Commercial, corporate and M&A in Slovakia
Cechová & Partners’ strong transactional pedigree is reflected in its broad roster of clients from a diverse array of sectors, with a particular concentration in the life sciences, fast-moving consumer goods, automotive, and transport sectors. The firm is regularly instructed both by domestic and international clients on acquisitions for buyers and sellers, and frequently on deals with cross-border requirements. It is also noted for its ability to advise on intra-group mergers, restructurings and compliance reviews in the wake of the Covid-19 crisis. In keeping with the overall firm’s strong commitment to diversity, the team is jointly led by cross-border specialist Lenka Subenikova and founding partner Katarína Čechová.
Katarina Cechova; Lenka Subenikova
‘Always a very strong position, always a professional reaction, always a very personal and committed approach. The team’s response always gives the client confidence.’
‘The team is always available, even at the last minute, and offer good legal advice.’
‘Always available and ready to provide pertinent legal advice.’
ABB Optical Group
AFS Technologies Inc
Cinema City Group
EIM Interim Management
Inalfa Roof Systems
Merck Sharp & Dohme
SMRC (former Reydel)
Telecom Italia (TIM) / Noovle Slovakia
Vienna Airport / Flughafen Wien AG
- Advised Telecom Italia (TIM) on the acquisition of part of Noovle group via indirect acquisition of Noovle Slovakia.
- Assisting Cinema City Group with the group reorganization.
- Advising ABB Optical Group on its acquisition of businesses from Mindent Solutions, Inc. dba AffinityAnalytics.
Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.
Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.’s office is highly regarded for its ability to lead on a number of the leading M&A deals in the region. The firm utilises its strong interdisciplinary capacity and Slovak and English-law capabilities, regularly acting for an array of financial services, energy, IT, automotive and infrastructure clients on large cross-border transactions, sale-and-lease-backs, joint ventures and shareholder negotiations. Leading practitioner Martin Magál heads the practice, which also includes the venture capital transaction expert Tomáš Búry and associate Drahomír Široký who focuses on real estate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Tomáš Búry; Drahomír Široky
‘The quality of advice and knowledge of industry sectors. The quality of lawyers who provide advice at all levels from associates through to partners is always excellent.’
‘Attention to detail when providing advice on the warranty and indemnity insurance matters is exceptional.’
‘Tomasz Bury and Martin Magal have been two standout individuals, helped us understand the jurisdiction further.’
‘Tomasz has provided some of the clearest and detailed advice we have ever received and it always enables us to produce more informed coverage positions which results in betters results for all parties involved.’
‘Extremely efficient and reactive. Very commercial oriented while technical.’
‘Tomasz Bury and Darius Balasko provide just the right dose of friendliness and warmth in all of their exchanges, it feels like much more than just interacting with external counsel, it feels more like working with a close colleague you really appreciate teaming up with.’
‘”Best in town” lawyers.’
Všeobecná úverová banka (VÚB)
W.A.G. payment solutions, a.s. (CZ)
Home Credit and Air Bank (PPF Group)
Tatra Residence and Raiffeisen Property International GmbH
CONSUMER FINANCE HOLDING ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA, a.s.,
SIA Central Europe, SIA Hungary and SIA Slovakia
National Development Fund II, managed by Slovak Investment Holding
- Advised Všeobecná úverová banka (of the Intesa Sanpaolo Group) on sale of its real estate portfolio.
- Advised W.A.G. payment solutions , a.s. (CZ) on acquisition of a majority interest in Sygic, a.s, a leading provider of mobile-app-based navigation.
- Advised AEGON on its €155m disposal of insurance businesses in the Czech Republic and insurance and pension savings business in Slovakia to NN Group.
Kinstellar is singled out for its 'solid technical expertise for not just the local market, but also the whole region'. Its focus on big-ticket international deals make it a strong choice for foreign clients active in the CEE region. The team has notable experience advising clients in the finance, insurance, real estate, life sciences, energy and media sectors. Regulatory work is also a key practice strength, where the firm regularly advises on anti-competition matters pertaining to cross-border acquisitions, and draws on its internal expertise on bankruptcy and restructuring matters. TMT specialist and English and Slovak-law qualified Viliam Myšička, and registered tax advisor Adam Hodoň lead the practice. Cross-border energy transaction specialist Roman Oleksik and associate Tomáš Melišek are also noted.
Adam Hodoň; Viliam Myšička
Other key lawyers:
Roman Oleksik; Tomáš Melišek
‘Excellent knowledge and commercial experience. Solid technical expertise not just for the local market, but the whole region.’
‘Exceptional involvement of the engaging partner in all the projects we have worked with Kinstellar on.’
‘Roman Oleksik offers outstanding support and proactive recommendations on different projects and engagements. At same time, Roman has excellent industry and business understanding on related commercial aspects. Very solid approach on negotiations with our contra-parties. Dominika Bajzathova – excellent knowledge of Purchase & Sale engagement. Very well organized and very proactive. Strongly managed Seller side (us) and Buyer side throughout whole deal/process.’
‘Regarding corporate matters we cooperate mainly with Mr. Adam Hodon and Mrs. Dasa Labasova. They are prompt and precise. They try to get all informatiom about solved topic before they submit standpoint. They are able to advise in various range of problems.’
- Advised AIP Asset Management (AIP), a Seoul-based asset manager, and London real estate investment manager The Valesco Group (Valesco) on the acquisition of the newly developed landmark Twin City Tower in Bratislava from HB Reavis.
- Advised STADA Arzneimittel on the acquisition of Walmark, a leading manufacturer of consumer health products in Central Europe, from Mid Europa Partners.
- Advised OTP Bank in connection with all aspects of the sale of its 99.44% share in its Slovak operations to the Belgian KBC Group.
White & Case s.r.o’s solid expertise in anti-monopoly filing and merger control makes it a popular choice for high-profile and high-value M&A cross-border transactions, which the team regularly advises some of the leading players in the logistics, life sciences, energy, media and financial services sectors. The Czech and Slovak-qualified Marek Staroň and M&A specialist Juraj Fuska jointly lead the practice, while partner Zoran Draškovič is noted for his expertise in regulatory matters and in real estate, nuclear energy and automotive acquisitions.
Marek Staroň; Juraj Fuska
Other key lawyers:
Ministry of Economy of the Slovak Republic and MH Invest, s.r.o.
NFŠ, a.s. and Tehelné, a.s.
VNG Slovakia, spol. s r.o.
Prinx Chengshan (Hong Kong) Tire Limited
Barger Prekop s.r.o.
Barger Prekop s.r.o.'s particular expertise in energy and private equity transactions sees the team regularly acting for a range of reputable clients on complex cross-border mandates. In addition to M&A, the firm is also noted for its capabilities in corporate governance, restructurings and ongoing commercial advisory mandates. Founding partners Adrian Barger and Roman Prekop who are transactional and governance specialists lead the team alongside Peter Suba and the American and Slovak-qualified Of Counsel Anthony Hernandez.
Adrian Barger; Erik Seman; Peter Suba; Anthony Hernandez
‘Flexibility in terms of time and personnel, Barger Prekop (BP) has exceptional ability to read with understanding and has also a quick solution finding process. Well-known for its rich network of worldwide contacts, and regularly cooperates with international firms, providing support on cross-border matters. BP delivers always understandable and practical advice. All team members are willing to go the extra mile while supporting clients with all means.’
‘Roman Prekop is a superb negotiator planning many steps ahead. He really sees the bigger picture but at the same time has eye for details. And all the time, even when dealing under pressure, his demeanour is still respectful and very representative. He is very persuasive.’
‘Erik Seman is a perfect commercial lawyer with a strong focus on M&A, with a perfectly balanced team able to serve the clients domestically and also internationally.’
The team at CMS is well regarded for its corporate and transactional capabilities in the financial services, real estate, energy, construction and technology sectors, and regularly acts on multi-jurisdictional deals in collaboration with its network of regional offices. It also handles regulatory and compliance mandates for key international finance players, payment services providers and high-profile tech companies. The team is jointly led by transaction specialist Petra Čorba Stark and new managing partner Oliver Werner. Of counsel Peter Šimo continues to advise on local and CEE mandates.
Petra Čorba Stark; Peter Šimo; Oliver Werner
‘Team of capable and affable professionals with a wider reach to other jurisdictions where knowledge on specialised topics may be greater.’
‘Petra Čorba Stark comprehends the issue quickly and is willing to deliver her assessment without undue delay and within budget.’
‘Much more flexible when compared to other international law firms in Slovakia in terms of their ability to accept smaller engagements and price competitively.’
‘I worked with Petra Čorba Stark – she was available to discuss and work together anytime it was needed, which is something you do not see at partner level elsewhere.’
Thermo Fisher Scientific
KOOPERATIVA Vienna Insurance Group
The Government of Slovakia
janom cz a.s., JEREMIE Co-Investment Fund, s.r.o.
- Advising Thermo Fisher Scientific on the acquisition of a leading developer of mass spectrometry software.
- Providing advice to the Government of Slovakia on the preparation of a tender for the planning, construction, operation and facility management aspects of a prison in Rimavská Sobota.
- Advising Enery Development, a newly formed Austrian investment fund, on the acquisition of a solar power portfolio across the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Dentons’ concerted effort to develop its M&A practice in recent years has resulted in significant growth in cross-border transactional mandates and regulatory work. The sizeable team draws on its strong ties with colleagues in Prague, working on a number of sales and acquisitions for clients in the life sciences, real estate, financial services, manufacturing, consumer goods and IT sectors, and is also regularly instructed on competition control and restructuring matters by international companies. The team is led by regional M&A specialist Juraj Gyárfáš which also includes counsels Katarína Pecnová and Martin Mendel who are noted for their commercial law expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Katarína Pecnová; Martin Mendel
‘I have worked with Dentons for three years now, and I am very happy to say that their knowledge, diligence, attention to detail, and high level of internal organisation is unique. ’
‘I personally very much enjoy working with Jozef Buday from the Bratislava office, due to the high quality of work and his broad knowledge – not only of legal matters. ’
‘Really goal-oriented, highly efficient. ’
Slovenská sporiteľňa (member of the ERSTE group)
Tatra Asset Management (TAM) (Member of the Raiffeisen Group)
Warner Music Czech Republic
Stadler Rail Management
Czechoslovak Group (CSG)
- Advised Slovenská sporiteľňa, the largest commercial bank in Slovakia, on an intention to bid for the acquisition of OTP Banka Slovensko, a.s.
- Advised GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, on the acquisition of the Maximus logistics real estate portfolio from Apollo Global Management, a US-based private equity firm.
- Advising private investors on the acquisition of Hotel Lindner in Bratislava from IMMOCAP Group.
Hamala Kluch Víglaský s.r.o.
Hamala Kluch Víglaský s.r.o. continues to cement its reputation as one of Slovakia’s premier independent corporate firms by continuously handling high-value, often cross-border, M&A transactions and regulatory matters for a range of renowned regional companies and governmental bodies. It regularly advises on sales and M&A transactions for clients in technology, logistics, construction, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and financial services. The team is jointly led by Roman Hamala, Martin Kluch, Peter Víglaský and Lukáš Michálik, who draw on their combined experience at magic circle firms across Europe and the United States to strengthen their international credentials.
Roman Hamala; Martin Kluch; Peter Víglaský; Lukáš Michálik
‘In-depth knowledge and over 20 years of consistence in the practice area. They offer international standards and understanding of local requirements’
‘The team is very strong, consistent and experienced in the corporate agenda and also specifically in the pharmaceutical business. The team is led by Peter Víglaský whom we consider to be one of the best lawyers in Slovakia. They are constantly available and they share the information about work for us, so they are smoothly interchangeable if one of them is not reachable – this we consider an excellent organisation of their work exceeding what we see from time to time in other law firms.’
‘We have worked with HKV and Víglaský for many years, and we especially value his practical advice, business sense and overall management of legal services for us. He is constantly available and responds very quickly.’
‘In M&A, HKV unites the essential qualities for and M&A-Law : technical knowledge of local law and cross-border implications. I am also impressed by the network to seek and advise beyond the borders of the firm’s practice, and their availability – I ask for 24/7, and they do provide access 24/7 – and last but not least ALWAYS access to a partner in charge of the case. ’
‘The partners we have been working with are Roman Hamala and Lukas Michálik. They both understand the commercial strategy, the end goal and show great respect for ethical considerations.’
BUDAMAR LOGISTICS, a.s.
MORAVIA STEEL, a.s.
Cresco Group, a.s.
STADA PHARMA Slovakia, s.r.o.
CA Immobilien Anlagen AG
Wood & Company
- Advising CA Immobilien Anlagen on the sale of one of the largest business centres in Bratislava.
- Assisting BUDAMAR LOGISTICS, a.s. to establish a partnership with Austrian company Innofreight Solutions.
Hillbridges' M&A expertise spans the energy, real estate, insurance, telecoms, pharmaceutical and automotive sectors. Zuzana Bartošovičová, Miroslav Trenčan, Andrej Adamčík and Martin Čabák are recommended.
Zuzana Bartosovicova; Miroslav Trenčan; Andrej Adamcik; Martin Cabak
RUŽIČKA AND PARTNERS s. r. o.
The sizeable team at RUŽIČKA AND PARTNERS s. r. o. often cooperates with key international law firms on a range of cross-border mandates for global brands, and maintains its strong domestic reputation by acting on a significant number of M&A, takeovers and regulatory mandates for clients in the energy, transport, banking, private equity, and logistics sectors. The firm is also adept at handling a range of corporate governance and compliance matters. Dana Nemčíková leads the team.
- Advising MOL, the regional energy leader and the majority shareholder of Slovnaft, in voluntary share offer and squeeze out proceedings.
- Coordination of Poľnoservis’s due diligence process in 12 jurisdictions.
- Advising Slovak Investment Holding, a state-owned company which objective is to support public and private investments into strategic sectors in Slovakia, on its five investments into various companies and start-ups.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o. regularly works in tandem with the firm’s Prague office on a number of corporate reorganisations and cross-border mid-market transactions for clients in the manufacturing, real estate, automotive and and technology sectors. It also acts on a range of corporate governance matters, contract negotiations and liquidations. The team is jointly led by fintech expert Silvia Belovičová and Prague-based private equity specialist Radek Janeček.
Radek Janeček; Silvia Belovičová
ARX Equity Partners
Air Liquide S.A.
LOTTE Chemical Deutschland GmbH
Minerals Technologies Inc.
Low & Bonar Slovakia, a.s
Schoeller Allibert Services B.V.
The British Embassy
Liberty Global B.V.
- Advising Air Liquide S.A. on the sale of its subsidiaries in the Czech Republic and Slovakia to Messer Group GmbH.
- Advising Lincoln Electric Holding with the implementation of the reorganisation plan in 2019, various business and employment matters and subsequent liquidation of Lincoln Electric s.r.o., a local subsidiary.
Taylor Wessing Slovakia’s core focus on cross-border transactions and shareholder relationship structuring make it an attractive choice for a range of foreign investors, multinational corporations and large Slovak entities, most notably in the fields of technology, real estate and infrastructure. In addition to its M&A work, the team is also recommended for regulatory and restructuring matters. The team is jointly led by Juraj Frindrich, Andrej Leontiev and Radovan Pala who are singed out for their broad sector knowledge and EU competition expertise.
Juraj Frindrich; Andrej Leontiev; Radovan Pala
City of Bratislava (capital of Slovakia) and the Major’s office
BVS (Bratislava Water Company)
DPB (Bratislava Public Transportation Company)
Technopol Services and legitimate shareholders of Technopol Services
Slovenský rastový kapitálový fond
Shareholders of WebSupport
MAX STREICHER GmbH & Co. Kommanditgesellschaft auf Aktien
Raiffeisen Property International
Kováč family (private client)
CentralNic Group including SK-NIC
Slovak American Foundation
Slovenská sporiteľňa member of Erste Group
- Advised Bratislavská vodárenská spoločnosť, a.s. on the acquisition of the shares of the minority shareholder in Infra Services.
- Advised former shareholders of WebSupport s.r.o. on the sale of shares to the Loopia Group.
- Advised affiliates of Slovenská sporiteľňa in setting up a joint venture to provide social housing.
Beatow Partners s.r.o
Beatow Partners s.r.o’s Meritas membership (a global alliance of independent commercial firms), coupled with its frequent cooperation with international law firms on referral mandates has strengthened its growing reputation as a provider of cross-border legal services. The team regularly handles a range of corporate governance mandates for multinational companies and domestic entities, particularly for clients operating in the TMT, private equity, life sciences and consumer goods sectors. Restructuring, insolvency proceedings and intragroup reorganisations also feature in its caseload. Michal Delinčák, Branislav Brocko and Peter Mikletič jointly lead the team, and are recommended for their cross-border and corporate restructuring expertise.
Michal Delinčák; Branislav Brocko; Peter Mikletič
bnt attorneys in CEE
bnt attorneys in CEE’s firm-wide regional presence makes it well suited to act on corporate matters and cross-border M&A transactions for a range of regional clients, particularly in the automotive, logistics and transport sectors. In keeping with the overall firm’s strong diversity commitments, the practice is led by the 'outstanding' German and Slovak-qualified attorney Margareta Sovova. Dávid Oršula is also noted for his M&A and insolvency experience.
‘Very structured service guiding foreign companies well through the Slovak legal system. Very confident in different languages.’
‘Margareta Sovova is an outstanding lawyer; very reactive and very precise.’
‘Very responsive team with good competence.’
‘David Orsula displays high competence and provides practical advice in a timely manner.’
‘BNT Attorneys in CEE has outstanding knowledge of the market, legal skills and dedication to the work.’
‘Margareta Sovova is a highly recommended corporate lawyer, always responsive and undertakes everything to get the deal through.’
‘Familiar with corporate and commercial needs; good quality and excellent response time.’
‘Sovova and Burmeister are very experienced and pragmatic advisors. Very good communication skills.’
‘Margareta Sovova and Ivana Kováčová are friendly, competent, quick, communicative and goal-oriented.’
‘The team has always delivered as promised. Very trustworthy, professional and hands on. Readily available to solve issues for our internal legal team as well as upper management encounters.’
‘David Orsula is my go-to contact in Slovakia – whatever issue I have, he helps me solve it.’
VTG Rail Logistics GmbH
Hitachi Capital Polska Sp. z o.o.
H. Kufferath GmbH Prüf-und Vorrichtungstechnik
Total Specific Solutions
Veeser Plastic Slovakia k.s.
- Advising VTG on two large acquisition projects in Slovakia.
- Advising Hitachi Capital Polska Sp. z o. o. on the acquisition of 400 vehicles of a competitor in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia and setting up local entities.
- Providing daily corporate advisory services for Webasto, a global innovative systems partner to almost all automobile manufacturers and one of the top 100 suppliers in this sector worldwide.
The team at DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach Rechtsanwälte GmbH, o.z. regularly advises domestic and international clients on a range of corporate and M&A matters, most notably advising key financial services providers and manufacturers on multi-jurisdictional sales, disposals, restructurings and refinancings. The practice is led by Michaela Stessl, who has notable experience in corporate matters and cross-border transactions.
‘We receive all support customised to our needs. Over a short period of time they gained all the necessary knowledge to act in the capacity of an in-house lawyer, which is of a great help as our company only has a very small legal department. This external advice is very well received.’
‘DLA Piper Slovakia is a significant part of a wider international team that cooperates as much as it is required. The regional interconnectedness of their knowledge is a distinct advantage.’
‘I must emphasise the precision, attention to detail and high morale standard of the team.’
Gebauer & Griller Kabelwerke Gmbh
DS Smith Plc
Brockwell Capital Limited
Tomra Sorting s.r.o.
BMI Group Management UK Ltd.
Yanfeng Luxembourg Automotive
Bodycote Slovakia s.r.o.
Bartosek Projektbetreuung Gmbh
First Data Corporation
Hyundai Motor Europe GmbH
TSG Interactive Services Ltd
Park County LLC
- Advising DS Smith on its agreement to sell its Plastics division to Olympus Partners and its affiliate Liqui-Box Holdings, including the sale of operating companies in 12 jurisdictions.
- Advising Brockwell Capital Limited with respect to an M&A transaction in Slovakia. Services included advice on the review of the buyer and seller process and underlying documentation.
- Advised BMI Group Management UK, the largest manufacturer of flat and pitched roofing and waterproofing solutions throughout Europe, on the sale of an oxidation unit located in the Industrial park Štúrovo, Slovakia.
Noerr's strong English and German language capabilities make it a strong choice among international clients for advice on their Slovak investments, as well as joint ventures and corporate restructurings. Martin Ťupek leads the team.
Paul Q Law Firm regularly advises on corporate and transactional matters for both local and international clients in the fields of manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, financial services, automotive and media. The team is also recognised for its capabilities in corporate governance, regulatory compliance and corporate reorganisations. Managing partner Pavol Blahušiak and M&A specialist Boris Brhlovič jointly lead the team.
Pavol Blahušiak; Boris Brhlovič
RELEVANS Law Firm stands out for its 'responsiveness, analytical skills and personal attitude and commitment from each individual lawyer'. Clients benefit from its interdisciplinary approach, with the firm advising on a range of transactional matters for various Slovak banks, financial groups, real estate developers and commercial clients in agriculture, IT, infrastructure, healthcare and retail. Founding partner and transactional specialist Marián Masarik leads the team.
‘Great help, determination, analytical skills, and hard work. I appreciate that always resolve matters quickly.’
‘Marián Masarik always made the effort to understand the finer details and the bigger picture, and never missed the deadline: ace lawyer!’
‘Relevans deserve praise for the complexity of the services and areas covered, dealing with each topic in detail and thinking about all possible alternatives and problems. This was a unique experience in comparison with previous experiences with law firms. ’
‘Knowledge and know-how, experiences and personal attitude and commitment from each individual. Special thanks to Marián Masarik for the complexity of his legal advice, including understanding the business side and risks associated.’
Sandberg Capital, správ. spol., a.s.
Zuckermandel Byty, s.r.o.
J&T FINANCE GROUP SE
Poštová banka, a.s.
City Arena, a.s.
Advokátska kancelária MCL, s.r.o.’s client roster features Slovak investment funds, developers and private equity groups which it regularly advises on cross-border sales and acquisitions, restructurings and reorganisations. Martin Jurečko and Vojtech Pálinkáš jointly lead the team.
Martin Jurečko; Vojtech Pálinkáš
EXTENSA GROUP – TOP DEVELOPMENT
MIDDLECAP GROUP S.A.
EUROMAX SLOVAKIA a.s.
AIR VENTURES s.r.o.
TOP DEVELOPMENT a.s.
CDCP – CENTRAL SECURITIES DEPOSITORY OF SLOVAKIA
- Advising MiddleCap Partners, a leading CEE private-equity fund on the acquisition of FOKUS optik a.s. and FOKUS očná optika a.s., both are retail market leaders in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Advising Euromax Group on the sale of the City Arena Shopping Mall in Trnava, Slovakia, to TRENESMA LIMITED, a company controlled by Mr Peter Korbacka of J&T.
- Advising MiddleCap on all aspects construction, development of real estate project in London’s Seal House, a 1970’s office building on the Thames North Bank.
Bartošík Šváby s.r.o. (former BS Legal s.r.o.)
The team at Bartošík Šváby s.r.o. (former BS Legal s.r.o.) regularly advises a number of investment funds, real estate developers, energy companies and software developers on share and asset deals and corporate governance mandates, frequently with a cross-border element. Practice heads Boris Šváby, Peter Bartošík and Igor Šváby are noted for their multilingual capabilities and expertise in restructuring, EU and competition law.
Boris Svaby; Peter Bartosik; Igor Svaby
‘They are exceptionally commercial and hands-on. Clear experts in Slovakian law who really know how to get a deal over the line. ’
‘Boris Svaby was excellent to deal with as the lead partner. His business acumen really helped the deal overcome some of the major negotiation roadblocks. He was always available and ensured this deal completed according to the plan. Absolutely first class. ’
‘The Bartosik Svaby team is highly qualified and experienced. These lawyers have excellent knowledge in the area in which our company operates and are very business-oriented, not only when providing commercial advice. The team is always fully focused until our goal is reached. We appreciate their personal approach, quick reactions and flexibility.’
‘The lawyers that we work with are always reachable and communication with them is very smooth. They are always trying to explain the legal point of view of the issue in the way we understand its practical meaning and consequences.’
‘Excellent lawyers with hands-on advice. Always consider the client’s business first. Extremely responsive with in-depth knowledge of the law and the market.’
‘Excellent lawyers with business acumen; responsive, useful advice which can immediately be put to practice.’
Wood & Company
Galaxy Optical Services (Slovakia) s.r.o.
Black Swan Investments & Consultancy, s. r. o.
Mr. Peter Lukeš
- Providing legal assistance to Eterus Capital in relation to equity investment into Eyerim – a leading CEE e-commerce with sunglasses and prescription glasses.
- Advising Slovak start-up entity CvikerAR and its founders on the investment made by Crowdberry crowd funding platform.
- Assisted Galaxy Optical Services (Slovakia) s.r.o. in with the sale of 8 optical component stores to FOKUS očná optika a.s.
BBH advokátska kancelária, s.r.o. handles a number of multi-jurisdictional transactions for a range of local and international clients operating in utilities, financial services, real estate development, TMT and pharmaceuticals. M&A specialist Miroslav Fašung and real estate transaction-focused Matej Blahút lead the practice. Olga Beláňová is also noted.
Miroslav Fašung; Matej Blahút
Other key lawyers:
‘Their devotion, speed, quality and professionalism in executing a company acquisition with respect to the legal matters was exceptional and led to a successful outcome. Their very reasonable fees underscore our satisfaction.’
‘The individuals I worked with were very professional, familiar with business acquisition processes and successful in performing complex legal work. I believe they are the best firm for business acquisition matters in Slovakia.’
ČEZ ESCO, a.s. – member of ČEZ Group
ČEZ Slovensko, s.r.o.
Róbert Mistrík – HighChem s.r.o.
YIT Slovakia a.s.
ČEZ SERVIS, s.r.o.
ČEZ Distribučné sústavy a.s.
Generali Real Estate S.p.A.
Erste Group Immorent Slovensko s. r. o.
První investiční Group
- Representing Erste Group Immorent Slovensko s. r. o. in the sale of the industrial park Immopark Košice to CTP Group.
- Representing Róbert Mistrík in the sale of a 100% ownership interest in the company HighChem, s.r.o. to Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Advising Szabolc Heizer and its partners in the sale of a majority stake in FibreNet, s.r.o. to the Czech investment group DRFG.
CERHA HEMPEL Šiška & Partners s. r. o. is particularly active in the real estate and retail sectors, and the team regularly works with international law firms on complex, cross-border matters. Jozef Bannert is a name to note.
LEGATE, s.r.o advises on a number of buyer and seller-side transactions and advisory mandates for a mix of local and international clients in the real estate, TMT, pharmaceuticals and IT industries. It also advises on the tax aspects of the transaction leveraging its cooperation with Avenias. The firm recently strengthened its offering in the energy and natural resources space with the hire of Miroslav Dudlák, who joined from an in-house role. Managing partner Peter Vrábel leads the practice and is recommended for anti-monopoly and regulatory matters.
Peter Vrábel; Miroslav Dudlák
‘The attorneys at Legate are exceptional in corporate and M&A advice. They think outside the box, possess great cross-border experience, and their quality and consistency is admiring. They find solutions to any problem which must be overcome and look at issue from both the commercial and legal perspective.’
‘Peter Vrábel listens carefully before proposing the solution. He is very pragmatic and perfectly balances business sense and legal risk. He is uniquely coordinating his people in the office to get the job done in a timely and constructive manner. His advice is reliable and always to the point.’
‘I can confirm, like every year, that Legate is a very professional and responsive company. Whatever our issue is, they have quick advice which helps to overcome the actual issue and validate our approach.’
‘Both Peter Vrábel and Lucia Staronová are responsive, detail-oriented and very helpful. It’s almost a pity we don’t have more problems to contact them over.’
‘The team is helpful in imparting knowledge and skills in the best way to serve the customer.’
‘We appreciate a personal approach in order to better understand our needs.’
Majerník & Miháliková, s. r. o.’s tech-focused practice handles transactions and corporate mandates for both key multinationals and emerging startups in the fields of tech, software, logistics, energy and natural resources. Katarína Miháliková and Andrej Majerník, who focuses on energy transactions, lead the team.
Katarína Miháliková; Andrej Majerník
‘The team is internationally very well placed, experienced, has great connections within Europe, the UK and the USA and is absolutely professional in handling any M&A, Private Equity and Restructuring Transactions.’
‘Katarína Miháliková, the founding partner, is an exceptional attorney. She has got all the transactional experience needed in order to lead teams in M&A and Private Equity mandates. She is very quick in analysing and understanding situations that might need to be circumvented, she is a great negotiator and she is particularly smart when it comes to seeking alternative solutions in order to strike a deal. Both, in international and national transactions we can recommend her without any restrictions as an exceptionally deal-driven lawyer.’
TaT investment, s.r.o.
Incon spol. s r.o.
Ultimate Technologies Limited
- Advising on entire shareholding of four shareholders (established in various jurisdictions) transfer. This was one of very few exits of Slovak startups to US-based giants.
- Advising Finportal, a.s. and its founder on the sale of 50% shares in Finportal, a.s. (and three its direct/indirect subsidiaries) to financial group – Arca Capital.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS’ pan-regional full-service practice makes the Bratislava office well positioned to advise local and international clients on cross-border transactions and corporate matters. Key client sectors include real estate development, IT, manufacturing, construction, logistics and healthcare. Jan Makara leads the team. Senior associate Marian Lauko is experienced in competition and antitrust matters.
Other key lawyers:
Vicus Capital Advisors
- Advising Falck group on the sale of its emergency medical services business in Slovakia.
- Advising Wolt on its entry to the Slovak market and expansion into Bratislava.
- Providing legal assistance to Hanes Brands, a global leader in textile production and intimate apparel, in relation to various corporate matters in Slovakia.
PRK Partners s.r.o.
PRK Partners s.r.o.’s close ties to its Prague office and various transatlantic law firms make it a strong regional choice for multinational transactions with Slovak elements. It is also adept at acting on advisory mandates and internal restructurings for clients in the energy and automative sectors. The practice is led by tax expert Miriam Galandová, and Czech and Slovak-qualified Martin Kříž.
Martin Kříž; Miriam Galandová
‘I believe that PRK provides a very high level of partner-led delivery of excellent legal advice and support, whether that is for a one-off contract or a transaction. Pragmatic and personable service.’
‘Martin Kříž is my go-to lawyer.’
Edmond de Rothschild
Ringier Axel Springer
Cintra/Ferrovia, Porr, Macquarie and Aberdeen
Engie (formerly GDF Suez)
- Providing ongoing support to Philip Morris in relation to post-launch matters related to the IQOS device, as well as support in connection to other Philip Morris devices, such as electronic cigarettes.
- Providing legal advisory to Slovak companies belonging to the Hella group on Slovak corporate law matters.
Schönherr Rechtstanwälte GmbH, o.z. (Schoenherr Slovakia)
Cross-border transactions form the cornerstone of Schönherr Rechtstanwälte GmbH, o.z. (Schoenherr Slovakia)’s M&A practice. The team enjoys its strong regional network which it regularly advises a range of international clients in the banking, insurance and IT sectors on deals with complex regulatory elements. The firm demonstrates its commitment to gender equality, with Sona Hekelova leading a diverse team of lawyers.
‘Sona Hekelova was the key partner on our deal – responsive and professional.’
NESS Digital Engineering Group
Marondo Capital GmbH
Jones Lang LaSalle
- Advising NESS Digital Engineering Group (“NESS”), an Israeli based provider of IT services, on the acquisition of the Slovak company CassaCloud s.r.o. (“CassaCloud”).
- Advising the KBC Group on all aspects of the acquisition of OTP Banka Slovensko from OTP Bank Nyrt (Hungary).
- Advising UNIQA on Slovak law aspects of the acquisition of AXA subsidiaries in the Czech Republic, Poland, and Slovakia.
Stentors continues to strengthen its position both locally and in the wider CEE region, and its recent incorporation into the Parlex Group reinforced its international foothold. The team advises a wide spectrum of domestic and international clients in the healthcare, IT, automotive, energy and construction sectors on M&A, divestments and corporate advisory matters. Michal Hulena and Peter Neštepný jointly lead the practice.
Peter Neštepný; Michal Hulena
‘We are very satisfied with their work. It suits us that it is a smaller law firm, they really appreciate us as a client and do their best to satisfy us with any case. Great price and performance. ’
‘We are extremely satisfied with the work of the Stentors team, they really help us to achieve our goal.’
CORD BLOOD CENTER Group
CREATON SEE Kft
Alpiq Energy SE
Inphinity s. r. o.
eBIZ Corp a.s.
- Supporting Cord Blood Center Group with expansion on other markets and supporting its team when dealing with various legal issues through the region.
- Providing Creaton SEE Kft with legal services on the restructuring of its business in Slovakia and assisting with its merging within the client’s CEE hub.
- Advising Alpiq Energy SE on negotiating parent guarantees related to the EFET General Agreements on electricity and gas delivery entered into with a major player on the Slovak electricity and gas market.
Leveraging its regional network, the team at Wolf Theiss is well positioned to act on multi-jurisdictional deals for a range of major international companies and investors. It also excels in restructurings and insolvency proceedings. Clients benefit from the firm-wide implementation of Wolf Theiss Space which is a client collaboration platform that provides greater transparency and simplicity during the lifecycle of projects. Corporate law and financing specialist Bruno Štefánik leads the team.
ALSO Holding AG & Roseville Investments sp. z o.o. & ALSO Polska sp. z o.o.
The Blackstone Group International Partners LLP
ALSO Holding AG
Jacobs Engineering Group Inc.
- Advising US fund Blackstone, one of the largest private equity funds in the world, in the €175m acquisition of a 15% shareholding in Superbet group, a top player in the gambling and casinos business.
- Advising Olympus Partners on the acquisition of DS Smith’s local subsidiary DS Smith Plastics Karlovac d.o.o. as a carve out of part of the DS Smith Group.
- Advising Jacobs Engineering Group on its acquisition of the Czech and Slovak operations of Amec Foster Wheeler, a British multinational consultancy, engineering and project management company.
Škubla & Partneri s.r.o.
Škubla & Partneri s.r.o. regularly advises a range of regional real estate developers, insurers and financial institutions on transactions and corporate governance mandates. The team is jointly led by Martin Fábry, Marián Šulík and competition law specialist Erika Galgóciová.
Marián Fábry; Marián Šulík; Erika Galgóciová
Penta Investments (Slovak Republic)
Penta Real Estate
Mirakl (Dr. Max pharmacy chain)
Penta Hospitals International
Penta Investments Limited (Jersey)/ (Cyprus)
Prima banka Slovensko
Slovenské liečebné kúpele Turčianske Teplice
News and Media Holding
ECE European City Estates
OCCAM Real Estate
The team at Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátska kancelária draws on the firm’s international network of offices, focusing on advising global and regional clients in the tech, communications and life sciences industries. Led from Prague by Ivan Sagál, the team handles cross-border acquisitions and ongoing advice for longstanding local and foreign corporate clients. Senior associates Radovan Repa and Katarína Ondrovičová are noted for restructuring and insolvency proceedings, and tech and communications sector expertise, respectively. Ivan Kisely has joined the team from Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.
Other key lawyers:
Radovan Repa; Katarína Ondrovičová; Ivan Kisely
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Slovakia, s.r.o.
Slevomat.cz, s.r.o.-organizačná zložka Slovensko Secret Benefits s.r.o.
Widex Slovton Slovakia s.r.o., member of the WS Audiology group
- Acting for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Slovakia, s.r.o. as virtual in-house counsel and providing secondment support, focusing predominantly on day to day legal support.
- Advising Slevomat.cz, s.r.o.-organizačná zložka SlovenskoSecret Benefits s.r.o. with respect to corporate changes.
As a member of the CEE alliance bpv LEGAL, bpv Braun Partners s.r.o., o.z. works closely with its regional teams on a range of advisory mandates. Igor Augustinič leads the team, which regularly handles cross-border acquisitions, restructurings and regulatory matters.
‘Very responsive, work diligently.’
‘Igor Augustinič reacts promptly and accurate to our requirements; gives advice beyond the raised question and advises broadly.’
Klett Publishing House
CLS Cavojsky & Partners is regularly instructed by insurers, logistics companies, automotive manufactures and retailers on corporate advisory mandates. Peter Čavojský and Vladimír Grác jointly head the practice and are recommended for M&A and contractual matters, respectively.
Peter Čavojský; Vladmír Grác
- Advising TIPOS, národná lotériová spoločnosť, a.s. on the implementation of new legislation.
- Assisting JESSENIUS – diagnostické centrum, a.s. with project development for a new medical centre.
- Providing AXA d.d.s., a.s. / AXA d.s.s., a.s. with legal analysis on the fulfilment of duties by a financial institution in relation to politically exposed persons.
Working collaboratively with the firm’s consulting, financial advisory and tax departments, Deloitte Legal s. r. o. utilises its vast global network and resources to act for an array of regional clients on cross-border transactions and regulatory matters. It regularly advises both public and commercial entities operating in banking, financial services, real estate development, life sciences and consumer goods. The team is jointly led by Dagmar Yoder and Róbert Minachin.
Dagmar Yoder; Róbert Minachin
NE PROPERTY COOPERATIEF U.A.
Arriva Slovakia a.s.
U. S. Steel Košice, s.r.o.
Samsung Electronics Czech and Slovak, s.r.o.
Cloetta Holland B.V.
Wörwag Pharma GmbH & Co. KG
EUROPACK akciová spoločnosť
Planar Group (LEYARD Group)
LOWA Sportschuhe GmbH
11 Entertainment group
Zaman Hospitality Investment LLC
KOREA HIGHTECH SOO
Powszechna Kasa Oszczednosci Bank Polski SA
- Assisting P3 Group with preparation and negotiation of the transaction documentation, including full scope buy-side due diligence, in relation to acquisition of a land portfolio for expansion of a logistics park.
- Assisting EUROPACK akciová spoločnosť with the sale of the majority of shares in a company producing egg packaging to a major player on the Czech market.
- Advising Powszechna Kasa Oszczędności Bank Polski S.A. with the opening of a branch of the biggest Polish bank in the Slovak Republic.
Ernst & Young Law s. r. o.
Ernst & Young Law s. r. o. advises national and international clients on a range of corporate and M&A mandates, and draws on the firm's tax expertise to advise on the tax aspects of transactions. Róbert Kováčik leads the practice.
Eversheds Sutherland, advokátska kancelária, s.r.o.’s industry focus on automotive, energy, facility services and financial services, coupled with its strong international network, make it well-placed to handle transactional and corporate governance mandates for a range of international clients. Triple-qualified Bernhard Hager (admitted in Slovakia, Austria, and the Czech Republic) leads the team.
The team at Glatzová & Co., s. r. o. handles cross-border transactional, restructuring and regulatory mandates for a mix of local and international companies. The team is jointly led by Veronika Pázmányová and antitrust and competition specialist Vladimíra Glatzová, who splits her time between Prague and Bratislava.
Vladimíra Glatzová; Veronika Pázmányová
IKB Leasing GmbH
TNI Group a.s.
Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV
TrustWorthy Investment SK a.s.
- Advising DRFG, a.s. in expanding its investments in the Slovak Market through the acquisition of major shares in three optical cable companies: FIBRENET, Lukromtel, and TeleDat.
- Advising Innogy SE on the acquisition of a major share in the company by E.ON.
Havel & Partners
Havel & Partners utilises its regional footprint to act on a number of corporate transactions, divestitures and restructurings for clients in the energy, IT, TMT, pharmaceuticals, and logistics sectors. Jaroslav Havel, Ondrej Majer, and Václav Audes jointly lead the sizeable team, splitting their time between Bratislava and Prague.
Jaroslav Havel; Ondrej Majer; Václav Audes
- Advising SLOVINTEGRA, a.s and Biatec Group a.s. on the sale of energy companies forming a functional unit of the so-called Levice energetic complex.
- Advising Slovak Telekom a.s. on the sale of Zoznam s.r.o., operating the internet portal zoznam.sk and several online media sites in a management buyout.
- Advising FINAB Trade on the sale of the companies of the BUKÓZA Holding group.
SOUKENÍK – ŠTRPKA, s. r. o.’s significant presence in the market, and participation in the Lawyerex exchange programme, makes it a choice collaborator for a number of foreign law firms handling cross-border mandates. The team is particularly noted for its corporate advisory expertise which it acts for clients operating in transport, retail, insurance and energy sectors. The team is led by associates Igor Vranka and Galina Vlčková.
Igor Vranka; Galina Vlčková
‘We needed provision of day-to-day legal services in commercial and corporate matters and competition law matters. I am able to confirm that SOUKENÍK-ŠTRPKA fulfilled these demands perfectly.’
‘SOUKENÍK-ŠTRPKA has a team comprising of various lawyers with different specialisations, thus they are able to resolve all kids of matters required in day-to-day matters in a complex manner. This is great for us as a client. In addition, due to their long-term and recognised position on the market they are able to expedite requests pending with different authorities.’
‘Individual members of this law firm communicate in a very professional yet friendly manner. They respond promptly to our requests and go the extra mile, which is not commonly seen. We appreciate the firm’s attributes and the additional value they bring to our business.’
‘A special stand-out mention should definitely go to Galina Vlčková.’
‘We appreciate their regional experience and professional attitude.’
‘First of all I would like to emphasize exceptionally high professionalism and detailed preparation for each and every meeting and negotiation. Secondly, I highly value their professional and pro-client approach, as well as their after hour or ad-hoc support when required. Additionally, I appreciate always the smooth cooperation in negotiations as well as their willingness to meet the common success and satisfaction on each side. High overall satisfaction.’
‘I am highly satisfied with the support of our assigned lawyer Galina Vlčková who takes a good care of our company. Together with her colleague Maria Dzodlova they are a valuable asset for our company. I highly appreciate their pro-client approach and professionalism. Additionally, I would like to emphasize a very pro-client and professional approach of both partners Peter Strpka and David Soukenik and their personal interest and support in our cases. ’
‘On top of the professional and orderly conduct in all the legal matters, we value the timely manner and efficiency, which is reflected both in provision of legal services and in overall availability of individual lawyers as well. This is not limited only to drafting and reviewing contracts, but also to analysis, meetings and other ordinary or extraordinary day to day operations.’
‘On day to day basis, we mainly cooperate with three particular lawyers, who are available at all times and who are able to provide the relevant legal services in flexible manner. Also, since they have become actively familiar with the scope of services we provide, general scope of our commercial operations and our contracts, they regularly notify us of any legislative changes that have impact on the aforementioned or on our company as well.’
Apep Development s. r. o.
STAVEKO-SK, a. s.
V-Teck k. s.
REAL PRIM, s.r.o.
R – Consult, s.r.o.
Železničná spoločnosť Cargo Slovakia, a. s.
Private elementary art school Zámočnícka
SPP – distribúcia, a. s.
ČSOB Leasing, a. s.
Respect Slovakia, s.r.o.
Slovenská elektrizačná prenosová sústava, a. s.
OKTE, a. s.
VODOHOSPODÁRSKA VÝSTAVBA, ŠTÁTNY PODNIK
Ministry of Environment of the Slovak Republic
- Advising Respect Slovakia s.r.o. on the issuance of binding permissions necessary for providing insurance activities in Malta.
- Advising Staveko-SK a.s. on the sale of the industrial park.
- Advising investor from Czech Republic in a new cryptocurrency trading platform start-up project.
STANĚK VETRÁK & PARTNERI, s.r.o
STANĚK VETRÁK & PARTNERI, s.r.o continues to build upon its growing regional reputation in IT and TMT sectors; it acts for a number of Slovak telecoms providers, startups, payment services providers and energy companies on complex IT-related matters, particularly where IP and contractural reviews are involved. Joint heads Peter Vetrák, Anton Staněk and Miriam Staněková are the main contacts.
Peter Vetrák; Anton Staněk; Miriam Staněková
DWC Slovakia, a.s.
Asseco Central Europe, a.s.
PROSOFT Košice, a.s.
DIEBOLD NIXDORF, a.s.
Slovak Telekom, a.s.,
- Advised Slovanet on its acquisition of a target company critically important for the development of 5G networks.
- Advised Asseco Central Europe on its acquisition of Turboconsult.
- Provided support in negotiations with DWC Slovakia’s client in relation to a major state IT project contract.