anglia > Corporate and commercial
- IT and telecoms - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Norwich
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector