David Greene > Edwin Coe LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Edwin Coe LLP Offices
2 STONE BUILDINGS
- Go to...
David was articled with Edwin Coe and qualified in 1980, becoming a partner in 1984. He was appointed Senior Partner of the Firm in April 2011. David specialises in commercial litigation including competition claims and claims on behalf of shareholders, and is Head of the Group Action Litigation department.
He has developed a strong following in contentious competition work being involved in cases in front of the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT), High Court and Competition Commission. He has for many years advised sovereign states on disputes in international tribunals and particularly specialises in work involving governments in sub-Saharan Africa.
David was appointed by the Lord Chancellor to the Civil Procedure Rules Committee in 1997. He was then appointed in 2002 as a member of the Civil Justice Council. He is the author of “Civil Procedure Rules”, an associate editor of “Civil Practice Manual”, on the editorial board of Butterworths’ “The Civil Court Practice” (“the Green Book”), a contributor to the Law Society’s “Civil Litigation Manual”, and the author of two titles for Atkins Court Forms.
Trained Edwin Coe; qualified 1980; partner 1984. Law Society’s Deputy Vice President 2018, Vice President 2019 and President 2020. President of the London Solicitors Litigation Association (2008 – 2010). Publications of note: editor and contributor ‘Civil Court Practice’ (Butterworths); contributor ‘Civil Litigation Handbook’; author ‘Atkins Court Forms’; author ‘Civil Procedure Rules’; contributor ‘International Employment’.
Council member Law Society (international practice); IBA; American Bar Association (international section); executive member Eastern Africa Association; Royal Africa Society; trustee The Music Centre; consultant editor to the New law Journal; The Law Society (International Practice).
London University (MSc); College of Law.
Edwin Coe LLP is well-equipped to act for claimants in cases of mass fraud and has ‘outstanding’ know-how in claims relating to timeshare fraud and high-profile insolvency matters. The team, spearheaded by David Greene and Ali Zaidi who are specialists in the commercial litigation and insolvency fields respectively, is recognised for its involvement in fraudulent misconduct claims and advising on asset avoidance schemes.
‘A medium-sized firm with a great reputation in litigation‘, Edwin Coe LLP regularly acts in actions against major banks, in relation to sizeable commercial losses arising from contracts, failed investments and the mis-selling of financial products. The team also acts in substantial commercial judicial reviews and breaches of confidence claims. Ali Zaidi specialises in fraud-related cases, and insolvency and reconstruction matters; David Greene is ‘one of the best litigation solicitors practising in the City‘; Zahira Hussain routinely assists with contract-related claims; and elevated to partner in April 2023, barrister Thomas Johnson is experienced in fraud cases, finance disputes, and company law.
Edwin Coe LLP fields a ‘lean and nimble team which punches well above its weight in heavy duty commercial litigation‘, with over 30 years of experience in group claims across a wide array of sectors. Public law litigation is a key strength of the practice, which notably acted on the Post Office litigation concerning sub-postmasters. ‘Charming and totally switched-on’ David Greene, a former President of the Law Society, leads the team that consist of ‘very efficient and perceptive’ Zahira Hussain, both with a wealth of experience representing claimants in collective actions. Other noted practitioners within the team include the ‘very hard working’ Thomas Johnson, and Canadian-qualified senior associate Fred Sheppard.
- Hall of Fame London > Dispute resolution > Group litigation: Claimant
- Hall of Fame London > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Commercial litigation: mid-market London > Dispute resolution
- Group litigation: Claimant London > Dispute resolution
- Fraud: civil London > Crime, fraud and licensing
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Group litigation: Claimant
- Insurance > Insurance litigation: for policyholders
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- Real estate > Residential property
- Employment > Senior executives
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Real estate > Property finance
- Employment > Employers
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate