Energy transactions: oil and gas in United States
Primarily centred out of its Texas stronghold, the 'excellent team' at Baker Botts L.L.P. has longstanding experience across the gamut of transactional work impacting clients in the oil and gas industry. Combining 'vast industry knowledge' with cutting-edge corporate and financing expertise, the team provides 'great judgement and sound advice', and is regularly involved in many of the most significant upstream, midstream and downstream mandates in the market. Houston-based partner Erin Hopkins has a flourishing reputation and is frequently at the forefront of the firm's biggest ticket M&A mandates, including his work (which included the mobilization of lawyers from across many different practice areas) for BHP Billiton on its $10.5bn sale of oil and gas interests in the Eagle Ford, Haynesville and Permian basins. Houston-based partner Jason Bennett is one of the overarching co-heads of the firm's energy, projects and transactions team, and alongside his core oil and gas expertise, is also regularly engaged in complex liquified natural gas (LNG) corporate and commercial matters. Promoted to partner at the beginning of 2019, Houston-based partner Scott Looper is also gaining recognition in the oil and gas space, both from a domestic and international perspective.
Other key lawyers:
The firm has vast industry knowledge.
The team is excellent and provides great judgement and sound advice.
Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc.
Murphy Exploration & Production Company
Kimbell Royalty Partners
Matador Resources Company
Delek US Holdings, Inc.
Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Advised BHP Billiton on its $10.5bn sale of oil and gas interests in the Eagle Ford, Haynesville and Permian basins.
- Advised Carrizo on its pending $3.2bn merger with Callon Petroleum Company,
- Represented Murphy Oil Corporation’s subsidiary, Murphy Exploration & Production Company – USA, in its $1.6bn agreement to acquire deep water Gulf of Mexico assets from LLOG Exploration Offshore and LLOG Bluewater Holdings.
- Advising MEGlobal on the development of an MEG Plant in the Texas Gulf Coast, together with a significant contribution to the development, construction and operation of a world scale ethylene facility being built by the Dow Chemical Company.
- Advised Kimbell Royalty Partners in the $151.3m acquisition of oil and gas royalty assets.
Led from Houston by Anthony Speier and Andrew Calder, and also benefiting from a significant number of oil and gas focused transactional lawyers operating out of the firm's nascent Dallas office, the 'very responsive and knowledgeable' team at Kirkland & Ellis LLP continues its upward trajectory in the sector, with clients benefiting not only from the firm's longstanding M&A and finance expertise but also considerable sector knowledge. Although it is active across the value chain, the team is perhaps best-known for its upstream offering and has been involved in a significant amount of the recent consolidation in the space, including its recent work for petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company Newfield Exploration on its $7.7bn merger with Encana Corporation. The firm is also able to leverage its longstanding private equity ties with heavy-hitters including KKR and the Carlyle Group which have seized on the relatively recent downturn in the sector to purchase assets at a discount with a view to realizing significant value through divestments in the years to come. 'Knowledgeable, responsive and business-oriented' partner David Castro has a flourishing reputation for M&A and capital works in the sector on behalf of public companies and private equity firms and is a key member of the team that also includes Sean Wheeler, William Benitez and 'seasoned professional' Lindsey Jaquillard. All practitioners named are based out of Houston.
Other key lawyers:
Seasoned professionals with significant expertise across a variety of complicated situations, who are also hyper-responsive to client needs.
Very knowledgeable of current industry trends and deal complexities.
The energy transaction team has the most sophisticated practice in town, they are able to handle any deal and always add a tremendous amount of value.
The knowledgeable, responsive and business-oriented David Castro is probably the best lawyer in town when you take knowledge, responsiveness, business sense and demeanor all into account.
Rahul Vashi is top notch and is very strong on understanding complex oil and gas matters.
The Blackstone Group
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
The Carlyle Group
Bain Capital Credit
Quantum Energy Partners
NGP Energy Capital Management
EIG Global Energy Partners
Bayou City Energy Management
Bison Oil & Gas
Carnelian Energy Capital Management
Siguler Guff & Company
Development Capital Resources
Magnolia Oil and Gas Corporation
Falcon Mineral Corporation
Haymaker Minerals & Royalties
Indigo Natural Resources
Vine Oil & Gas
Vanguard Natural Resources
GSO Capital Partners
Ensign Natural Resources
Fleur de Lis Energy
Harvest Oil and Gas Corporation
Maverick Natural Resources
Northern Oil and Gas, Inc.
Red Wolf Natural Resources
Riviera Resources, Inc.
Roxo Energy Company
Royal Resources Partners
Venado Oil & Gas
Amplify Energy Corporation
Cobalt International Energy
Newfield Exploration Company
- Advised petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company Newfield Exploration on its $7.7bn merger with Encana Corporation.
- Advised Hilcorp Alaska on its $5.6bn acquisition of BP’s upstream and midstream business in Alaska.
- Advised SemGroup Corporation on its approximately $5.1bn sale to Energy Transfer LP.
- Acted for Raisa Energy in the issuance of asset-back securities secured by producing oil and gas wells.
- Advised KKR in connection with Spur Energy Partner’s $925m acquisition of assets in the New Mexico Shelf from Concho Resources Inc.
Co-headed by Ryan Maierson and Christopher Cross from Houston and New York, respectively, Latham & Watkins LLP has 'a wealth of experience' in the sector on behalf of corporates, funds, government institutions and lenders across the waterfront of M&A mandates, joint ventures and capital markets work. Praised for its ability to provide 'extremely practical solutions', the team is particularly active in relation to upstream and midstream work, with Maierson recently advising Citizen Energy Operating on its $1bn acquisition of oil and natural gas exploration and production company, Roan Resources. Houston-based partner Stephen Szalkowski continues to gain plaudits in the market for his 'commercially astute advice' on acquisitions, joint ventures, and private equity investments in the upstream (exploration and production) and midstream sectors of the oil and gas industry. 'Superb' Houston-based partner Robin Fredrickson 'is very experienced in oil and gas transactions' and provides a 'first-class service' for strategic investors and private equity firms engaged in acquisitions and divestitures of upstream and midstream energy assets. In addition to advice on purely domestic work, the team also often works alongside practitioners from across the firm's vast international network on cross-border matters. Justin Stolte joined from Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
The team has a wealth of experience and provides extremely practical solutions.
The firm has a very deep and experienced team covering oil and gas transactions.
The response time is unparalleled and they have always been able to deliver advice and turn around agreement drafts in a timely manner.
When necessary, they are able to present advice that the business does not want to hear in a way that helps them understand the issues at hand.
The superb Robin Fredrickson is very experienced in oil and gas transactions. What really sets her apart is that she knows the issues clients face in these transactions and is able to help clients work through thorny issues that always seem to come up.
Stephen Szalkowski provides commercially astute advice.
Stephen Szalkowski strikes the perfect balance between potential liability protection and commercial reasonableness / risk adjusted assessments.
Stephen Szalkowski exhibited great technical knowledge and was extremely user friendly.
QEP Resources, Inc.
Energy Transfer LP
Midstates Petroleum Company
IPSCO Tubulars Inc.
Credit Suisse USA
EQM Midstream Partners
Citizen Energy Operating
Hess Midstream Partners
- Representing Citizen Energy Operating in its all-cash acquisition of Roan Resources, an oil and natural gas exploration and production company.
- Representing Hess Midstream Partners in its acquisition of Hess Infrastructure Partners.
- Representing Pembina Pipeline Corporation on its acquisition of Kinder Morgan Canada, a Canada-based company that transports petroleum products, and the US portion of the Cochin Pipeline from Kinder Morgan.
- Advising IPSCO Tubulars Inc. on its sale to Tenaris, a global manufacturer and supplier of steel pipes and related services.
- Advising EQM Midstream Partners, on its acquisition of a 60% interest in Eureka Midstream Holdings and a 100% interest in Hornet Midstream Holdings, as well as the related $1bn preferred equity financing on the NYSE.
Deeply imbued in the energy ecosystem since its foundation over 100 years ago, Texas headquartered powerhouse Vinson & Elkins LLP has a peerless track record across the full spectrum of oil and gas transactions throughout the value chain, where it 'can be relied on for complex, bespoke transactions'. A balanced client roster, which includes private equity sponsors, public companies, independent oil and gas exploration and production companies, ensures that it is well hedged and is well-versed across the gamut of both private and strategic M&A. As well as transactional lawyers with core oil and gas industry expertise, the firm is also able to draw upon practitioners with the requisite regulatory, tax and environmental knowledge. Corporate head Keith Fullenweider has excellent private equity-related oil and gas credentials and recently advised TPG Pace Energy Holdings on its $2.66bn acquisition from EnerVest of the oil and gas assets within EnerVest’s South Texas Division. The 'very experienced, practical and responsive' John Connally co-heads the firm's overarching energy transactions and projects group alongside Kaam Sahely, and has vast experience in the midstream and upstream areas, in particular. Bryan Loocke 'is a wizard when it comes to oil and gas and market knowledge', and alongside Danielle Patterson is one of the younger generation of partners at the firm who is garnering significant praise from clients. All named practitioners are based in Houston.
The firm has deep knowledge and experience in all aspects of upstream oil and gas operations, financing and transactions.
The team is very knowledgeable of current industry trends and deal complexities.
They know the “nuts and bolts” of the oil and gas industry better than most of their peers.
The team can be relied on for complex, bespoke transactions.
Bryan Loocke is a wizard when it comes to oil and gas and market knowledge.
Blackstone Energy Partners and Blackstone Capital Partners
Caerus Oil and Gas LLC
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
The Carlyle Group
Charger Shale Oil Company
Chisholm Oil and Gas, LLC
Devon Energy Corp.
Driftwood LNG LLC and Tellurian Inc.
Energy Transfer Partners
Gastar Exploration Inc.
Lucid Energy Group II, LLC
Noble Midstream Partners
Northwoods Energy LLC
Oasis Petroleum Inc.
Pioneer Natural Resources USA, Inc.
Quantum Energy Partners
Rosehill Resources, Inc.
RSP Permian, Inc.
Select Energy Services, Inc.
TPG Pace Energy Holdings Corp.
Valorem Energy, LLC
Ward Energy Partners, LLC
DCP Midstream and an Affiliate of Targa Resources
- Advised RSP Permian on its sale to Concho Resources in an all-stock transaction valued at approximately $9.5bn, inclusive of RSP’s net debt.
- Advised TPG Pace Energy Holdings Corp. in its acquisition from EnerVest of oil and gas assets within EnerVest’s South Texas Division for approximately $2.66bn in cash and stock.
- Advised Devon Energy Corp. in its definitive agreement to sell the southern portion of its Barnett Shale position for $553m.
- Advised affiliates of Quantum Energy Partners and Post Oak Energy Capital in the agreement to sell substantially all of the assets of Oryx Southern Delaware Holdings and Oryx Delaware Holdings to funds managed by Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners for a cash purchase price of approximately $3.6bn.
- Advised Whistler Energy II, LLC and its subsidiaries in connection with a sale of all of the equity interests in Whistler Energy II, LLC to Talos Production LLC.
The 'very highly rated' team at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is steeped in the nuances and commercial realities of transactional work within the sector for an impressive roster of publicly traded energy/oil and gas companies, including Diamondback Energy, which it advised on its $9.2bn acquisition of Energen Corporation. The team is headed out of Houston by Christine LaFollette and John Goodgame, who both have significant experience across a range of corporate and financing transactions in the sector, with Goodgame benefiting from particular strength in transactions related to master limited partnerships (MLPs). At a more junior level, David Sweeney continues to impress clients in the market in relation to oil and gas-related M&A and financing transactions. Leveraging the firm's high-calibre insolvency/financing offering from New York, the team is regularly instructed by bondholder clients in big-ticket oil and gas restructurings, an area where it benefits not only from strong US capabilities but also globally - most notably out of London.
A very highly-rated team.
Genesis Energy, L.P.
Diamondback Energy, Inc.
EOG Resources, Inc.
Valero Energy Partners LP
Gulfport Energy Corp.
Sanchez Energy Corp.
Cimarex Energy Corp.
NGP Energy Capital Management
Anadarko Petroleum Corp.
BP Midstream Partners LP
- Advised Diamondback Energy on its $9.2bn acquisition of Energen Corporation.
- Represented NGP Energy Capital Management, the largest shareholder of WildHorse Resource Development Corporation, in WildHorse’s $3.97bn sale to Chesapeake Energy Corporation.
- Represented Cimarex Energy on its $1.6bn acquisition of Resolute Energy Corporation.
- Represented SRC Energy on its $1.7bn strategic consolidation combination with PDC Energy.
- Represented SRC Energy on its $1.7bn strategic consolidation combination with PDC Energy.
Led from Houston by Alan Rafte and James McAnelly, Bracewell LLP is well-versed at handling a wide range of transactional work for a balanced roster of clients throughout the value chain, from upstream exploration and development companies and oilfield service businesses, through to storage and terminals companies. In addition to purely domestic mandates, the team is well-placed to advise on multi-jurisdictional matters, often working alongside lawyers from the firm's dedicated energy offering from London. Upstream and midstream matters are particular areas of strength for the team, both in relation to M&A and financing work.
Eni Petroleum US
Blue Ridge Mountain Resources, Inc.
Altus Midstream Company and Altus Midstream LP
Global Infrastructure Partners Capital Solutions Fund
Harvest Midstream Company (an affiliate of Hilcorp Energy Company)
Kinder Morgan, Inc.
COG Operating LLC (a subsidiary of Concho Resources Inc.)
Halcón Resources Corporation
Global Infrastructure Partners
Pilot Travel Centers
Par Pacific Holdings, Inc.
Pioneer Natural Resources Company
Drilling Tools International, Inc.
Matlin & Partners Acquisition Corporation
- Represented Eni Petroleum US in several matters, including the acquisition of a 30% interest and a follow-on deal for the remaining 70% and operatorship of the Oooguruk oil field in Alaska from Caelus Natural Resources Alaska.
- Represented Blue Ridge Mountain Resources in an all-stock merger with Eclipse Resources.
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in connection with the negotiated executed and subsequent termination of a $950m cash and stock transaction involving both producing and non-producing assets in the Midland Basin.
- Represented Altus Midstream Company and Altus Midstream LP in connection with Altus Midstream’s entry into definitive agreements to issue $625m of preferred equity in a private placement and amend its credit facility.
- Counselled Global Infrastructure Partners Capital Solutions Fund on its preferred equity investment of up to $200m in Dos Rios Crude Intermediate LLC.
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Although perhaps lacking the scale and critical mass of the top-tier firms, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP is able to leverage vast energy-related transactional expertise spread throughout the US and globally. The relatively recent opening of the firm's Houston office in 2017 has galvanized its expertise in the area and indeed houses a significant number of the most prominent practitioners at the firm, including co-head Michael Darden. The 'fantastic' Darden is well-versed in the commercial nuances associated with transactional work in the sector, as a result not only from private practice but also significant in-house expertise. The firm's Colorado office is also a key resource for work in the sector, particularly in light of its track record advising on both public and private M&A transactions. Leveraging the firm's international network, the team is also well-placed to represent clients across multi-jurisdictional matters. Justin Stolte left for Latham & Watkins LLP.
Michael Darden is fantastic.
Concho Resources / subsidiary COG Operating
Williams and Williams Partners LP Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line (Transco) and Northwest Pipeline, wholly-owned subsidiaries of Williams
Arkoma Drilling and Williston Drilling
American Midstream Partners
ArcLight Capital Partners
Gran Tierra Energy
- Advising Occidental Petroleum Corporation in the formation of a joint venture with Ecopetrol to develop 97,000 net acres of Occidental’s Midland Basin properties in the Permian Basin.
- Advised Concho Resources on the $925m sale of its assets in the New Mexico Shelf to an affiliate of Spur Energy Partners.
- Represented Murphy Oil Corporation in the formation of a joint venture with Petrobras for ownership and development of Gulf of Mexico assets.
- Represents EnerVest in its $2.6bn sale of Eagle Ford and Austin Chalk assets to TPG Pace Energy Holdings, an energy-focused special purpose acquisition entity led by former Occidental Petroleum Corporation CEO Steve Chazen.
- Advised private equity firm, First Reserve Corporation, on the $1.22bn sale of the Deep Gulf Energy company to Kosmos Energy.
Primarily centred out of Houston and also aided by corporate practitioners in New York with significant oil and gas-related expertise, the 'dynamic and flexible' team at King & Spalding LLP is 'extremely strong in the oil and gas sector' and has a 'deep understanding across the gamut of issues', including as it relates to regulatory, commercial/trading, technical and operational matters. 'A consistent high performer in innovative complex transactions in the energy space', the firm has a 'solid bench of top talent', enabling it to provide 'creative and eloquent solutions' for domestic and international energy companies, private equity firms and strategic investors on corporate and finance work across the value chain of transactions in the sector. LNG work is a significant driver of the firm's practice, an area that was bolstered following the arrival of the 'very well-respected' David Lang from Baker McKenzie LLP in January 2019. Peter Hays and the 'commercial and highly ethical' Stuart Zisman are particularly strong at handling upstream and midstream M&A and joint venture work, and are both key members of the team that also includes LNG construction expert Scott Greer and Vera De Brito de Gyarfas, whose former on the ground experience in Venezuela adds credibility to the team's ability to handle energy projects throughout Latin America.
Other key lawyers:
The team is dynamic, flexible to client needs and able to respond quickly to the fast pace that these types of transactions require.
King & Spalding is a consistent high performer in innovative complex transactions in the energy space
King and Spalding has a solid bench of top talent that are always ready, willing and able to jump into projects, both large and small.
This team throws very pragmatic lawyers into complex commercial situations with a lot of stress and tight deadlines with difficult clients.
The firm is large and extremely strong in the oil and gas sector – with deep understanding of the gamut of issues.
In addition to being solid corporate lawyers, they are skilled advisors on industry trends and players, alternative commercial structures, and how similar deals have been and are now being done around the globe.
David Lang is very well respected not only because of his deep knowledge of LNG but also his ability to work on multiple types of energy transactions.
David Lang is very knowledgeable on LNG project development and marketing work. Easy to work with, calm demeanor, and understands how to close out complex, contentious issues in a way that balances risk and reward.
Stuart Zisman is a consummate professional, and someone who I regard as one of the finest attorneys with whom I have ever worked. His intelligence, wit, demeanor and attitude make him someone you always want on your side in complex transactions.
Stuart Zisman is unique in the industry in that he has spent a great deal of time in both commercial and legal regimens. His commercial insights are highly valuable in that they allow him to quickly and appropriately assist our team in choosing the appropriate and efficient legal path to take.
Scott Greer could write the book on LNG EPC. We look to Scott for all our EPC-related work and trust his judgment on complex, high value matters.
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
InstarAGF Asset Management
Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority
Sierra Oil & Gas
Starwood Energy Group Global Inc.
- Advised Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority on a $1.5bn negotiation of a fuel supply and facility conversion agreement.
- Represented Anadarko on the long-term offtake and marketing of LNG volumes from the Mozambique LNG project.
- Represented InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure in its leveraged buyout of a portfolio of US pipeline and terminal assets.
- Represented Clear Creek Resources on a suite of long-term agreements covering crude oil gathering and water services.
- Advised InstarAGF on its Acquisition of Oilfield Water Logistics.
Attuned to market trends and developments, Norton Rose Fulbright is able to provide a 'focused and commercial service' to a wide array of oil and gas entities, including national and international oil companies, independents, and traders. LNG remains a cornerstone of the practice, with the firm continuing to advise a myriad stakeholders throughout the value chain and project life cycle, from project inception and development through to commercialization, project financing, and operational matters. The firm is, however, perhaps best-known for its financing work in the space, where Washington DC-based partner Noam Ayali has a particularly strong reputation for lenders. Houston-based associate Jessica Rodriguez is well-versed at corporate work across the oil and gas and LNG spaces. Based out of Houston and New York, respectively, John Mauel and Keith Martin head up the firm's energy transactions and project finance groups.
The team provides a very focused and commercial service.
Cheniere Energy Partners
International Finance Corporation
Enbridge (U.S.) Inc.
PDC Energy, Inc
- Advising lenders’ counsel for 30 banks in a syndicate that provided Cheniere Energy Partners $1.5bn in financing, comprised of a $750m term loan and a $750m revolving credit facility for letters of credit and working capital loans.
- Acted as lenders’ counsel, representing the joint lead arrangers, mandated lead arrangers and participating lenders, on the US$6.1bn Corpus Christi LNG Liquefaction Export Project Expansion Financing.
- Advised Enbridge in connection with the sale of Midcoast Operating and all of its subsidiaries to an affiliate of ArcLight Capital Partners.
- Represented PDC Energy on the sale of three companies (Permian Gas LLC, Permian Oil LLC, and Permian Water LLC) that collectively hold all of the midstream assets that are used by its wholly owned subsidiary, PDC Permian, Inc., in connection with the development and operation of its Delaware Basin oil and gas reserves.
- Advised on an upsizing and extension of the Corpus Christi project’s working capital facility, to increase the working capital facility to $1.2bn, to provide revolving working capital loans, letters of credit and swing line loans to the Corpus Christi LNG Project for ongoing operations and natural gas purchases.
Forming an integral part of the firm's overarching global practice group (which includes practitioners in situ in key energy centres throughout the Middle East, Europe and Asia), Shearman & Sterling LLP's 'very knowledgeable and well articulated' 60-strong US-based oil and gas team draws together a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers with significant industry knowledge across public and private M&A, joint ventures, banking/project finance, capital markets and restructuring. The 'excellent' Hugh Tucker heads up the firm's strategically important Houston offering which continues its upward trajectory with the recent arrivals of energy restructuring experts Ian Roberts and Luckey McDowell from Baker Botts L.L.P. in mid-2019. Although the team is adept at handling work throughout the value chain, it has been particularly active of late on some major midstream mandates, including Sarah McLean's recent representation of Oryx Midstream on its $3.6bn sale to Stonepeak Infrastructure. Coleson Bruce is particularly recommended for his work on behalf of transactions involving foreign first-time entrants to the US energy sector.
Other key lawyers:
The firm has a deep bench of energy attorneys that practice in multiple areas of energy, including domestic and international oil and gas, upstream, midstream, downstream and LNG.
Given its history representing energy clients, many of the supporting practice areas of the firm are also well versed in the needs of energy companies, including their employment and benefits, finance and tax groups.
Project teams have a good balance of partners, senior associates and junior associates as needed for the project.
Their teams work well together – even across practice groups and offices – and provide a seamless experience.
Partners Sarah McLean and Todd Lowther are always great to work with.
Oil Search Limited
Rangeland Energy II, LLC
Post Oak Energy Capital LP
The Dow Chemical Company
Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board
Mubadala Investment Corporation
GE Capital Global Holdings, LLC
Orion Resource Partners
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- Represented Oryx Midstream on its $3.6bn sale to Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners.
- Represented DTE Midstream in the $2.65bn acquisition of a gathering system and gathering pipeline in the Haynesville Shale in Louisiana.
- Represented Ecopetrol in its $1.5bn joint venture with Oxy to develop oil & gas assets in the Permian Basin.
- Represented INEOS in connection with the development of its virtual NGLs pipeline between the United States and its European facilities.
- Advised Oil Search Limited in its exercise of a $450m option to double its investment in the Nanushuk field in Alaska’s North Slope, while concurrently transacting to align project interests with Repsol E&P USA Inc.
Drawing on the market-leading capabilities of banking, capital markets, M&A and restructuring lawyers dispersed throughout the firm's Houston, New York and Washington DC offices, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP is a prominent presence in many high-profile and high-value financings, investments, acquisitions and disposals in the oil and gas sector. In addition to handling public M&A work, the team also regularly acts on behalf of the firm's institutional private equity client base, including Blackstone and KKR, on transactions in the sector. Finance partner Robert Rabalais heads up the Houston office and is a key member of the team that also includes New York-based head of energy and infrastructure David Lieberman.
The team is very knowledgeable about oil and gas, and reserve-based lending financings.
The responsive, enthusiastic, and helpful Erland Modesto is creative and commercial on financing mandates in the oil and gas space.
Eli Hunt is responsive and practical.
Christopher May and Eli Hunt are excellent lawyers, with calm and collaborative demeanors.
Arsenal Resources (fka Mountaineer Keystone)
Bank of Montreal
The Blackstone Group
Dixie Electric, LLC
EIG Management Company
First Reserve Corporation
JPMorgan Chase Bank
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
Marathon Oil Corporation
MUFG Union Bank
Navigator Energy Services, LLC
Riverstone Credit Partners
Royal Bank of Canada
Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
Templar Energy LLC
Tudor, Pickering & Holt Union Bank
Wells Fargo Bank
- Representation of KKR in connection with its joint venture with SemGroup to create a Canadian midstream infrastructure platform, SemCAMS Midstream ULC.
- Representation of First Reserve in its acquisition of and related acquisition financing for Dominion Energy’s 50% interest in Blue Racer Midstream, LLC, funded in part by equity from First Reserve Fund XIII and investment funds affiliated with First Reserve.
- Representation of JP Morgan Securities LLC and Tudor Pickering Holt & Co Advisors, as financial advisors to Energen Corporation, in connection with Energen’s sale to Diamondback Energy, Inc.
- Representation of JP Morgan Securities LLC, as financial advisor to UGI Corporation, in connection with UGI and AmeriGas Partners, L.P. entering into a merger agreement under which UGI will fully consolidate its ownership of AmeriGas by acquiring the 69.2 million publicly held common units it does not already own.
- Representation of Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners in connection with its definitive agreement with Venture Global LNG, Inc., under which Stonepeak will exclusively provide a $1.3bn equity investment in Venture Global’s 10 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) Calcasieu Pass LNG export facility in Cameron Parish, Louisiana.
Thompson & Knight LLP
The 'extremely business-oriented' team at Thompson & Knight LLP is 'very experienced in all aspects of oil and gas deals', and deploys this to excellent effect on mandates throughout the value chain, for a range of clients, including producers and developers of sites and private equity investors. The firm's ability to effectively service clients in a holistic fashion is facilitated by a 'top-tier tax group with extensive experience in oil and gas transactions', as well as the ability to draw upon the energy specific expertise of lawyers from across the environmental, litigation, labor and real estate fields. Niche areas of focus include work for clients on shale play transactions in the Permian Basin, advice on E&P and midstream joint ventures and advice on Drillco transactions. Houston-based Hunter White and Dallas-based Debra Villarreal and the 'practical and responsive' Andrew Derman jointly lead the team that is 'exceptional at negotiating good deals against peer law firms and companies'.
Other key lawyers:
The firm is very experienced in all aspects of oil and gas deals.
The team has strong knowledge of the law, the market and of the oil and gas industry.
They know the upstream oil and gas market as well as any “major firm”.
A top-tier tax group with extensive experience in oil and gas transactions.
The team is exceptional at negotiating good deals against peer law firms and companies.
The practical and responsive Andrew Derman has unique expertise in the industry and has a clear understanding of clients’ needs.
Cole Bredthauer’s attention to detail and industry knowledge is remarkable.
Robert Dougherty really knows the industry and market terms on transactions.
Holt Foster has unlimited energy and is extremely responsive.
Ajax Resources LLC
Basic Energy Services
BHP Billiton Ltd.
Chaparral Energy LLC
Natural Gas Partners
Oil India Limited
Petrobras America Inc.
Tailwater Capital LLC
- Represented Yorktown Energy Partners in the $5.8bn Antero Midstream simplification transaction.
- Represented Roan Holdings in the the formation of Roan Resources Inc.
- Represented Ajax Resources in $1.25bn sale to Diamondback Energy.
- Represented Tailwater Capital LLC in the formation of Tailwater Energy Fund III LP and Silver Creek Midstream CoInvest LP.
- Represented Basic Energy Services in its $300m notes offering.
Led from Houston by Harve Truskett and Hal Haltom, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP's oil and gas practice group advises an eclectic mix of clients, including independent producers, multinational oil companies, investors, and transportation and pipeline companies, across a wide array of onshore and offshore matters, from both a domestic and international perspective. 'Very strong' corporate co-head Michael O’Leary is regularly at the forefront of the firm's most significant oil and gas M&A and capital markets-related work for public companies, private equity sponsors and financial institutions; he recently advised Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners on its $3.6bn acquisition of the majority of the assets of Oryx Southern Delaware Holdings and Oryx Delaware Holdings. In addition to a steady pipeline of M&A mandates in the upstream and midstream sectors, the firm is also regularly engaged in commercial activity, including in relation to the drafting of exploration and development agreements, joint operating agreements, and oilfield service contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Michael O’Leary is very strong and easy to work with.
Hilcorp Energy Company
Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation
NGL Energy Partners
Trinidad Drilling Ltd.
ONEOK Partners, L.P.
QEP Resources, Inc.
Board of Directors of Viper Energy Partners
Polaris Production Partners
Offshore Domestic Group, LLC
Antero Midstream GP LP (Special Committee)
Tapstone Energy, LLC
Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
- Advised Evercore, the financial advisor to the Conflicts Committee of the Independent Board of Directors of the General Partner of Phillips 66 Partners LP (PSXP), in the elimination of all of Phillips 66 Co.’s Incentive Distribution Rights and general partner economic interests in PSXP in exchange for 101 million newly issued PSXP common units.
- Advised Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners on its $3.6bn acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Oryx Southern Delaware Holdings and Oryx Delaware Holdings.
- Advised the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of the General Partner of DCP Midstream on a transaction to eliminate all general partner economic interests and incentive distribution rights in exchange for 65 million newly issued DCP common units valued at approximately $1.53bn.
- Advised Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners on its $1bn initial equity commitment to Discovery Midstream Holdings II LL
- Advised Viper Energy Partners and the Board of Directors of the General Partner of Viper Energy Partners on its acquisition of certain mineral and royalty interests across the Midland and Delaware Basins from subsidiaries of Diamondback Energy.
Led from Houston by Jeffrey Schlegel, Jones Day's energy team excels at handling big-ticket oil and gas transactions by dint of its strong sector knowledge, competence across core substantive legal disciplines (including finance, corporate and tax), and its international footprint. The group has a strong pedigree for work throughout Latin America, and regularly teams up with lawyers on the ground in São Paulo, including on the recent high-profile representation of ENGIE on the $8.6bn acquisition and related financing of the majority of Transportadora Associada de Gás from Brazilian state oil company Petróleo Brasileiro. The arrival in May 2019 of Spanish speaking Alfredo Ramos from Thompson & Knight LLP enhances the firm's capabilities for handling deals with a Latin American connection.
Marathon Petroleum Corporation
South Louisiana Methanol
- Advised Total in its acquisition of Toshiba’s entire LNG presence in the US through the purchase of Toshiba America LNG Corporation and assignment of a Toshiba affiliate’s LNG contracts.
- Advised ENGIE in connection with the purchase and corresponding acquisition financing of 90% of Transportadora Associada de Gás SA, the largest natural gas transmission network owner in Brazil, from Brazilian state oil company Petróleo Brasileiro SA (Petrobras) for approximately $8.6bn.
- Advised South Louisiana Methanol LP in its definitive agreement with SABIC US Methanol LLC, a subsidiary of SABIC (Saudi Basic Industries Corporation), for the formation of a joint venture to develop the largest methanol production plant in North America.
- Advised Diversenergy, LLC on its acquisition by Stabilis Energy, Inc. and the formation of a joint venture named Energía Superior Gas Natural LLC between Grupo CLISA, Stabilis Energy, Inc. and the former owners of Diversenergy to develop the LNG market in Mexico.
- Advised Chevron on its $350m purchase of all of the equity interests of Pasadena Refining System Inc. (PRSI) and PRSI Trading, LLC from Petrobras America.
With offices in Texas, New York and Pennsylvania, the 'responsive and thorough' team at McGuireWoods LLP is well-placed to advise on oil and gas matters throughout the Appalachian region, as well as internationally, by virtue of its growing London office. Led out of Pittsburgh by Ryan Purpura and the 'extraordinary' Anthony Carna, the 'mutually supportive' team is well-versed across a range of M&A in the sector and also boasts a significant capability in relation to handling MLP matters. One of numerous lawyers at the firm with former in-house sector experience, Purpura is able to provide 'a very commercial' approach to upstream E&P companies on the acquisition and development of oil and gas interests, as well as to a growing roster of private equity sponsors, which he has successfully helped to nurture since joining the firm in 2014.
Other key lawyers:
The firm has depth, breadth and an engaging attitude and approach in the jurisdictions where we operate.
Their first drafts and format capture the essential components of a transaction, but exceed what we receive from other firms regarding protection and potential future liability or distress cases.
The firm’s turnaround times are exceptional and the personnel, whether first year or senior partner, gives you the confidence that your side and interests are fully considered.
It seeks closure on terms that the opposing parties are agreed upon without seeming to overreach on those issues that are the most contentious.
The lawyers are mutually supportive, communicate frequently and clearly with the client, and provides strategic alternatives.
Ryan Purpura provides very commercial advice.
Anthony Carna is extraordinary.
World Fuel Services Corporation
AB Energy Opportunity Fund
- Represented RBJ Operating LLC in the sale of the company and its operating subsidiary, RBJ & Associates LP, to PDPS Redshift Holdings LLC, an energy-focused subsidiary of Pilot Flying J.
- Advised Dominion Energy in a recapitalization of the company’s Cove Point LNG facility in Lusby, Maryland, by an affiliate of Brookfield Asset Management.
- Represented Tilden Marcellus, LLC, an independent E&P company, in the acquisition and financing of oil and gas assets, including wells, leases, and midstream gathering system from SWEPI LP, a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company, and the subsequent sale of the midstream gathering assets to UGI Texas Creek, LLC, a subsidiary of publicly-traded natural gas utility provider UGI Corporation.
- Advised AB Energy Opportunity Fund LP in an equity investment in Kingwood Partners LLC, the newly formed holding company of Texas-based oil and gas producer Kingwood Exploration LLC.
- Represented private equity firm, Intervale Capital on its sale of Epic Lift Systems, a leading provider of plunger lift, gas lift and complementary compression solutions, to Tally Energy Services, a private equity sponsored oilfield services company.
Headed from the firm's rapidly growing Houston office by Blake Winburne, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP's energy and infrastructure group provides 'very commercial and practical advice' to a diverse mix of integrated and independent oil companies, petrochemicals entities, private equity sponsors and banks. The eclectic client base, coupled with the diverse array of corporate and financing work the firm handles throughout the value chain, enables the team to provide a rounded and balanced perspective on transactional work in the space. Leveraging the firm's overarching structured finance strength, the team has recently handled several innovative securitization transactions relating to oil and gas assets, including Jonathan Ayre's work for the noteholders in the first-of-a-kind securitization of proved, developed producing oil and gas wellbore working interests of Raisa Energy.
The Houston M&A team is very commercial and practical.
Joe Roger is the best relationship partner I have dealt with at any of our outside law firms. He provides top-tier legal work, is on call 24/7, and ensures that we get practical advice for our projects. Best in class.
Equinor (formerly Statoil)
Wells Fargo Bank
Och-Ziff Capital Management Group
Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd.
ArcLight Capital Partners
Ocean Rig UDW, Inc.
EIF Veg Midstream
Cabot Oil & Gas Corp
- Represented Equinor (formerly Statoil) in the $965m acquisition of an additional 22.45% stake in the Caesar Tonga oil field (U.S. Gulf of Mexico) from Shell.
- Representing Borealis AG and NOVA Chemicals Corp. on an ongoing basis following the structuring of a joint venture with Total S.A. and Novealis Holdings LLC for petrochemicals assets on the US Gulf Coast.
- Advised Ocean Rig UDW, Inc. and affiliate TMS Offshore, Ltd in connection with Ocean Rig’s $2.7bn sale to Transocean in a cash-and-stock deal.
- Advised Total in the sale of its interest in the Chinook oil field to Murphy Oil Corporation.
- Represented the noteholders in the first-of-a-kind securitization of proved, developed producing oil and gas wellbore working interests of Raisa Energy.
Led from Houston by Robert Thomas and Randy King, Porter Hedges LLP's 'very responsive and commercial' 11-partner energy team has significant midstream and upstream transactional oil and gas expertise for public and private E&P companies, private equity firms and oilfield services companies, amongst others. In addition to M&A and joint venture-related work (which includes the sale of US shale assets), the team also receives a steady flow of day-to-day operational work, including as it relates to master services and gas storage agreements. Distressed M&A is another core area of focus and the firm is regularly active for debtors, creditors and bidders in connection with sales of oil and gas assets in the context of bankruptcy proceedings.
A very responsive team that delivers timely, well-reasoned and commercially practical legal advice.
Warwick Energy Group
Ascent Resources, LLC
Chugach Electric Association, Inc.
Five Point Energy
Par Pacific Holdings
Black Stone Minerals, L.P.
Sable Permian Resources
Red Bluff Resources Holdings LLC
White Star Petroleum LLC
Noble Energy, Inc.
Waveland Energy Partners
Coral Reef Capital
Middle Fork Energy Partners, LLC
WaterBridge Resources LLC
- Represented Franco-Nevada Corporation on its $300m acquisition from Range Resources Corporation of an overriding royalty interest on acreage in the Marcellus Shale.
- Represented Ascent Resources – Utica, LLC in a series of acquisitions of certain natural gas and oil properties totalling $1.48bn from four different companies.
- Represented WaterBridge Resources on the acquisition of existing water infrastructure assets from Halcón Resources Corporation.
- Acted for Franco-Nevada Corporation in its strategic relationship with Continental Resources, Inc. to jointly acquire mineral rights in the SCOOP and STACK oil & gas plays of Oklahoma.
- Represented Par Pacific Holdings in connection with the closing of its agreement with Island Energy Services (IES) to acquire certain refining units for $45m following IES’ announcement to cease its refining operations.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Leveraging the firm's market-leading M&A credentials, the Houston-based oil and gas team at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is well-positioned to represent a varied array of stakeholders across a range of transactional work in the sector, including on asset acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate and private equity-backed M&A and strategic alliances. Team head Frank Bayouth is conversant with transactions across the value chain and is regularly involved in the firm's highest-profile mandates in the sector, including his recent work for Five Point Energy on the formation of a new strategic midstream joint venture with Matador Resources. The firm also includes restructuring and capital markets/finance lawyers with considerable energy-related experience spread throughout the firm's national network of offices.
- Represented ExxonMobil in connection with its joint venture with Saudi Basic Industries Corp. for its Gulf Coast Growth Ventures project, which includes the planned construction of a 1.8 million tonne ethane cracker and a monoethylene glycol unit and two polyethylene units in San Patricio County, Texas.
- Advised Five Point Energy LLC in the formation of a new strategic joint venture, San Mateo Midstream II, LLC, in partnership with a wholly-owned subsidiary of Matador Resources Company.
- Advised Goldman Sachs & Co as financial advisor to Chesapeake Energy Corporation in its $4bn acquisition of WildHorse Resource Development Corporation.
- Advised Mexico Proyectos y Desarrollos, S.A. de C.V. and other subsidiaries of Grupo Mexico, S.A.B. de C.V. in connection with a $147m credit facility provided by HSBC.
- Advised Shelf Drilling Holdings on numerous financings including on its $225m revolving credit facility arranged by RBC Europe Limited (United Kingdom) and ING Bank N.V. (Netherlands).
Drawing upon the expertise of corporate, finance and restructuring lawyers based throughout the firm's nationwide network of offices, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP has the ability to resource big-ticket and often complex oil and gas mandates throughout the value chain. Spearheaded from Dallas by Rodney Moore , the team is perhaps best-known for its private equity-related M&A prowess in the sector, both in the context of new money and distressed scenarios. Moore is particularly active in the upstream and midstream spaces and is a key member of the team that was recently enhanced out of Houston by the arrival in September 2019 of Jeffrey Malonson from King & Spalding LLP, and the return of senior associate Samuel Peca from Kirkland & Ellis LLP in May 2019.
Aethon Energy Management
Breitburn Energy Partners
Discovery Midstream Partners LLC
Fieldwood Energy LLC
- Advised Citi, as administrative agent, and Citi and another major financial institution, as joint lead arrangers and joint bookrunners, in up to $21.8bn committed bridge financing to support the $55bn acquisition by Occidental Petroleum Corporation.
- Advising Total S.A. on its pending $8.8bn acquisition of all of the oil and natural gas assets of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation.
- Advised ad-hoc group of bondholders of senior secured first lien notes of American Energy – Permian Basin, LLC (AEPB) and of AEPB Finance Corporation in a concurrent (i) tender offer and (ii) an approximately $708m issuance of new senior secured notes.
- Advised Aethon Energy on its $735m acquisition of the northwest Louisiana natural gas assets.
- Advised American Securities in its sale of a majority stake in Ulterra Drilling Technologies.
White & Case LLP continues its upward trajectory in the oil and gas space with the addition of further hires to its Houston office which was opened at the beginning of 2018. Most notably, the recent addition of M&A partner William Parish to that office, following his move from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP in April 2019, further enhances the team's capability on domestic upstream and midstream M&A matters, as well as cross-border work with a Latin America complexion. As well as an increasing flow of domestic matters, the firm continues to excel at handling big-ticket cross-border mandates, where it is aided by a strong presence in many global energy centres throughout the EMEA region. This recently manifested itself in the firm's high-profile representation of Saudi Aramco on its $25.6bn IPO, a deal that followed on from the firm's work for the Saudi Arabian national petroleum and natural gas company's record- breaking $69.1bn acquisition of a majority stake in Saudi Basic Industries Corporation from the Public Investment Fund in Saudi Arabia. The 'very business-oriented' Steven Tredennick and Elena Millerman co-head the oil and gas industry group from Houston and New York respectively.
Steven Tredennick is very business oriented.
Delek Group Ltd.
WaterBridge Resources LLC
Recoil Resources, LLC
Jefferies Group LLC
Junction Energy Capital and Ara Partners Group
Citi and Jefferies
Motiva Enterprises LLC
- Representation of Macquarie Capital Funding, as administrative agent and arranger, on a $425m senior secured credit facility to finance the acquisition of certain membership interests in Paradigm Energy Partners by EIF Van Hook Equity Holdings.
- Representing Saudi Aramco in the $69.1bn acquisition of a majority stake in Saudi Basic Industries Corporation from the Public Investment Fund in Saudi Arabia.
- Ongoing representation of Tellurian Inc. in the development and financing of the Driftwood LNG project which includes up to five LNG plant facilities to liquefy natural gas, three LNG storage tanks, a marine facility, and other appurtenant facilities at a site near Carlyss, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana and approximately 96 miles of pipeline and which will produce up to 27.6 million tonnes per annum of LNG for export.
- Representation of Motiva Enterprises in connection with its acquisition of Flint Hills Resources’ chemical plant in Port Arthur, Texas.
- Representation of WaterBridge Resources in connection with multiple matters, including the acquisition of water gathering and disposal assets from Concho Resources Inc. and in securing up to $150m equity commitment by Five Point Energy.
New York-headquartered firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is an increasingly attractive proposition to many oil and gas entities, by virtue not only of the firm's traditional strength in core transactional areas including M&A, private equity, finance and restructuring, but also its heightened and more focused industry sector knowledge since the opening of the firm's Houston office in 2014. Led by Michael De Voe Piazza and private equity specialist Bruce Herzog, the oil and gas transactions team 'has a robust view of the energy market place and is very well connected with energy industry executives', enabling it to effectively handle a significant volume of private and public M&A in the upstream and midstream sectors. Other work includes joint venture structuring, energy-related private equity fund formation structuring, and energy finance and capital markets transactions. 'Responsive and informed' Houston-based partner Cody Carper has strong ties with private equity sponsors and oil and gas companies and has a flourishing reputation in the market for upstream and midstream transactions, including drilling partnerships, financing transactions, acquisitions and divestitures.
The team communicates well, has a robust view of the energy market place and is very well connected with energy industry executives.
Cody Carper and Michael Piazza are extremely responsive, informed, and commercial in our negotiations.
Cody Carper’s prior experience working in-house at an energy company affords us great confidence when we are negotiating agreements with oil and gas operators.
Bayou City Energy
Lime Rock Partners
Post Oak Energy
Alpine Energy Capital
Samson Resources II
Springbok Energy Partners
Waterbridge Resources LLC
- Represented Colony Capital on its strategic joint venture between Colony HB2 Energy and California Resources Corporation (CRC) to fund $320m for the development of CRC’s flagship Elk Hills field, located in the San Joaquin Basin.
- Representing the management team of Goodnight Midstream, a provider of oilfield water management infrastructure services, in connection with TPG Capital’s $930m acquisition of a majority stake in the company.
- Represented Pickering Energy Partners in connection with its strategic joint venture with Henry Resources, one of the premier family-owned oil and gas operators in the Permian Basin.
- Represented Glendale Energy Capital in connection with the formation of a joint venture platform with funds managed by TPG Sixth Street Partners to pursue direct upstream oil and gas acquisitions in the continental United States, with an initial focus on non-operated working interest opportunities.
- Represented Kayne Anderson Capital Advisors in its equity commitment to Ensign Natural Resources in the acquisition of Eagle Ford Acreage from Pioneer Natural Resources.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Benefiting from longstanding and robust relationships with a myriad stakeholders, including private equity investors, state oil companies, banks and developers, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton implements a fluid and non-compartmentalized approach to handling M&A, financing and restructuring work in the upstream segment of the market, in particular. Led out of New York by Richard Cooper and Jeffrey Lewis, the team has a strong reputation for handling big-ticket cross-border mandates within Latin America and regularly works alongside lawyers from key offices in Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires on such matters.
- Represented Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras) in a variety of capital markets transactions, including in an abbreviated five-day exchange offer and a related tender offer targeting seven series of outstanding notes in an aggregate principal amount of approximately $7bn.
- Represented Petróleos Mexicanos in a series of landmark liability management transactions intended to strengthen its financial condition.
- Advised an ad-hoc group of creditors as lenders and equity owners, and representing the majority of secured lenders to San Antonio Oil & Gas Ltd. in connection with the sales of all of its subsidiaries, including in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Mexico, Spain, Uruguay, and Venezuela, among other jurisdictions, to two separate buyers in simultaneous transactions for a total purchase price of more than $105m.
- Advised Petróleos Mexicanos in connection with its entry into a $5.5bn revolving credit facility and a $2.5bn term loan facility.
- Counsel to an ad-hoc group of secured project finance lenders in connection with the proposed restructuring of more than $1.67bn in total indebtedness of Constellation Oil Services Holding and its subsidiaries.
Based out of Houston and aided by a wide network of offices in many key global energy centres, Mayer Brown has 'deep and strong knowledge within the oil and gas sector', particularly in relation to corporate, commercial and financing work with an international complexion. On the upstream front, the team regularly receives work from foreign companies on inbound investments into the US and also assists domestic companies seeking to expand outside of the US, particularly in Latin America and Africa. LNG work is also a major strength of the firm and the Houston office has developed an excellent collaborative approach with the firm's Singapore and Tokyo offices on a raft of major Floating Storage Regasification (FSRU)/LNG import projects. The 'incredibly responsive' Thomas Moore and Alexandre Chequer co-head the team, with Chequer splitting his time between the firm's Houston and Rio de Janeiro offices.
The business-oriented team at Mayer Brown has deep and strong knowledge within the oil and gas sector.
The team was very impressive in terms of its technical knowledge in relation to the drafting and negotiation of a midstream master services agreement for a new venture in Argentina.
The focused and results-oriented José Valera and Pablo Ferrante are both outstanding oil and gas lawyers and are able to add value in each detail of the negotiation.
Pablo Ferrante and Thomas Moore are incredibly responsive and dedicated.
Rivercrest Royalties II, LLC
Flow Control Group
CLP Power Hong Kong
Vista Oil & Gas
- Represented Rivercrest Royalties II, LLC, a leading owner of oil and natural gas mineral and royalty interests across 28 states, with a multi-tiered, drop-down transaction.
- Advised North Carolina-based Flow Control Group on several acquisitions worth $75m to $100m.
- Represented Repsol Downstream Mexico S.A. de C.V., an affiliate of Repsol S.A, in the negotiation of a series of agreements for securing storage capacity in several fuel storage terminals in Mexico, as part of the company’s plans to develop its own downstream logistical network in the country.
- Advised AltaGas Canada Inc. in connection with U.S. Rule 144A placement of 16,500,000 Common Shares.
- Represented Pluspetrol S.A. in connection with the acquisition of a 30% participating interest in an offshore Suriname oil and gas block.
Led out of New York by Jonathan Green and Daniel Bartfeld, Milbank has an excellent reputation in relation to the financing of upstream and downstream oil and gas projects. Although the team acts for both debtors and creditors, it is perhaps best-known for its work on behalf of commercial banks, in addition to multilateral and export credit agencies and lenders on international projects. Bartfeld is also well-versed at handling Latin American oil and gas-related matters.
- Represented the lenders in the unsecured $3bn debt financing, the proceeds of which will be used to pay off an existing secured facility held by an affiliate, Dominion Energy Cove Point LNG, LP.
- Represented Investec, as lead arranger the lenders in connection with the $300m HoldCo loan to Prometheus TLK Holdings LLC.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the upsize to an existing loan facility in connection with a system of natural gas pipelines in Texas owned by Delaware Basin Residue.
- Represented the lenders in connection with financing the development and construction of the Midship Pipeline
- Represented the lenders in connection with the $3bn financing for Dominion’s Cove Point LNG import and export infrastructure, which includes a 5.25 million tonnes per annum LNG liquefaction export facility, and related gas storage and pipeline facilities.
Able to draw upon the expertise of oil and gas-focused M&A, securities, banking and capital markets lawyers spread throughout the country, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is regularly instructed by private sector oil and gas companies, state-owned enterprises and funds across a range of midstream and downstream transactions, in particular. LNG and unconventional energy resources are also core areas of expertise for the firm, from both domestic and international perspectives (where the firm is able to leverage a strong international footprint). Houston-based partner Felipe Alice has broad-ranging expertise across corporate, finance, commercial and real estate matters, which he implements to good effect across domestic and international oil and gas matters, particularly those with a Latin America focus. Richard Filosa and John Klauberg co-head the overarching project finance, infrastructure and natural resources team from the firm's Boston and New York offices respectively.
Other key lawyers:
BP Products North America
Gaia Importação, Exportação e Serviços Ltda.
Wintershall Holding GmbH
Kellogg Brown & Root LLC
B. Riley FBR Inc.
Lime Rock Partners
Tsakos Energy Navigation
- Representing BP Products North America in its joint acquisition with ArcLight Capital Partners of all of the outstanding shares of Thorntons Inc. in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $1.1bn.
- Represented HollyFrontier Corp. in its $665m acquisition of Sonneborn US Holdings Inc. and Sonneborn Coӧperatief UA.
- Representing independent Brazilian oil and gas company, PetroRio, in connection with tax structuring, regulatory advice, and equity investments in the United States.
- Representing GAIA, a Brazilian oil and gas technology development company, in connection with the potential acquisition of oil and gas service companies, patent applications for drilling equipment, and capital restructuring.
- Representing Wintershall Holding with the acquisition of an entity holding oil and gas exploration and production licenses and production-sharing contracts in Mexico and Brazil.
Reed Smith LLP
Led by Stan Perry and Nicolle Bagnell from Houston and Pittsburgh, respectively, and also aided by a significant London presence, Reed Smith LLP's 95-partner global energy and natural resources group has strong ties with a dynamic mix of global energy companies, pipeline owners and developers, energy trading firms and funds. The firm's expanded footprint in the Texas market is testament to its growing aspirations in the oil and gas sector, with the opening of a nascent Dallas office in May 2019 the most recent of the firm's strategically important offices in the state (which also includes its thriving Houston office). The scope of the firm's work in the sector runs the gamut across the value chain, from commercial and operational work - including upstream operating agreements and drilling contracts - through to upstream and midstream M&A. The arrival in February 2019 to the Houston office of the 'exceptional and commercial' Kirsten Polyansky from Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. strengthens the firm's ability on the downstream front, particularly as it pertains to large-scale refinery inventory monetization transactions.
Kirsten Polyansky combines exceptional commercial understanding and experience in structured physical energy trading and energy markets with strong delivery on complex transaction structuring and execution.
Sidley Austin LLP
Primarily based out of Texas but also able to call upon the knowledge of oil and gas experts from New York and Washington DC, as well as internationally from its Asia hub, Sidley Austin LLP has significant expertise and resources which it is able to deploy for a range of stakeholders engaged in upstream and midstream M&A, capital raisings, syndicated financings and structured finance mandates in the sector. Houston-based partner David Asmus has a longstanding pedigree in the market for handling M&A and financing transactions throughout the value chain.
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
New York-based firm Sullivan & Cromwell LLP is successfully able to leverage the strength of its market-leading M&A and finance expertise, in particular, and is consequently regularly involved in some major transactions in the oil and gas sector. The firm has a strong track record for private equity sponsors investing in conventional oil and gas interests, as well as on the acquisition of US shale plays, and also regularly advises oil majors on their capital raisings. New York-based partner Sergio Galvis has a decent track record handling Latin American-related M&A and financing work in the sector.
Primarily centred out of Houston, and aided by practitioners throughout the firm's impressive network of domestic and international offices, Winston & Strawn LLP combines significant industry knowledge with a compelling multi-disciplinary offering which includes lawyers with private and public M&A, capital markets and banking expertise. Consequently, the firm is well-positioned to effectively represent a broad array of clients, including domestic and international integrated oil companies, private equity sponsors, sovereign wealth funds, oilfield services companies, on transactions throughout the value chain. The team is at the vanguard of developments in the market and has, for example, been involved in numerous "produced water deals", including its representation of NGL Energy Partners on its $890m acquisition of the assets of Mesquite Disposals Unlimited LLC. The Houston office was recently strengthened in April 2019 by the arrival of top energy dealmaker James Vallee from Paul Hastings LLP. Rich Shutran and Joe Karp co-head the overarching energy industry group from New York and San Francisco, respectively.
NGL Energy Partners LP
Longreach Energy Holdings, LLC
SteelRiver Infrastructure Fund North America
CSL Capital Management
U.S. Well Services, LLC
Sentinel Energy Services
MUFG Union Bank
- Represented NGL Energy Partners LP on its $890m acquisition of the assets of Mesquite Disposals Unlimited LLC.
- Representing oilfield services company, Schlumberger, in connection with the divestiture of assets in three business lines in 25 jurisdictions.
- Representing SteelRiver Infrastructure Fund North America in connection with its sale of Peoples.
- Represented Longreach Energy with its equity investment in connection with taking a majority investment in Throne Andrews Partnership Properties, LP and for development of oil and gas properties.
- Represented NGL Energy Partners on the $300m sale of TransMontaigne Product Services.
Led by Denmon Sigler, Baker McKenzie LLP 's ten-partner Houston-based oil and gas team is well-versed at advising on matters throughout the value chain, including as it relates to onshore and offshore exploration and production, infrastructure and pipeline developments, chemical and refining transactions and asset acquisitions. The Houston office also houses numerous lawyers with Latin American experience, including Luis Gomar, who has handled work for many oil and gas companies with successful bids to explore and extract hydrocarbons onshore and offshore under Mexico’s new energy framework.
Gaylord Chemicals LLC
Enterprise Products Operating, LLC
Siemens Energy, Inc.
Central Crude, Inc.
Inter Pipeline Ltd.
- Advised Inpex on its purchase of Texas upstream oil and gas operating assets from GulfTex Energy.
- Advised the owners of Gaylord Chemicals LLC on the sale of the company to a private equity firm.
- Represented Trecora Resources in the sale of its minority interest in AMAK, a Saudi Arabian mining company, through a competitive auction process.
- Representing Kraton in the sale of its global Cariflex business, a global carve-out transaction through a competitive auction process.
- Advised Weatherford on several transactions including the disposal of its land drilling rig fleet, mudlogging services business, and laboratory services business.
Overseen from New York by energy practice head Robert Gruendel, and also able to tap into the expertise of oil and gas-focused lawyers, primarily from Houston in the US, as well as across the firm's expansive global network, DLA Piper LLP (US) advises a range of clients, including international oil companies, sponsors and lenders on M&A, financing and commercial-related mandates across the value chain.
- Represented Oasis in its acquisition from EOG.
- Represented Spur Energy with respect to the $925m acquisition of upstream assets in New Mexico from Concho.
- Represented Tall City in its sale of salt water disposal assets to WaterBridge and on a separate but related transaction in connection with its water management services agreement with WaterBridge.
- Represented Petrobras America and Petrobras Asphalt BV in negotiations with a former partner for the dissolution of JV companies.
- Advised Lime Rock Resources, a Houston-based private equity firm focused on US oil and gas industry, in its acquisition of Marcellus Shale natural gas royalty assets from Range Resources Corporation.
Transactional oil and gas work forms a core pillar of the overarching energy and natural resources practice at Greenberg Traurig LLP, which is co-headed out of Houston and Washington DC by William Garner and Kenneth Minesinger respectively. The scope of the firm's expertise in the area is wide-ranging and encompasses M&A, financing, project development and general commercial and operational work for national and independent oil corporates, oilfield services companies, transportation and midstream companies. Leveraging the firm's impressive international network of offices, the team is also regularly engaged in cross-border mandates.
Oil and Gas Climate Initiative Fund
Spot X Energy, LLC
JPMorgan Chase Bank
Alaska Gasline Development Corporation
NGL Energy Partners
- Project development counsel for all aspects of a proposed $1.4bn LNG export terminal in Brownsville, Texas.
- Representing Next Energy in the development of an LNG facility in California.
- Representing JPMorgan Chase, as administrative agent, in connection with an $800m revolving credit agreement for Altus Midstream LP.
- Representing the State of Alaska and the Alaska Gasline Development Corporation (AGDC) across a broad range of transactional and other project development issues relating to the State’s and AGDC’s efforts to induce the construction of a major LNG export project, the Alaska LNG Project.
- Advising Woodfibre LNG on due diligence for a potential export LNG project.
Primarily based out of Houston and also able to leverage the expertise of oil and gas-focused lawyers throughout the firm's global network of offices, Hogan Lovells US LLP is well-positioned to advise on domestic and international transactions throughout the value chain. Clients come from all sectors of the industry, including upstream exploration and production, oil and natural gas transmission companies, liquefied natural gas operators, and crude oil refining, distribution and trading groups. José Luis Vittor is one of the primary contacts within the group and has a particular focus on Latin America-based oil and gas projects.