Mr Geir Sviggum > Wikborg Rein > Oslo, Norway > Lawyer Profile
Wikborg Rein Offices
Dronning Mauds gate 11
P.O.Box 1513 Vika
- Go to...
Mr Geir Sviggum
Ligitation and Arbitration, Corporate Compliance and Crisis Management, Trade Law
Geir Sviggum is Managing Partner International with overall responsibility for Wikborg Rein’s international operations. He headed the firm’s Shanghai office from 2008 to 2013. Sviggum’s main focus is on the most internationalized Norwegian industries – Energy, Offshore & Shipping. He advises large and medium sized Norwegian, Chinese and international enterprises within these sectors. He speGeir Sviggum is a Partner at Wikborg Rein’s Oslo office and is part of the firm’s Corporate Compliance and Crisis Management practice. He is also a member of the firm’s board of directors. Geir headed the firm’s Shanghai office from 2008 to 2013 and was Managing Partner International with overall responsibility for Wikborg Rein’s internal practice from 2012 to 2016.
Geir Sviggum’s specialities are threefold:
– Compliance with a particular focus on anti-bribery and crisis management, hereunder criminal law consequences and civil disputes triggered by potential misconduct. Geir’s experience spans from a role as public defender in Norwegian courts to crisis management on behalf of listed Norwegian companies following suspected misconduct, preventive advisory work for Norwegian companies and public authorities in their anti-bribery work and lecturing on anti-bribery legislation at universities in several countries;
– Dispute resolution focusing on larger disputes of international nature. Geir has significant experience from Norwegian courts as well as arbitration- and court processes in several countries;
– Advisory work to medium-sized and large Norwegian industry- and technology enterprises in their international exposure, hereunder regulatory issues, sales contracts, distribution contracts, production contracts, agent contracts and risk preventive measures. Geir further has significant experience as legal advisor to Norwegian authorities with regard to Norway’s various international exposure.
During Geir’s time in China he was highlighted in local and regional rankings as among China’s “15 Rising Stars” in the legal profession for “impressive achievements” and among the 100 most influential lawyers in Asia.
Geir Sviggum is frequently used as speaker at universities, conferences and in other fora.cializes in dispute resolution and has handled international arbitrations and other complex disputes in Asia and several European countries. He further specializes in construction- and fabrication contracts on- and offshore and has been lead counsel for construction projects in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Asia. In 2013 Sviggum was – as the only Western lawyer – ranked by Thomson Reuters among China’s “Rising Stars” within the legal profession for his “stunning achievement”. He is also ranked by Thomson Reuters among the 100 most influential lawyers in Asia. He is recommended by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500, Asia Pacific, where he is praised for providing “first-rate advice, commercial understanding and the ability to negotiate”. Sviggum is frequently used as speaker at universities, conferences and in other fora.
2016- Partner, Wikborg Rein, Oslo, 2014- Managing Partner International, Wikborg Rein, Oslo. 2012-2013 Managing Partner International, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai. 2010- Partner, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai. 2008 Resident Lawyer, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai. 2007-2008 Senior Associate, Wikborg Rein, Bergen. 2003-2006 Associate, Wikborg Rein, Bergen. 1997-1998 Officer and Second in Command, Infantry Platoon/Platoon Leader, HM Royal Guards. 1996-1997 Reserve Officer and Second in Command, Infantry Platoon, HM Royal Guards.
2005 Practising Certificate. 2003 Cand.jur., University of Bergen. 2002 Optional subject, International civil law, Bond University, Australia. 1996 Officer’s Training School for the Infantry Regiment of Trøndelag County.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading Individuals)
Wikborg Rein‘s practice is ‘a true one-stop shop for complex cross-border compliance matters and crisis management‘. Led by Elisabeth Roscher, the team’s workload includes private investigations and anti-money laundering, anti-corruption and international sanctions matters. Geir Sviggum ‘is the rock that you need in a crisis‘; he regularly handles anti-bribery mandates for Norwegian public authorities. Senior lawyer Tine Elisabeth Vigmostad has solid experience in acting in international investigations concerning alleged corruption and other forms of misconduct.
- Leading Individuals - Norway > Regulatory, compliance and investigations
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations - Norway
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance (including shipping finance)
- Capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Electricity and renewable energy
- EU and competition
- Fishing and aquaculture
- Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Intellectual property
- Maritime law
- Offshore construction and shipbuilding
- Public procurement
- Real estate
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations