David Anderson > PwC LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
PwC LLP Offices
1 EMBANKMENT PLACE
- Go to...
David is a partner and leads the indirect tax team at PwC, who were winners at the 2014 Tax Awards. He previously spent a period with HM Customs & Excise Solicitor’s Office and with KPMG. He specialises in advice and litigation of all indirect taxes including VAT, customs duty, excise duties, hydrocarbon oils, landfill tax and aggregates levy. He has worked with clients in a wide variety of industry areas which include manufacturing, housing, telecommunications, local authorities, financial services and food and drink industries and has represented clients at all stages of the court structure up to and including the Court of Justice of the European Union.
His reported cases include:
- United Biscuits (Pension Trustees)  EWHC 2895 (Ch) and currently before the CJEU (C-235/10)
- Wellcome Trust  UKFTT 599 (TC) and currently before the CJEU
- Healthspan  UKFTT 241 (TC) and currently before the CJEU
- Rank Group  UKUT 100 (TCC)
- Rank Group  UKFTT 251 (TC)
- Investment Trust Companies  UKSC 29
- R. (oao Drax Power Ltd) v HMRC  EWHC 228 (Admin)
- Infinis Energy Holdings Ltd  EWCA Civ 1030
- Iveco Limited v HMRC  UKUT 263 (TCC)
- Brother Industries UK Ltd  UKFTT 788 (TC)
- London Borough of Ealing (C-633/15)
- Colaingrove Limited (Verandahs) v HMRC  UKUT 2 (TCC)
- Colaingrove Limited (fuel and power)  UKUT 80 (TCC)
- WM Morrison Supermarkets Plc v HMRC  UKFTT 366 (TC)
- Asda Stores Ltd (C-372/06)
- Helena Housing Ltd  EWCA Civ 569
- Matalan Retail Ltd  EWHC 2046 (Ch)
- Carlsberg and InBev  EWCA Civ 82
David is a regular speaker at tax conferences and seminars.
Joined the Solicitor’s Office of HM Customs and Excise as an Executive Officer in 1989 and later became a Trainee Solicitor. Qualified in 1999 on joining Kent Jones and Done to undertake commercial litigation before moving back into indirect tax litigation in an inhouserole in KPMG LLP in 2000. Joined PwC Legal’s tax litigation team as partner in 2011 to further develop their nationwide practice. CTA qualified.
Chartered Institute of Taxation
Associate of the Institute of Indirect Taxation
Member of the VAT Practitioners Group.
St George’s School, Hong Kong; City of Birmingham Polytechnic (1989 BA (Hons) Sociology 2(1)); Staffordshire University (1995 Graduate Diploma in Law – commendation; 1997 Legal Practice Course – distinction).
Classic cars, Stoke City FC, gardening and travel.
PwC LLP‘s indirect tax disputes team advises across the full spectrum of indirect tax. The team’s areas of expertise range from VAT and landfill tax to the aggregates levy and climate change levy. Practice head David Anderson is a ‘brilliant technician‘ with a broad client base that covers the manufacturing, retail, social housing, telecoms, local authorities and financial services sectors. ‘Strategic thinker‘ Jayne Harrold leads the UK environmental tax group and assists a range of utilities, landfill site operators and waste plants on VAT and environmental tax issues. Director Christian Bell is another key individual and specialises in financial services indirect tax dispute resolution. Bell represents clients in disputes that involve VAT exemptions, anti-avoidance and VAT grouping and entitlement to claim. Senior manager Claire Millard is ‘outstanding‘ and has a broad indirect tax litigation practice.
PwC LLP displays a wide range of expertise and experience, handling complex, multi-jurisdictional customs and excise investigations, as well as tax litigation. The team has particular expertise in environmental tax and advises clients on tax-related issues in the energy, waste and construction sectors. David Anderson heads up the practice and has significant experience advising clients on tax matters from a broad range of industries including the manufacturing, retail, social housing and telecoms industries. Jayne Harrold leads the UK environmental tax group and Prinal Nathwani is experienced in managing customs and excise disputes, and handling issues with HMRC.
PwC LLP has a broad tax practice comprising of solicitors, barristers, accredited mediators, CTAs and accountants. The team’s core strengths are handling direct, indirect, employment and environmental tax litigation, tax investigations and transfer pricing. The team represents a wide variety of clients in financial services, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, healthcare, education, retail, local government and pensions. Mark Whitehouse heads the direct tax disputes practice and has particular experience in group litigation orders, tax planning and corporate tax appeals. David Anderson leads the indirect tax disputes work and specialises in VAT. Legal disputes practice head and barrister Stephen Morse specialises in tax litigation and disputes resolution. Peter Johnson, a chartered accountant and chartered tax advisor is also noted.
- Customs and excise - London > Corporate and commercial
- Tax litigation and investigations - London > Dispute resolution
- VAT and indirect tax - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Corporate and commercial > International business reorganisations
- Real estate > Environment
- Investment fund formation and management > Hedge funds
- Corporate and commercial > Customs and excise
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Employment > Employers
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Property finance
- Investment fund formation and management > Hedge funds