Mr Doru Gavril > Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP > Silicon Valley, United States > Lawyer Profile
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP Offices
2710 Sand Hill Road
- Go to...
Mr Doru Gavril
Doru Gavril represents public companies and their officers and directors in shareholder litigation, government and internal investigations, and advises on corporate governance matters.
Doru’s practice involves complex, multi-forum litigation across the entire range of shareholder disputes: securities class actions, derivative actions, shareholder class actions, deal litigation and books and records actions. Doru has had extensive experience litigating cutting edge issues in the securities field, such as concurrent federal and state jurisdiction over Securities Act actions, forum selection provisions in foundational corporate documents, the applicability of materially adverse change clauses and disputed tender offers.
Before joining Freshfields, Doru worked at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. Prior to that, Doru served as a judicial extern in the chambers of the Honorable Marilyn Hall Patel of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. During his graduate studies, Doru was a teaching fellow at Harvard University, where he taught sections of courses on the presidency, Congress and introductory economics. He also served as a legislative intern for Senator Carl Levin of Michigan and Representative Robert A. Brady of Pennsylvania.
- J.D., Stanford Law School
Recipient, Class of 1959 Silver Anniversary Scholarship and John Hart Ely Prize for empirical research of jury trials
- M.A., Political Science, Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- B.A., Political Science and Economics, Swarthmore College
With High Honors; Recipient, Laurama Page Pixton Scholarship and J. Roland Pennock Fellowship in Public Affairs
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP ‘has made a huge investment in this US market and it shows – they have captured an immense amount of legal talent in a short time‘, remarks one client. The firm has continued to carve out a prominent position in complex, multi-location cases, and has attracted new clients for deal-related litigation, among them AstraZeneca, Carlotz and Cazoo. ‘Incredibly smart litigator‘ Meredith Kotler and Mary Eaton in New York are co-heads of securities and shareholder litigation, and they acted on challenges to AstraZeneca’s $39bn acquisition of Alexion and Carlotz’ $827mn de-SPAC transaction, among others. Boris Feldman, who leads the US technology practice from Silicon Valley, has defended more than 240 shareholder class actions in his lengthy career. With emerging talent Doru Gavril, also based in Silicon Valley, Feldman is acting for new client Mandiant, a cybersecurity company based on the West Coast, in a shareholder challenge to the $1.2bn sale of its products business to a private equity buyer.
The New York office of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP has ‘a very strong team that is proactive, hands on, and creative‘. The firm has quickly blazed a trail in the market, thanks largely to the efforts of co-heads Meredith Kotler and Mary Eaton. While a recently established group, it offers a strong bench of experienced partners, among them Boris Feldman, who in his lengthy career has defended more than 240 shareholder class actions, derivative suits, and merger challenges. Up-and-coming partner Doru Gavril in Silicon Valley has played a key role in high-profile matters for major technology companies. Feldman, Eaton and Gavril secured a complete victory in a putative class action for Pinterest, its CEO and CFO in which plaintiffs alleged the company made false and misleading statements in the first and second quarters of 2019 about its future growth. Kotler represented 3M in a federal securities class action concerning the company’s alleged failure to adequately reserve funds to cover potential liability in environmental, mass tort, and other litigation based on its prior production of certain chemicals.
- M&A litigation: defense - United States > Dispute resolution
- Securities litigation: defense - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Tax > International tax
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Tax > Financial products
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Antitrust > Merger control
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- International Trade > International trade
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - litigation and regulation