Allen & Overy LLP's team is ‘very professional and focused, proactive and efficient’. It provides a broad range of employment, pensions and benefits services, which includes advising clients on non-contentious matters and handling litigation. The full-service international firm has a strong track record in matters involving the retail, telecoms and financial services sectors. The ‘solution-oriented and pragmatic’ team is led by Suzanne Sikkink, who focuses on executive remuneration and incentive schemes, boardroom matters, negotiations with unions and the employment aspects of transactions. Arnold Keizer, who was recently promoted to partner, focuses on contentious matters.
Employment in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Other key lawyers:
Arnold Keizer; Frank Doornik; Sander Schouten
‘In-depth knowledge and a hands-on, pragmatic approach’
‘The firm was able to provide excellent cross-border, seamless and on-target and pragmatic advice in a short time frame’.
‘Arnold Keizer is highly professional, remains calm in challenging circumstances, quickly identifies potential issues and provides practical advice which meets all expectations’.
‘Suzanne Sikkink is highly professional, is quick to identify issues and excels in providing pragmatic solutions’.
‘Hands-on and very strong employment advice, with great availability’.
‘Suzanne Sikkink is a fast thinker, very knowledgeable and highly experienced’.
‘I was impressed by the availability and the workload the team could deal with’.
‘The communication was easy and contributed to high efficiency in the treatment of our social negotiations’.
Eurasian Resources Group
KLM Pension Fund
Maersk /APM Terminals
Recruit Global Staffing
Van Lanschot Kempen
- Advised XS4ALL and KPN on all aspects of high-profile and high-pressure court proceedings regarding the integration of XS4ALL in KPN.
- Advised several listed companies on contentious matters concerning executives.
- Advised JDE Peet’s and its largest shareholder (JAB) on all incentives-related matters, including new SRDII compliance, in connection with JDE Peet’s listing on Euronext Amsterdam.
BarentsKrans, which is one of the leading firms in the market, specialises in highly contentious and litigated employment matters. The ‘commercially minded and responsive’ team is jointly led by Max Keulaerds and Laurens de Graaf. Keulaerds is well-respected as an employment law litigator and was closely involved in the law-making process and evaluation of the Dutch dismissal law WWZ and its successor WAB. De Graaf acts for clients operating in the transportation, banking, oil and gas, construction and software development sectors. Senior associate Frank Dekker has deep experience in Supreme Court litigation.
Max Keulaerds; Laurens de Graaf
Other key lawyers:
‘They really think with you on cases. ’
‘Very quick to respond, setting clear parameters so we can both think about solutions within that framework and thinking with me in finding a solution.’
‘BarentsKrans is an expert in the field of employment law and appeal.’
‘I have very good experiences with Frank Dekker, he is smart, responsive and calm’.
‘Frank Dekker is more than capable of tackling the vital problems in a case’.
‘Frank Dekker has one of the sharpest analytical minds I have encountered in lawyers and is uniquely able to write complex cases down easily’.
‘Commercially minded, responsive, with deep experience’.
‘Laurens de Graaf is exceptional, he’s dedicated, diligent, gets our business, and has been able to grab victory from the jaws of seemingly inevitable defeat’.
ABN AMRO Bank
- Representing former CEO and Chairman of Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi, Carlos Ghosn in a multi-million dispute with Nissan and Mitsubishi about his termination following his arrest in Japan.
- Representing 116 Martinair pilots in a TUPE case against KLM, essentially challenging the basic premise of the ECJ Oy Liikenne case (C-172/99). The Supreme Court agreed with the pilots and ordered a retrial.
- Representing FNV in the ECJ proceedings regarding the status of the Heiploeg group pre-pack takeover under the Acquired Rights Directive.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek fields ‘one of the biggest employment teams in the Netherlands with a huge spectrum of knowledge and experience’. The group is vastly experienced in Supreme Court litigation and advises on the HR and employment matters of large international M&A. In addition, it is also noted for its expertise in high-profile individual dismissal cases, remuneration issues and collective dismissals. Stefan Sagel is the ‘Jedi Master of Dutch employment law’. Barbara Kloppert, who jointly leads the team with Sagel, advises on and litigates the full spectrum of employment-related matters.
Stefan Sagel; Barbara Kloppert
Other key lawyers:
Janneke van der Kroon
‘Very knowledgeable and up to date’.
‘Rendering well-thought-out and comprehensive advice’.
‘Stefan Sagel for his strategic advice in very complex projects and his litigation skills, not only in writing but also his pleadings in court’.
‘Super-smart lawyers who are very responsive and able to give pragmatic advice’.
‘Really the best of the best in the Netherlands’.
‘Janneke van der Kroon is very effective and super-smart’.
‘One of the biggest employment teams in The Netherlands with a huge spectrum of knowledge and experience’.
‘Stefan Sagel is a very knowledgeable and pragmatic lawyer with a great sense of humour’.
RELX (formerly Reed Elsevier)
Building Materials Europe
Royal BAM Group
- Advising Just Eat Takeaway on all aspects of consultation and employment-related matters with respect to the international merger between Justeat Takeaway and Grubhub.
- Advised Stichting Achmea Rechtsbijstand on a successful mass claim before the Supreme Court on behalf of hundreds of employees with “dormant employment contracts.”
- Assisting ITV Studios Holding with litigation before the Supreme Court, brought by a former creative director, Mr Scholtze, who claims that he has been unfairly dismissed.
The employment team at Houthoff is particularly experienced in strategic issues, boardroom counselling and complex and high-stakes litigation. It advises both employers and employees, and national and international companies. Edward de Bock has expertise in remuneration and board-level dismissals.
Edward de Bock
Other key lawyers:
Jet Stolk; Naomi Dempsey
‘Very good quality’.
‘Great response times to questions’.
‘When one person is not available, there is always a great colleague to step in’.
‘Very good knowledge and experience, very professional, good sense of humour too, and quick response to questions also outside office hours’.
‘Hands-on and very knowledgeable’.
‘Knowledgeable, no-nonsense advice’.
‘Jet Stolk is appreciated for her knowledge, ability to support with complicated matters, and interaction with different stakeholders within our business and dedicated support’.
Tata Steel Nederland B.V.
Unibail Rodamco Westfield
Keesing Media Group (KMG)
- Advising the Board of TATA Steel Netherlands on its intention to conduct a major reorganisation.
- Advising ATOS on various complex matters including the unilateral amendment of employment conditions.
- Providing Park Now Group with employment law support in the Netherlands across many areas, such as individual dismissal, a new provision system and introducing an employee handbook.
Stibbe’s multidisciplinary team focuses on employment, pensions and incentives. It has been at the forefront of advice on matters connected with COVID-19, setting up a special Corona Employment Emergency Team for clients. Practice head Jaap van Slooten is well-known for handling collective disputes and pensions. The ‘very accessible and always available’ Astrid Helstone advises and litigates on a range of employment issues, including board and executive terminations, works council issues and restructurings. Paul Vestering handles compensation and terminations, corporate governance, and transnational works council issues.
Jaap van Slooten
Other key lawyers:
Paul Vestering; Astrid Helstone; Anne Merks; Phinney Disseldorp
‘The Stibbe remuneration team is a team of professionals with a high level of knowledge’.
‘They always react very quickly to questions and deliver advice of a high quality’.
‘They always give you the feeling that you are their only client’.
‘Astrid Helstone has an extreme knowledge regarding remuneration legislation and can combine this with her labour law practice’.
‘Great team, very experienced in employment law and remuneration in the financial industry’.
‘The team is able to assist in any kind of employment matters, at every level’.
‘Stibbe is highly competent and up to speed with latest developments’.
‘Professional deep knowledge in specific niche areas such as legal advice on remuneration and pension matters’.
Air France – KLM
NN Group N.V.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
ING Group N.V.
Koninklijke Ahold Delhaize N.V.
Picnic (online supermarket)
NS Group N.V.
- Representing Nationale Nederlanden in two litigation matters regarding pension indexation matters.
- Assisted Picnic in litigation against the largest Dutch trade union FNV before the District Court of Amsterdam.
- Advised Intertrust in a landmark case on the amended European shareholders’ rights directive, which was implemented in the Netherlands in December 2019.
Baker McKenzie's ‘very practical and pragmatic’ employment team has expertise in large global reorganisations and negotiations with works councils and trade unions. It has recently seen an increase in instructions relating to the #Metoo movement and workplace bullying, and also bolstered its data privacy practice following the introduction of GDPR. Practice head Mirjam De Blécourt advises the boards of multinationals on labour law and is experienced in large-scale collective redundancies. Daniëlle Pinedo is recommended for litigation and restructurings. Remke Scheepstra focuses on clients in the consumer goods, technologies and consulting markets.
Mirjam de Blécourt
Other key lawyers:
Daniëlle Pinedo; Remke Scheepstra
‘The team is very well aligned with each other and the corporate and banking department, but also in the broader worldwide Baker network’.
‘They are to the point, they think out of the box, are creative and always on time’.
‘They make reporting easy by the format they use’.
‘They are used to work on multi-jurisdictional cases’.
‘The Baker McKenzie employment team is very practical and pragmatic’.
‘In my experience, they come up with out of the box pragmatic client solutions’.
‘The team is very responsive and easy to work with’.
‘Quick response time and to the point advice’.
- Representing ENGIE in a very high profile court case with a significant risk of precedent, where an employee’s position was made redundant following a restructuring.
The employment and benefits team at Loyens & Loeff is well-regarded for pensions law, social security, employment taxes and immigration matters. The firm offers an in-house ‘managing a pension fund’ course, which provides clients with the knowledge and skills to pass the examination required for a management position at a pension fund. Klaas Wiersma is adept at handling the employment aspects of M&A deals, restructurings and collective dismissals, as well as cross-border employment issues. Wiersma co-heads the practice with Hermine Voûte, who has over 31 years of employment law experience and focuses on high-profile dismissals and co-determination procedures. Laurie Kuijpers is also recommended.
Hermine Voûte; Klaas Wiersma
Other key lawyers:
‘Klaas Wiersma is a very strong professional whose attitude, personality and working style make him a great advisor in separation matters involving executive management’.
‘Given the firm`s strong tax practice and international presence they can provide a full service no matter what nationality the client is’.
‘Always quick to respond and a problem-solving attitude’.
‘They know our business well and work with us towards a solution to our cases by providing honest and straight-to-the-point advice ’
‘Clear, professional and straight forward advice’.
‘Klaas Wiersma is hands-on, swift, always available and very keen to do what needs to be done, avoiding unnecessary work’.
‘Every aspect of the legal employment spectrum – from pensions to co-determination and from mergers to restructurings – is present in the team’s expertise’.
‘Full and integrated coverage of (international) wage tax and social security issues’.
- Advised DPG Media on the employment aspects of the acquisition of Sanoma Media Netherlands.
- Advised Stichting Pensioenfonds Chemours Nederland (SPCN) on the legal implications and feasibility of a carve-in/carve-out structure of the deferred members and the pensioners.
- Assisted Wintershall with a high-profile litigation case at the court of appeal.
NautaDutilh is well-known in the market for works council matters, acting as an adviser to the company or co-counselling with foreign law firms on international M&A transactions. Other areas of focus include executive contracts and dismissals, fraud and compliance, and reorganisations. The ‘strong and practical’ team is led by Homme ten Have who advises on and litigates employment and corporate labour law matters. Warner Roeters van Lennep retired.
Homme ten Have
Other key lawyers:
Albert van der Kolk
‘The advice and coaching was very valuable’.
‘What stood out was the dedicated and caring way with which I was being advised’.
‘Homme ten Have was very understanding of my situation and all the time he was able predict the next move my employer would make’.
‘Homme ten Have He is calm, has a keen eye for what the real issues are and is not adversarial’.
‘Great friendly people and Homme ten Have is technically very good’.
‘Homme ten Have is knowledgeable, funny and easy to get along with’.
Municipality of Amsterdam
Boston Consulting Group
- Assistance to HAL Investments with the sale of its 76.7% ownership interest in GrandVision, dealing with advice and strategy around potential Dutch works council involvement in international transactions.
- Advising Deloitte on the complex and sensitive negotiation and litigation on the intended (forced) exit of a partner.
- Advised Autoriteit Financiële Markten (AFM) on complex and sensitive litigation, initiated by 4 employees, regarding the unilateral change of AFM’s pension scheme.
Van Doorne has noted expertise in pension fund transactions and pensions litigation, cross-border employment law, as well as restructurings and M&A-related employment matters. Els de Wind has 35 years of experience in employment matters and litigation. She jointly leads the practice with the ‘pragmatic and solution-oriented’ Marjolijn Lips, who focuses on the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) (TUPE) matters, flexible workforce issues and outsourcing in the TMT sector. Senior associate Steven Sterk focuses on the healthcare and life sciences sector. Cara Pronk, who is also a senior associate, handles European and international employment law.
Els de Wind; Marjolijn Lips
Other key lawyers:
Albert van Marwijk Kooy; Steven Sterk; Cara Pronk
‘Highly knowledgeable team, with quick responses to make sure that actions can be taken’.
‘Good listening skills that lead to more solutions’.
‘The practice is pro-active, organises webinars whenever appropriate and pays a lot of attention to the relationship’.
‘They study the business and the branch and are interested in the activities of the company’.
‘The practice works well as a team and they are all always well informed’.
‘The partner and associates have a fantastic feeling for the business’.
‘Van Doorne’s employment team offer speedy high-quality legal services’.
‘Team members are always available for consultation’.
Adyen (Adyen N.V.)
CAN-PACK (CAN-PACK Netherlands B.V. and Girogi Global Holdings Inc.)
Crewlink (recruitment agency working for Ryanair)
DAMCO (DAMCO Aluminium Delfzijl Coöperatie U.A.)
Gelre Ziekenhuizen (Hospital)
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU Eindhoven)
Hilton Foods Group
Intel (Intel Corporation)
ISS (ISS Holding Nederland B.V.)
Klarna (Klarna Group)
KPMG (KPMG N.V.)
National Opera & Ballet
Scandinavian Tobacco Group (Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S)
Serco Nederland B.V.
SThree Holding B.V.
TFS Derivatives (Compagnie Financiere Tradition)
team.blue | TransIP (TransIP Group B.V.)
SABIC Pension Fund (Stichting Pensioenfonds SABIC)
Pension fund for the Dutch Postal Service (Stichting Pensioenfonds PostNL)
TNT Express Pension Fund (Stichting Pensioenfonds TNT Express)
Pension fund for the timber trade sector (Stichting Bedrijfstakpensioenfonds voor de Houthandel)
Hewlett-Packard Pension Fund (Stichtin
- Advised Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) on its acquisition of Royal Agio Cigars, including employment matters.
- Advising Mediq on the reshaping and restructuring of different sets of employment terms and conditions for various categories of employees.
- Advising Stichting Pensioenfonds Notariaat after a Dutch court nullified (upon request of a notary) the decision of the Dutch Minister of Justice and Safety to consent to amendments to its pension regulations.
Bird & Bird’s practice is embedded in its international employment, benefits, pension and business immigration group, allowing it to leverage global support from its international network. The firm is active in the pharmaceuticals, TMT, retail, tobacco, aviation and defence industries. Team head Philip Hartman has 30 years of experience in strategic HR-legal consulting, restructuring, outsourcing, M&A, investigations and boardroom terminations.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgeable, detailed and thinking for their client’.
‘Philip Hartman very client focussed’.
‘Very profound and deep knowledge and a good sparring partner in difficult situations’.
‘Nice people to work with’.
‘Very deep knowledge and experience at a broad scale’.
‘Very client-friendly approach and advice’.
‘Philip Hartman is at the absolute top of this game and he’s always available’.
Royal Conservatoire and Academy of Art
- Advised Philip Morris on the successful Appeal Court proceedings against Trade Unions, on the interpretation of the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement/Social Plan and alleged age discrimination.
- Advised InterIKEA on successful multi-million Euro court proceedings against trade unions on the interpretation of the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Bronsgeest Deur Advocaten offers clients international coverage through its membership of Ius Laboris, an employment and labour law alliance. Its broad practice includes expertise in individual and collective redundancies, co-determination rights, negotiations with trade unions, remuneration issues, TUPE and M&A-related employment matters. Certified data protection officer Philip Nabben co-heads the practice with Benjamin Vaandrager and Hylda Wiarda.
Philip Nabben; Benjamin Vaandrager; Hylda Wiarda
Air Liquide Medical
Dutch Glycerin Refinery
Ariston Thermo Group
Clifford Chance offers high-end, cross-border employment and pensions services, with noted strengths in M&A-related employment work. The ‘pragmatic and cost-efficient’ team is well-regarded for reorganisations, remuneration and employee co-determination matters. Its integrated pensions practice advises Dutch and international clients on cross-border issues, including international asset transfers, restructurings and litigation. Floris van de Bult, who is a co-head of the global employment group, counts international blue-chip companies as key clients.
Floris van de Bult
Other key lawyers:
Wijnanda Rutten; Sara Schermerhorn
‘International practice with a single point of coordination between all countries’.
‘Quick follow-up on outstanding actions’.
‘Good advice and alternative solutions where necessary’.
‘The team is very knowledgeable, has a very short response time and is always available for calls’.
‘I feel like I am the only client of the team’.
‘Pragmatic and cost-efficient approach’.
‘Combining local knowledge and presence with an international network’.
‘Good partner availability and high responsiveness’.
Natwest Markets / RBS
Municipality of Rotterdam
BME | Building Materials Europe
- Advising HSBC Amsterdam on all employment matters.
- Advising Prosus N.V./Naspers on domestic and international employment and pensions work, which includes board room advice on governance and remuneration, incentives, implementation and roll-out of policies, various international advice regarding COVID-19 and investigations.
- Advised Mitsubishi Corporation and Chubu on its acquisition of Dutch energy company Eneco, including the pension and employment aspects.
DLA Piper’s global presence makes it well-placed to advise on international employment and pension-related litigation, restructurings and M&A transactions. Practice head Hélène Bogaard advises a number of US clients on European issues and is particularly experienced in the aviation and tech sectors. Johan Zwemmer, who recently joined as a legal director from Stibbe, is highly recommended for flexible workforce employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
Marnix Holtzer; Erik Lutjens; Johan Zwemmer
‘Johan Zwemmer’s knowledge on some specific areas is of a very high standard and quality’
‘Johan Zwemmer always has some first thoughts and tells you what works’.
‘They have a broad base in pensions, not only in terms of knowledge, but also many contacts’.
‘Erik Lutjens is super fast in answering complex issues and always comes up with a surprising angle’.
Various industry-wide Dutch pension funds, including the largest Dutch pension fund Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP
Rai (Convention Centre) Amsterdam
- Advising PVH’s EMEA headquarters in the Netherlands on the application and conditions of government support packages in 19 EMEA jurisdictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Following SoftwareOne’s recent acquisition of Dutch multinational Comparex, the firm advised SoftwareOne on the integration and harmonisation of the two companies.
- Represented Stichting Bedrijfstakpensioenfonds voor het Beroepsvervoer over de Weg in litigation against Deliveroo.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V.'s employment, labour and pensions team is a fully integrated part of its international HR practice group. Its work covers general HR (including strategic advice and employee representation), M&A-related employment work and litigation. Eric Bergamin, Ingrid van Berkel and Wijnand Blom are the joint heads of the team. Marieke Koster, who recently made partner, focuses on reorganisations, works council negotiations and dismissal proceedings.
Eric Bergamin; Ingrid van Berkel; Wijnand Blom
Other key lawyers:
‘The proactive and pragmatic approach of the Eversheds is of great value’.
‘The employment practice offers a unique combination of state-of-the-art domain expertise combined with corporate law’.
‘The team’s legal expertise is further enhanced by an entrepreneurial and empathic mindset, which sets the practice apart from mainstream service providers’.
American Express Global Business Travel
Koninklijke Nederlandse Beroepsorganisatie van Accountants
- Advising Juniper Networks on a frequent and ongoing basis regarding varying employment law related matters, including litigation, dismissal cases, reorganisations and the harmonization of global company policies.
- Advising ib vogt Nederland B.V. as well as their international management team and international HR team on an ongoing basis regarding various employment law-related matters.
- Advised G4S plc on the corporate reorganisation of its global cash businesses.
Kennedy Van der Laan
Kennedy Van der Laan's labour and employment team advises HR and in-house legal counsel on general advisory matters, litigation and negotiation processes with works councils and trade unions. Chris Nekeman handles employee co-governance and outsourcing matters. He co-heads the team with Soo-Ja Schijf, who handles cross-border issues such as restructuring and collective redundancy projects, TUPE projects and board member appointments and terminations. Eva Knipschild left for ReulingSchutte.
Chris Nekeman; Soo-Ja Schijf
Other key lawyers:
Ester Damen; Eylard van Fenema
‘Professionals with a heart’.
‘Chris Nekeman is always approachable, a good listener and advises with authority and the latest knowledge’.
‘Chris Nekeman is flexible and reachable, an excellent network and a good negotiator’.
‘Ester Damen is not afraid to make her point’.
‘The team is really keen on knowing the business, the activities we are involved in and build not only a connection but a true relationship’.
‘The team really feels like it is part of my own team’.
‘Soo-Ja Schijf is an expert in her field and does her work with a lot of drive and passion’.
‘Soo-Ja Schijf is really involved and builds a relationship of trust, not just a connection’.
- Representing Rabobank against multiple employees after it changed its car leasing arrangement and they initiated litigation.
- Advised Exact Software on the process of centralising its activities in the Netherlands.
- Advised a company in the oil and gas industry about a reorganisation project, which included negotiations with the trade union and employee representatives.
Lexence handles a broad scope of employment law matters under the leadership of four partners. Mark Keuss focuses on collective dismissal procedures and forensic inquiries into misconduct. The ‘patient and meticulous’ Floor Damen advises organisations on collective and individual dismissals, TUPE and employee co-determination. Judith Schulp is adept at handling M&A-related employment matters, including restructuring and harmonisation of employment conditions. Frank ter Huurne litigates and advises on non-compete clauses, the transfer of business enterprises and the termination of employment agreements of directors.
Mark Keuss; Judith Schulp; Floor Damen; Frank ter Huurne
Other key lawyers:
Annejet Balm; Esther van der Meulen; Jordi Rosendahl
‘Floor Damen knows Dutch law, he is patient and meticulous in lending guidance or articulating risks for the business’.
‘Floor Damen is professional, precise and accurate in his guidance’.
‘Outcomes have consistently been smooth and simple’.
‘In-depth knowledge combined with a practical approach’.
‘The employment practice of Lexence is very approachable and they use a pragmatic working method’.
‘They have a very good understanding of our business and the implications with regard to employment law-related matters within our company’.
‘Highly effective, knowledgeable and pragmatic legal team, consistently outperforming expectations’.
‘They are highly accessible and responsive and deliver great value for the work done’.
N.V. Nederlandse Gasunie
DAS Nederlandse Rechtsbijstand Verzekeringsmaatschappij N.V.
BE Semiconductor Industries N.V.
Royal A-ware Food Group
Sensata Technologies Holland B.V.
Stork, a Fluor company
- Assisted with the closing of the Dutch activities of the AO-group, which included the redundancy of 50+ employees and the termination of contracts for services.
- Assisting Ballast/Ronesans with all employment-related cases, including restructuring, advice/consent procedures with the works council and individual dismissals.
- Continuing to assist DPG (formerly known as De Persgroep), one of the largest Dutch publishing companies, in relation to all employment issues, TUPE and other integration matters following several acquisitions by De Persgroep.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is well-known for its representation of the Dutch government, ministries and municipalities. In addition, it also acts for large multinational companies. The firm has a notably strong pensions practice, and it is also sought out to advise on reorganisations, disputes with works councils, strikes and whistleblower cases. Practice head Ruben van Arkel is a noted expert in the field of equal treatment.
Ruben van Arkel
Other key lawyers:
Femke van Herk; Annette de Jong; Erika Wies
‘Highly informed and capable team’.
‘The lawyers offer very good support to employers dealing with personnel issues’.
‘Erika Wies’ combination of business savviness and personal interest is highly appreciated’.
‘Erika Wies is down to earth, does not spill time but also takes enough time to really understand the case as well as the underlying circumstances’.
‘Excellent legal advice, great communication skills and always ready to deliver on time’.
‘Ruben van Arkel is a great legal mind and superb strategic thinker’.
‘Erika Wies is fast, with great communication skills and works very hard’.
‘Excellent communication skills’.
State of the Netherlands (including the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Security and Justice)
SSC Flex B.V.
Several Dutch universities, including TU Delft, University of Amsterdam and Erasmus University Rotterdam
Municipality of Amsterdam
- Advised Jacobs NL on the restructuring of the business and related dismissals.
- Advised several large (public and private) employers on how to deal with a consortium of banks on whistleblower cases.
- Advised the Ministry of Defence in proceedings concerning an issue of interpretation of the current pension scheme for military personnel.
Under the leadership of Pieter Huys, AKD's team handles a broad range of employment matters for domestic and global clients. Areas of expertise include individual dismissals, reorganisations, TUPE, co-determination law, collective agreements and pensions. It is active in the food, energy, real estate, and transport sectors. Pascal Van Schaik made partner.
Other key lawyers:
François Defaix; Marielle van Winden-Spaans; Pascal Van Schaik
‘Their understanding of the international legal practice is unique’.
‘They are fully conversant with the legal culture of the different countries and this makes them highly reliable and responsive referees in the Netherlands’.
‘Pascal van Schaik is a smart and accurate problem solver’.
‘AKD lawyers are of high quality, with good knowledge, experience and commercial sense’.
‘They provide quick turnaround and are very responsive’.
‘They are quick, knowledgeable and think along, ask the right questions and are honest if what I want to do will not work’.
‘In the employment field, Pieter Huys is my trusted partner, he is knowledgeable and critical’.
‘Pieter Huys is a sparring partner and advisor’.
Dupont de Nemours
China Southern Airlines
Port of Rotterdam Authority
- Assisted Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) in complex court proceedings in case concerning Foreign Nationals (Employment) Act resulting in huge victory for RCCL as well as the whole Dutch maritime sector.
- Advised the board of Kotug Smit Towage (KST)/Boskalis and its shareholders on complex co-determination issues in relation to cross-border sale of its business to Boluda Towage Group.
- Assisted Webhelp with intricate contract engineering to ensure maximum flexibility in relation to its workforce whilst respecting collective (labour) agreements and mandatory legislation.
CLINT | Littler
Boutique employment law firm CLINT | Littler acts for large Dutch and global businesses on the HR aspects of domestic and cross-border M&A, employment litigation and general advisory matters. The team is jointly led by partners Dennis Veldhuizen, Wouter Engelsman and Eric Van Dam.
Dennis Veldhuizen; Wouter Engelsman; Eric Van Dam
Starbucks Manufacturing (EMEA)
Federatie Nederlandse Vakbeweging (FNV, the largest /leading labour union in the Netherlands)
Samsung Electronics Benelux
- Advised and assisted Hudson’s Bay Company in the complete wind down and liquidation of all stores in the Netherlands, which included negotiations with the Works Council, trade unions, dealings with press and laying off approx. 1,440 employees.
- Advising Fresenius Kabi on the outbound transfer of the apherese systems from the Netherlands to production plants in Central America and on the inbound transfer of enteral nutrition production. The firm also advises on various other matters.
- Advised and assisted in the restructuring of DMC, a TVT Media Company and formerly part of AMC Networks, Inc., employing about 185 employees in the Netherlands.
CMS' team is noted for its experience of matters connected with the leisure, energy, sports and life sciences sectors. It advises on cross-border restructurings and reorganisations, redundancies and general employment matters. Katja van Kranenburg-Hanspians is recommended for litigation and outsourcing issues, and has recently been advising on state aid subsidy schemes relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. She jointly leads the group with Michiel van Dijk.
Katja van Kranenburg-Hanspians; Michiel van Dijk
‘The team has unique knowledge on sports and legal issues, specifically in the field of anti-doping and medical issues. ’
‘Very positive attitude, always quick, and knowledge is extremely good’.
‘Service-minded and solution-driven’.
‘Katja van Kranenburg-Hanspians was excellent, she guided us through two very complex employment termination cases’.
‘Katja van Kranenburg-Hanspians was a great strategic thinker, but also provided very pragmatic advice’.
‘Katja van Kranenburg-Hanspians was extremely responsive at all hours of the day, which was extremely helpful since I am located on the West Coast of the US’.
John T. Essberger
Dutch Blockchain Coalition
- Supported John T. Essberger with the establishment of a collective bargaining agreement for their seafarers.
- Advising Terex on strategic decisions in a number of high-profile cases, working in close collaboration with their local and international HR and Legal leads.
- Working closely with the TJX Legal and HR leads supporting them with a variety of COVID-19-related employment and GDPR questions.
Dentons specialises in advising on the employment aspects of international M&A, and its capabilities in this space are enhanced by support from other offices in its global network. It also handles employment disputes, mass redundancies and individual dismissals. Eugenie Nunes leads the team. Former practice co-head Epke Spijkerman left for Buren.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good knowledge, client-friendly and quick’.
‘The Dentons team is really pragmatic, and adapts the strategy to the client’s needs’.
‘Eugenie Nunes can always be reached and is really flexible in approach’.
‘Eugenie Nunes is a very good lawyer: pragmatic, quick and she really knows her employment law’.
‘Eugenie Nunes has experience of a wide spectrum of matters and the client feels very comfortable when talking to her and following her advice’.
‘Eugenie Nunes’ negotiation skills are outstanding’.
‘Eugenie Nunes is highly recommended for any employment matter’.
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts
- Advised Spectrum Brands on the reorganisation and divestment of its European pet food business and factory to United Petfood Producers NV.
- Advised Kohlberg & Company on its acquisition of Bemis’ European healthcare packaging business from Amcor’s flexible packaging business unit and subsequent merger with another acquired company, Nelipak.
- Assisted Nasdaq-listed clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company MyoKardia with starting up their business in the Netherlands.
Niche corporate employment firm HDK Advocaten advises large Dutch and international companies on collective dismissals, international M&A and restructurings, litigation and general employment matters. Juliette Huyzer leads the team, which includes Emma Harlaar. Freek Snippers joined as a partner from De Vos & Partners Advocaten.
Other key lawyers:
Michiel Koole; Jeroen Dijkman; Emma Harlaar; Freek Snippers
‘Good knowledge, flexibility and speed, and they are a real sparring partner.’.
‘Very swift and focused action’.
‘Combination of good legal Knowledge and a killer’s mentality’.
‘Emma Harlaar and Juliette Huijzer are both good and streetwise lawyers’.
‘This team is always sharp, flexible, cost-efficient and a great legal strategic partner’.
‘Very good price for top quality work’.
‘Hands-on, responsive, gives the client exactly what it needs’.
‘Juliette Huyzer is an absolutely top-notch employment lawyer’.
Cimpress N.V. / Vistaprint B.V.
Dutch Medical Group B.V.
Damco International B.V. / APM Terminals Management B.V.
Royal Bel Leerdammer B.V. / Bel Nederland B.V.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Archer Daniels Midland Europoort B.V.
Koninklijke VolkerWessels N.V. (Bouw & Vastgoed-ontwikkeling West B.V.)
The Student Hotel
Palo Alto Networks
NH Media/ AT5
Koninklijke Euroma B.V.
JLG EMEA B.V.
Arizona Chemical, a Kraton company
Belangenvereniging Scheidsrechters Betaald Voetbal (BSBV)
- Advising Honeywell on all employment-related matters.
- Advising Cimpress NV / Vistaprint BV on various dismissal cases of (management board level) employees and all other employment-related matters.
- Advising Dutch Medical Group BV on all employment matters, including restructuring, employment dispute resolution and termination settlements with individuals.
Hogan Lovells International LLP’s employment team focuses on the needs of its international client base. Its advice on multijurisdictional matters covers M&A-related employment issues, outsourcing, dismissals, competition and litigation. The team leverages mandates from the TMT, automotive, logistics, banking and insurance sectors. Anita de Jong is the head of the practice.
Anita de Jong
‘Hogan Lovells engaged very quickly in a very complex project, proposing different solutions and being very proactive as to the next steps’.
‘Very well-engaged with the topic we were facing since the beginning and very dedicated to the project. ’
‘Their availability is unique as well as the quality of their services’.
‘Anita de Jong is particularly recommended and nice to work with’.
‘Their pragmatic and very practical approach is very appreciated by clients’.
‘Very high dedication to the customer and commitment to provide the necessary support and provisions of advice to help the customer’.
‘Availability on short notice and if necessary outside the normal hours’.
‘Clear expertise and experience in the domain for which we consulted the team’.
Arconic / Howmet Europe
De Leidsche Verzekeringsmaatschappij
Dun & Bradstreet
Lachlan Murdoch / Illyria
MOL Hungarian Oil & Gas
NorthC group (Datacenteres)
- Advising Endemol Shine Group on employment matters relating to its acquisition by the French media company Banijay.
- Advising Arconic/Howmet Europe on the new European employee consultation structure in relation to the spin-off of Howmet.
- Following the privatisation of Dun & Bradstreet, advising the company on reorganisation, restructuring and organisational changes.
At Norton Rose Fulbright, the employment, labour and pensions team has integrated GDPR and tax expertise and provides compliance and general employment law advice. The head of the practice is Maartje Govaert, who handles works council issues, restructurings and reorganisations, outsourcing projects and collective redundancies. Clients include large financial institutions, insurance companies and global corporates.
Other key lawyers:
Annette van Beers
‘The employment team is very knowledgeable, pragmatic, customer-oriented and quick in servicing us’.
‘They always try to find out why you are asking a specific question or doing a project to be sure that they can service you in the best way possible’.
‘They do not only focus on the legal aspects of a matter, but also take into account the business considerations’.
‘The team tries to understand our business and way of working in order to be able to assist us best and effectively’.
‘Maartje Govaert is not only very knowledgeable and experienced in employment and pension law, she always tries to find out what the underlying issue is in order to help us as a customer in the best way possible’.
‘Maartje Govaert doesn’t hesitate to give you an answer you may not want to hear, but should listen to’.
Aerovías de México, S.A. de C.V.
AIG Europe S.A.
AtriCure Europe B.V.
Central Works Council Booking.com
BMW Holding B.V.
Corbion Group Netherlands B.V.
Deliveroo Netherlands B.V.
Emerald Kalama Chemical B.V.
Fresh Trading Manufacturing B.V. (Innocent Drinks)
Jane Street Netherlands B.V
Works Council of different subsidiaries of Johnson & Johnson
Louis Dreyfus Company Rotterdam B.V.
Lyondell Basell Industries NV
McKinsey & Company, Inc.
Monex Europe Ltd
Open Text Coöperatief U.A.
Reckitt Benckiser (ENA) B.V.
Regal Beloit Corporation
Royal VOPAK N.V.
Stichting Nationale Opera & Ballet
Tower Research Capital Europe Limited B.V.
WPP 2005 Ltd.
- Representing Deliveroo in the high-court case against trade union FNV.
- Representing VEON in several court cases against employees (both in the first instance and on appeal).
- Advising Reckit Benckiser on all its Dutch employment law-related matters.
Osborne Clarke acts for a number of large multinationals on employment, incentives and pensions issues and has recently seen an uptick in instructions relating to corporate restructurings. With a focus on tech, media and communications, the firm also acts for clients in the recruitment and retail sectors. Jorgo Tsiris leads the team.
GoPro Cooperatief U.A.
United Airlines, Inc.
O-I Netherlands B.V.
Subway International B.V.
Diageo Great Britain Limited
- Advising GoPro Cooperatief U.A. on day-to-day employment matters.
- Assisting United Airlines, Inc. and its affiliated entities with all its day-to-day employment matters in the Netherlands.
- Represented Owens-Illinois in corporate governance disputes.
Boutique labour and employment specialist Palthe Oberman has an array of high-profile international clients in the sports, banking and finance, healthcare and life sciences sectors. It has a strong advisory practice and is sought out for advice on restructurings, dismissals, trade union negotiations, outsourcing and contracts. Christiaan Oberman, Marcus Draaisma and Gieneke van Wulfften Palthe jointly lead the team.
Christiaan Oberman; Marcus Draaisma; Gieneke van Wulfften Palthe
Other key lawyers:
Karol Hillebrandt; Peter Hendriks
Cycling Sports Group
ITA (Internationaal Theater Amsterdam)
- Assisting Deutsche Bank for many years as their sole counsel for employment law issues and employee participation matters.
- Advising Takeaway.com on various matters regarding flexible employment law issues.
- Advisng GrandVision on high-level dismissal cases and in various proceedings, works council matters and reorganisations.
Ploum’s employment practice is integrated with its M&A and privacy offerings. Noted for its strong capabilities in contentious and non-contentious matters, the firm acts for large multinational corporations, as well as smaller domestic companies. Areas of focus include general advisory matters, restructurings, competition disputes, workers’ co-determination and litigation. Rutger Ploum and Simon Tan jointly lead the practice.
Rutger Ploum; Simon Tan
Other key lawyers:
Astrid van Toledo
‘The team is able to translate law into pragmatic approaches’.
‘Response is quick and the team is diverse, with specialists on a diverse set of topics’.
‘The partners I know are really approachable’.
‘Astrid van Toledo is really quick and pragmatic but also conceptual’.
‘Long-term relationship building, understanding of business and critical factors’.
‘Responsive, knowledgeable and pragmatic’.
‘Really hands-on and solution-focused’.
‘Rutger Ploum stands out for not only concrete and to the point advice, but also for being fun to work with’.
Rain Carbon, Inc
United Biscuits / Pladis / Verkade
- Advising Unilever on employment and co-determination issues on a day-to-day basis.
- Providing ongoing employment and co-determination advice to Mennens, regarding dismissals of individual employees, employee benefits and co-determination issues.
- Advising APM Terminals Rotterdam on various high-profile employment and co-determination issues.
Boutique corporate employment specialist Shearwaters advises large corporates, financial services companies and high-profile individuals on both contentious and non-contentious matters. It plays a key role in M&A and also handles dismissals, works council consultation processes, executive remuneration, collective redundancies and reorganisations. Martijn van Broeckhuijsen and Maarten Vestering co-head the team.
Martijn van Broeckhuijsen; Maarten Vestering
Amino Technologies plc.
24i Unit Media
Wala Heilmittel GmbH (global brand: “Dr. Hauschka Skin Care”)
Latham & Watkins LLP (London)
Kieback & Peter
Link Nederland / Limacorporate
Van Campen Liem
DAC Beachcroft LLP (London and Manchester)
Wilsons Sollicitors LLP (London)
Radix Trading LLC (Chicago)
Numerous top executives against Google, Salesforce, Microsoft, Accenture, LM Windpower, ICL, BDO, OYO Vacation Homes and FC Vitesse.
- Advising the international executive HR team at Amino and its Dutch subsidiary 24i Unit Media on various employment-related topics, including dismissals and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advising Vistra and many of its clients on general employment law topics, such as secondment arrangements, executive pay and bonus caps.
- Advising the international board of Wala Heilmittel GmbH (Dr Hauschka Skin Care) on various employment-related topics, including a sensitive dismissal.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons handles employment law and financial services regulation work for large multinational corporates. Areas of expertise include investigations, board terminations and subsequent litigation, remuneration, reorganisations and general day-to-day advice. Practice head Joris Oster has over 20 years of experience.
Other key lawyers:
‘Joris Oster and his team are an excellent, strategic, engaged and thoughtful set of lawyers who proactively aim to assist clients with their employment needs and strategies’.
‘They are reliable and available at any time, ensuring seamless, swift and helpful advice’.
‘A great team to work with’.
‘Joris Oster is a top-notch employment lawyer, who thinks strategically for his clients and comes up with great solutions’.
‘Quick turnaround times’.
‘Availability and engagement are great’.
Gilde Equity Management
- Advising VEON on full range of employment law related matters, including individual separations, litigation, strategic advice and governance aspects.
- Providing seamless multi-jurisdictional advice to OranginaSchwepp on day-to-day employment matters.
- Assisted Kiadis Pharma on a reorganisation that required immediate implementation.
Taylor Wessing has a strong profile in the tech, life sciences, automotive and manufacturing sectors. Its team handles a mix of individual and collective employment law work and is noted for its deep litigation experience. Other areas of expertise include post-termination restrictions, terminations, benefits, transfer of undertakings and employment conditions. Marc Van Gelder and Bart Hunnekens co-head the team.
Marc van Gelder; Bart Hunnekens
‘Very professional and knowledgeable’.
‘Compared to other firms, a personal approach and very flexible’.
‘The individuals, both partners as well as associates, are very customer-oriented and have a personal approach’.
‘Bart Hunnekens is a very knowledgeable labour lawyer who gives very practicable advice’.
‘The Taylor Wessing employment team is incredibly good at understanding the intricacies of my company’s business’.
‘They are responsive and thorough with their answers, but do not overdo it’.
‘I’ve found their approach to be refreshing and always helpful; they have been a trusted and critical partner for us’.
‘Bart Hunnekens has been instrumental to our ongoing success in the Netherlands’.
Scandinavian Tobacco Group
De Rooy Transport
Seats and Sofas
Home Fashion Group
- Advised PQ Silicas on the co-determination and TUPE aspects of the transfer of the product line for magnesium silicate.
- Advised leading transport company De Rooy in discontinuing their white goods transport and warehousing activities in the Netherlands.
- Successfully represented VDL Group in a litigated dispute against trade unions on the interpretation of provisions of a collective agreement.
The employment law team at Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V. handles contentious and non-contentious employment matters. On the contentious side, it excels in conflict management and litigation, including cases brought before the Supreme Court. Else Loes Pasma focuses on individual and collective dismissals, employee participation, governance and transfer of undertakings. Leendert Kruidenier jointly leads the group with Pasma. Joyce Snijder is also recommended.
Else Loes Pasma; Leendert Kruidenier
Other key lawyers:
Joyce Snijder; Ida Lintel
‘High professional knowledge, with a proactive approach’.
‘Leendert Kruidenier is well aware of all details and history of our company and enables him to give immediate and accurate answers or input when needed’.
‘They have extensive expertise on privacy, labour law, corporate litigation and civil law’.
‘With regard to labour law, their expertise on contingent workforce-related legal matters are best-in-class’.
‘Joyce Snijder’s extensive knowledge, together with her ease of doing business and fine communication skills, make her indispensable for our business’.
‘Pragmatic, hands-on team’.
‘The team covers all aspects of employment law, including flexible employment relationships’.
‘The firm and the team that advices us in particular knows us very well and that makes their advice very well-tailored’.
Veris Bouwmaterialen Groep
- Advised Vereniging Nederlands Cabinepersoneel VNC on various issues concerning the restructuring of KLM and the collective dismissal of cabin personnel, together with various relating issues such as the proposed unilateral cuts in salary of KLM personnel, changes in the collective labour contracts, and breach of contracts.
- Advising Strating on litigation against Bijenkorf.
- Advised NOMOBO on a reorganisation resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Buren distinguishes itself by having strong links to Asia, which is complemented by the firm having offices in Beijing and Shanghai. Its integrated domestic and international corporate, notarial and tax practice makes the firm well-positioned to handle all the employment aspects of transactions. Epke Spijkerman, who joined as partner from Dentons, jointly leads the team with Suzan van de Kam.
Suzan van de Kam; Epke Spijkerman
‘Epke Spijkerman is always quickly available in case of urgencies, he thinks along and provides suggestions if and when applicable’.
‘Epke Spijkerman’s timely, qualitative support is always much appreciated’.
‘The people are very experienced in their domain and also very pragmatic’.
‘In cases where you just need quick advice, they are capable of providing that without huge memos, but still a good eye for the details that matter’.
‘The cooperation is personal yet very professional’.
‘Their pragmatic approach is not typical with solicitors.
‘Very responsive to inquiries’.
‘Always readily available, quick and practical response, offering the legal information as well as a sparring partner on interpretation and action’.
Zeeman TextielSupers B.V.
Zo Kinderopvang B.V.
- Assisting Zeeman as legal counsel with all employment-related issues.
- Assisting Planon as legal counsel with all employment-related issues.
- Assisting Qlouder as legal counsel with all employment-related issues.
With Jasper van Hulst at the helm, Höcker Advocaten’s full-service employment practice acts for multinational companies, as well as domestic businesses, on a broad range of employment issues. With it having a focus on the media industry, the firm has noted expertise in contentious matters and litigation.
Jasper van Hulst
Other key lawyers:
‘Jasper van Hulst is a trusted adviser on complex employment matters, not only on top of the content and fast to react, but also pragmatic in the execution and a pleasure to work with’.
‘Jasper van Hulst provides very adequate legal support in a complicated environment’.
‘Very short response times and a good and quick grasp of the legal aspects specific to our situation’.
‘They were far more responsive than other firms we worked with’.
‘Jasper van Hulst is extremely responsive, clear and a pleasure to work with’.
‘Extremely practical and focuses on delivering real value to their clients’.
‘I have found their attention to detail and responsiveness without comparison’.
‘They use creative and “out of the box” thinking to deliver high-value advice and guidance on general day-to-day issues’
Tui Airlines Nederland B.V.
Delta Airlines Inc.
Nemo Science Museum
TBWA Neboko B.V.
MOJO Concerts B.V.
Dutch National Opera & Ballet
STER (Stichting Ethernet Reclame)
- Advising Novolex claiming damages under the warranties in relation to the acquisition of Burrow Paper Packaging Operation.
- Advising VI International B.V. on all the employment-related matters for the process of selling the entity, by WPG media.
- Advising Key to HRM Solutions on litigation proceedings regarding breach of contract damages.
HVG Law LLP is in strategic alliance with Ernst & Young Tax and is part of its global network. It takes a multidisciplinary approach to employment matters, drawing on the strengths of its IP, IT, wage tax, social security and pensions practices. Team head Joost van Ladesteijn is well-regarded for litigated matters.
Joost van Ladesteijn
Belkin – Foxconn
Amplifon / Beter Horen
Company specialized in metrology
De Jong Verpakking
Tank Services Pernis
- Assisted Belkin on several works counsel consultation processes and employment related matters.
- Assisting Mainfreight with several works council and CLA related employment matters.
- Assisting the management of Amplifon / Beter Horen with several employment-related matters.
Employment law boutique L&A Advocaten advises large international and Dutch companies and individuals on contentious and non-contentious matters. Its team's workload spans areas such as corporate governance, dismissal cases, and reorganisations and restructurings. The practice is jointly led by ‘competent hands-on advisers’ Arlette Putker-Blees and Irene Francken-van der Ven, who offer ‘clear and pragmatic advice on every employment-related topic’.
Arlette Putker-Blees; Irene Francken-van der Ven
‘Practical can-do mentality combined with solid legal expertise and business acumen’.
‘They are always available and know our firm in depth’.
‘In a very short period of time they understand the organisation like no other’.
‘They work effectively and efficiently’.
‘Arlette Putker-Blees is very knowledgeable, pro-active, and flexible in terms of finding solutions’
‘Arlette Putker-Blees has a good team around her and makes use of this knowledge base whenever needed’.
‘They have a thorough understanding of our needs and availability’.
‘A dedicated team with great knowledge and short reaction times’.
Tele2/T-Mobile Netherlands B.V.
Coöperatie Royal FloraHolland U.A.
Avery Dennison Materials Nederland B.V.
PPHE Hotel Group
Bose Products B.V.
Yamato Transport Europe B.V.
CRH Nederland B.V.
Netherlands Development Finance Company N.V.
ICL Europe Coöperatief U.A.
Stichting Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest
Vesteda Investment Management B.V.
Koninklijke Jumbo B.V.
Kinderrijk Holding B.V.
- Advised CRH Nederland B.V. and coordinated a cross-border restructuring project in the context of a collective dismissal.
- Advised CRH Nederland B.V. on the sale of a business. This involved a transfer of undertaking and a restructuring project.
- Advised Coöperatie Royal FloraHolland U.A. on taking wage measures in relation to the effects of Covid-19, resulting in the successful implementation of these measures.
Liber Dock handles employment and corporate matters relating to workers' organisations. Its team has a wealth of experience of collective dismissals, works council processes, disputes and collective bargaining processes, as well as day-to-day matters and litigation. The ‘accurate, fast and easy to approach’ team is jointly led by Marian van Eck and Boudewijn Kanen.
Marian van Eck; Boudewijn Kanen
‘Although boutique, big enough to guarantee continuity of support’.
‘Marian van Eck is an excellent lawyer, very responsive, and with good business acumen’.
‘The team is very accurate, fast and easy to approach’.
‘The individuals I work with at Liber Dock are fast and accurate in their work’.
‘They proactively think with you to certain solutions for different matters.’
‘They are professional and their international network is strong’.
‘Boudewijn Kanen scores extremely high on the provision of services’.
‘Very responsive, accurate and immediate practical guidance and input’.
Kite Pharma EU (being part of the international group Gilead Sciences)
Syncreon Supply Chain Solutions
Merck Sharp & Dohme (being part of the international group Merck & Co, Inc.)
Mercer (part of the Marsh & McLennan Companies)
Credit Agricole Consumer Finance (special business within Credit Agricole Group)
- Assisted and prepared for Merck’s announcement to spin off Women’s Health activities worldwide (the new worldwide anticipated “Organon & Co”). This will lead to a spin-off and legal demerger in all countries including the Netherlands. This is expected to impact over 1,000 employees in the Netherlands. The firm has provided strategic and legal advice (Works Council, trade unions, employees etc.)
- Assisted Kite Pharma Netherlands and Gilead Netherlands with choosing a suitable employee consultation model in the Netherlands.
- Assisted Booking.com with various employment law cases.
Russell Advocaten B.V. distinguishes itself advising foreign authorities, embassies and consulates in the Netherlands on employment issues through its special embassy desk. The firm is also adept at handling employment issues for boards of directors, supervisory boards and individual directors. Team head Jan Dop is noted for his experience of the corporate and real estate arenas.
‘We appreciate the lawyers due to their in-depth knowledge of Dutch labour regulations’.
‘Fast and efficient communication’.
‘We highly appreciate the professional approach and communication with Mr. Jan Dop’.
‘No-nonsense, to-the-point advice’.
‘Transparent and of outstanding quality’.
‘Accessible partners and overall very good knowledge of the subjects at hand’.
‘They can also rely on a huge network in many areas’
‘Partners and associates alike are really up to the task with in-depth knowledge of the various cases presented’.
Rutgers & Posch
Rutgers & Posch acts for domestic and international clients on strategic employment law, reorganisations, TUPE, benefits, corporate employment law and data protection matters. Practice head Inge de Laat has expertise in dismissals of managing directors, co-determination and outsourcing.
Inge de Laat
Other key lawyers:
Dirk Jan Rutgers; Tijmen Noordoven
‘We frequently work with this team in international projects as they are very responsive and provide excellent, but usable advice’.
‘Very approachable friendly folks that are very responsive and always push the envelope to get things done’.
‘The team is commercially focused and appreciates the concerns corporate clients face in these difficult times’.
‘They were very helpful in assisting us with understanding the Dutch government Covid support schemes’.
Air Traffic Control The Netherlands
Central Works Council Vodafone
Central Works Council Eneco
ICL Fertilizers Europe
- Advising the works council of AEB Amsterdam on privatization and divestment and in the discussions and negotiations between the board of directors and the shareholders.
- Advised the works council of Eneco Group on its privatisation process.
- Advised the Vodafone works council on all aspects regarding the joint venture between Liberty Global and Vodafone and is now appointed as the single advisor of the VodafoneZiggo Works Council
Employment boutique Sagiure Legal handles both contentious and non-contentious employment law and contract law matters. Areas of focus include terminations, HR due diligence, M&A-related employment work, restructurings and redundancies. The team, which is well-regarded for its ‘knowledge, responsiveness, customer focus and business mind set’, is jointly led by Rachida el Johari and Madeleine Molster.
Madeleine Molster; Rachida el Johari
‘It’s a small firm, highly specialised with big law experience’.
‘Nimble and easily accessible’.
‘Understanding of the issues is excellent and they come up with several approaches towards resolution’.
‘Madeleine de Molster is a great employment lawyer and a pleasure to work with’.
‘Good quality of advice; thinking outside the box; they understand long term business drivers and advise strategically with that in mind’.
‘Rachida el Johari is a strong strategic thinker and is business-oriented’.
‘Rachida el Johari is always very responsive and makes herself available’.
‘Very hands-on, quick responses, good quality of work’.
Tritium Technologies B.V.
DNV GL Group
UNGER Germany GmbH
- Assisted Tritium Technologies in implementing the Metalektro CLA and the harmonization of employment conditions.
- Assisting German best friend firm Schramm Meyer Kuhnke with the cross-border bankruptcy of Golfino AG.
- Advising DNV GL Group on strategic employment and labour law advice.
Valegis Advocaten advises entrepreneurs, companies and organisations, as well employees and boards of directors on a broad range of employment law matters. Areas of focus include dismissals, employee participation law, international contracts and immigration. The team, which is led by Carolien Brederije, leverages mandates in the healthcare, retail and manufacturing industries.
‘Knowledgeable, short lines of communication, open-minded people, available at short notice’.
‘They act as if they are internal colleagues, make you feel familiar and understand our business operations’.
‘The lawyers at Valegis are approachable, willing to help and have a feel for our business’.
‘They have the right drive to win for their customer’.
‘They have sound knowledge and are mature enough to take part in tough negotiations’.
‘Valegis employees are easily approachable and respond quickly when help is needed’.
‘They work together like a well-oiled machine, tasks are quickly taken over in the absence of an employee’.
‘Excellent in giving advice and support in complex matters’.
Menken Orlando B.V.
Claranet Benelux B.V.
Stichting Ipse de Bruggen
Stichting Zorg in Oktober
TP Industrial Yarns B.V.
Tasman Global Holdings B.V.
Eggerding Industrial Minerals B.V.
Tower Research Capital Europe B.V.
B2C Europe B.V.
Stichting HWW Zorg
BFG NL B.V.
George Visser Productions B.V.
International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), National Committee of The Netherlands
Stichting Fonds 1818
- Advised Stichting Haagse Wijk- en Woonzorg (HWW) on all aspects of collective dismissal, including negotiations with unions and assisted in dismissal proceedings.
- Advised Stichting Vlietkinderen on reforming HR-structure to comply with new legislation and keep up with market developments.
- Advised BFG NL B.V. on the employment law-related issues of an acquisition of several KFC-restaurants.
Vestius acts for Dutch and international clients operating in the retail, fashion, financial services, IT, pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors. Bart de Vroe is recommended for corporate transactional employment issues, works council matters and dismissal proceedings. Michiel van Haelst, who jointly heads up the team with de Vroe, focuses on litigation, transfers of business, non-competition issues, secondment and educational law.
Bart de Vroe; Michiel van Haelst
‘During the course of events, we were updated as much as possible’.
‘Flexibility of my contact persons is outstanding, together with thorough advice and quick responses’.
‘Informal, high standard advice, ’
‘Michiel van Haelst is an outstanding and experienced lawyer’.
‘Michiel van Haelst is very knowledgeable and thinks along with his client’.
‘Very approachable team, with a personal touch’.
‘Always available when you need them and they think along in finding solutions in difficult situations’.
‘Vestius helped us very professionally and are very strong in terms of content’.
Kelly Services Netherlands
Kentucky Fried Chicken
TNT / FedEx
- Assisted Sandvik Benelux with an extensive employee participation process with the works council.
- Defended Fontys Hogeschool successfully against several employment claims.
- Involved with setting up Celigo Europe, a subsidiary of Silicon Valley based IT-company Celigo Inc.
Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh's Rotterdam-based corporate employment team has notable expertise in dismissals, sexual harassment cases, cross-border restructurings, negotiations with works councils and TUPE. Peter de Waal, who has over 30 years of experience, acts for management boards, directors and shareholders of domestic and international companies. De Waal co-heads the group with counsel Steven Palm.
Peter de Waal; Steven Palm
Anchor Insurance Brokerage
Rapyd (Cash Dash)
Stichting Bedrijfstakpensioenfonds HVI & Jachtbouw
- Advising DVB Bank on a range of employment matters arising from the sale of a number of business units.
- Acting Arcus Holding in a high-profile, high-value Dutch dismissal case.
- Representing Woonbroon on a range of employment litigation and contentious cases ranging in value from €100,000 to €2m and advising on issues arising from Covid-19.
Employment law boutique Workx Advocaten acts for both employers and executive employees on dismissals, collective bargaining agreements and reorganisations. Its team also advises corporate law firms on the employment aspects of M&A. The department is led jointly by Marnix Ritmeester, Jochem de Roos, Maaike de Jong and Bas den Ridder.
Marnix Ritmeester; Jochem de Roos; Maaike de Jong; Bas den Ridder
Laborie Netherlands B.V.
BDR Therma Group B.V.
Cerus Europe B.V.
Stanley Security B.V.
The Employment Group
Dura Vermeer Infra
- Advising Accenture on employment agreements, collective regulations, employer liability and individual employment law cases.
- Together with Stek advocaten, the firm assisted Kuehne+Nagel with the recent acquisition of Rotra group (800 employees) in the transport sector from its owners.
- Advising together with Stek advocaten on the takeover of Axon Digital Design B.V. and its group companies by listed company EVS.