Mark Kirkby > Sérvulo & Associados > Lisbon, Portugal > Lawyer Profile
Sérvulo & Associados Offices
RUA GARRETT N° 64
- Go to...
- Legal advice on the conclusion and renegotiation of concession contracts, especially with regards to public-private partnerships in the highway and railway sectors.
- Legal assistance in transactional matters related to the conclusion and execution of public contracts and in different regulatory areas of public law.
- Extensive experience in the field of litigation and arbitration of administrative law, often being an arbitrator in disputes related to public contracts.
- Drafting of legislation for various public entities in Portugal and in other Portuguese-speaking countries.
- Providing regular legal assistance to public and private entities on public procurement matters, including in the preparation and submission of proposals by tenderers and in the preparation, launching and execution of public procurement procedures by public-sector entities.
- Specialized practice in the energy sector, advising public and private entities in the structuring and development of projects and transactions in this area, with a particular focus on renewable energies.
Partner in the Public Law and Arbitration departments.
At SÉRVULO since 2004, Mark Kirkby is a partner in the Public Law department and co-heads the firm’s Projects department. Researcher at the Centre for Research in Public Law (CIDP) of the Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon, Mark is also frequently a guest lecturer on a variety of matters related to public procurement and public contracts on graduate courses carried out at Faculties of Law around the country. He was a Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon, on the undergraduate degree in Law, from 1996 to 2010. He served as an aide and chief of staff of the office of several ministerial cabinets from 1998 to 2004.
Portuguese, English, French, Spanish.
He joined the Bar Association in 1998.
MA in law in the field of Administrative Law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon (2007). Graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon (1996).
He has a diploma from the AESE Business School, where he attended the Advanced Management in Energy (AMEG) course, a program aimed at top-level managers and executives working in the energy sector, developed in partnership with the Portuguese Energy Association.
Sérvulo & Associados is a reference in the Portuguese legal market for its uncontested expertise in public law. The senior team is entirely devoted to public law matters and receives high-profile instructions from private and public clients operating in a wide range of regulated sectors, notably telecoms, healthcare, banking, transport and energy. Its growing international presence, namely in Portuguese-speaking African countries, is bolstered by the recent launch of SÉRVULO LATITUDE (an international network of law firms) and its African desk. The practice is jointly led by three partners: Rui Medeiros, who focuses on arbitration; public procurement expert João Amaral e Almeida; and Mark Kirkby, who is an expert in PPPs and concessions. A leading authority in the field, José Manuel Sérvulo Correia is predominantly sought after for the drafting of legal opinions and arbitration. Administrative litigation is an area of focus for Duarte Rodrigues Silva, while recently promoted Francisca Mendes da Costa stands out for her experience in multi-jurisdictional matters.
Drawing on its public law prowess, the infrastructure projects practice at Sérvulo & Associados assists a predominantly public entity client base on matters in the water and waste, energy, infrastructure and transport industries. The practice covers Portugal’s major metropolitan areas as well as jurisdictions in Lusophone Africa. Practice co-head Ana Luísa Guimarães focuses on public procurement, concessions and projects in regulated sectors and alongside her, Mark Kirkby has extensive experience in public infrastructure, especially road and rail networks. Francisca Mendes da Costa was promoted to partner in July 2020 and has been heavily involved across the firm’s range of project mandates.
Sérvulo & Associados leverages its leading position in the public law field to assist clients in a wide range of regulatory matters. Recent mandates saw the team advise on issues pertaining to electric mobility and self-consumption of renewable energy. The team, which is also equipped to handle sector-related transactions and public procurement, is jointly led by Ana Luísa Guimarães and Mark Kirkby.
Sérvulo & Associados has a proven track record in all areas of transport (including aviation, rail, road and shipping), drawing upon its reputation in public law. The practice is regularly engaged by the state and other public bodies in mandates pertaining to road and rail projects involving concessions and PPP structures. It is adept at advising on regulatory, transactional, litigation and transport-related financing work, having recently expanded its service offering to clients in the aviation and aeronautics sectors. Ana Luísa Guimarães and Mark Kirkby are the key points of contact in the team.
- Leading individuals - Portugal > Projects and project finance
- Public law - Portugal
- Projects and project finance - Portugal
- Energy and natural resources - Portugal
- Transport - Portugal
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution
- EU and competition
- Intellectual property
- Planning law
- Projects and project finance
- Capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Data privacy and data protection
- Energy and natural resources
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Real estate and construction