The 16-member real estate group at full-service firm Barros & Errázuriz is widely respected for its experience in transactions and real estate development financing. It has particular expertise in the residential, commercial and industrial segments, particularly on financing and investment matters, as well as multi-family developments and larger real estate projects involving the educational, agricultural, hotel, retail, casino and tourism sectors. Clients further benefit from the firm's strong tax, banking and finance, capital markets, M&A, dispute resolution and regulatory practices. José Ignacio Ovalle (project development advisory) is widely regarded as a leading real estate law adviser, Oscar Ruiz-Tagle specialises in regulatory and urban issues, and Patricio Solórzano in corporate and real estate finance and development -particularly residential, commercial and industrial real estate projects and urban titling matters. Notable support is provided by recently appointed counsel Alejandra Aránguiz and senior associate Eduardo Tirado.
Real estate in Chile
‘The real estate team is very good. They are professionals with very good customer service and a sense of urgency.‘
‘They are a good team, made up of partners, senior and apprentice lawyers, who interact in a very co-ordinated way to provide the service, always ensuring that everything is validated or reviewed by the partner. It is noted that when compared to other law firms, the teamwork is noteworthy, since everything is always reviewed by at least two lawyers.‘
‘An extremely qualified team of professionals who are very motivated. There are several good firms but this is the best.‘
‘José Ignacio Ovalle is excellent, professional, dedicated, and very expert.‘
‘Patricio Solórzano has a lot of experience in the real estate business and because he constantly sees so many operations in the sector, he is able to provide very good advice. He is also very professional and ethically very correct.‘
‘In addition to being a hard worker, senior associate Eduardo Tirado is very professional in what he does. In negotiations he is a very good mediator and always achieves a solution with counterparties. Work can be delegated to him, given his experience.‘
Sura Asset Management
Independencia Administradora General de Fondos
Asset Administradora General de Fondos
Torres Unidas Chile
Compañía General Aguas Marítimas
La Casa de Piedra
Inmobiliaria Wave Spot
Jorge Figueroa Arquitectos
- Assisted Ameris Capital with the structuring of preferred lender operations for a private real estate investment fund.
- Advised Torres Unidas Chile (a subsidiary of American investment fund Berkshire Partners), on the acquisition of up to 13 telecoms towers.
- Advised Asset Chile on the acquisition of two buildings in Santiago.
- Advised Independencia Administradora General de Fondos on the sale of four groups of properties through a private bidding process.
- Advised Sura Asset Management on the purchase of Inmobiliaria Golden Cross.
Carey's 11-strong department has broad experience in the development, financing, construction and sale of real estate projects, including residential, commercial, industrial and hospitality developments, mining and energy-related real estate matters, and rural housing. It is also experienced in deals involving conservation parks, shopping centres, office buildings and educational facilities. In addition, the practice assists with leases, the securitisation of portfolios and real estate asset management, and its advice typically includes corporate, regulatory and tax structuring, as well as the handling of disputes. With his previous experience including almost a decade in house at a major local real estate developer, Juan Pablo Stitchkin's practice focuses on real estate development, commercial real estate -particularly the retail segment- regulatory issues and zoning, construction and claims management. He co-leads the department with counsel Eduardo Martin, whose practice centres on the civil and commercial aspects of real estate along with transactional matters; he is also an officer of the International Bar Association Real Estate Committee. At associate level, Tomás Varela and Javiera Avilés have extensive real estate expertise.
‘A strength that we value is that within real estate law, the firm has a lot of experience.‘
‘Knowledge and experience are an important plus and the number of professionals with these characteristics within the firm is what makes them differentiate themselves from the competition. Among its qualities are professionalism and the diligent way in which they serve us.‘
‘They have a very solid team, with a lot of experience in real estate transactions, and the lawyers are committed to customer service.‘
‘The attorneys demonstrate extraordinary knowledge of real estate law. They are very meticulous and always attentive to the client’s needs.‘
‘Juan Pablo Stitchkin has a great technical background for infrastructure issues, coupled with legal knowledge, which allow him to give great guidance to his clients and assist stakeholders with complex concepts.‘
‘Associate Javiera Avilés is very customer oriented and responsible. She stands out for her ability to structure solutions in a clear order and to co-ordinate internal issues very well. She is an excellent lawyer and a very good negotiator.‘
LATAM Airlines Group
Inmobiliaria Nueva Cordova
- Advised LATAM Airlines Group on the private bidding process, negotiation and closing of the sale and lease-back of three properties in Santiago de Chile, including the company’s headquarters.
- Assisted Sencorp with all real estate-related legal matters, including the recent structuring of multi-phase residential projects through easements and co-ownership regulations.
- Advised Vida Tres on the drafting, negotiation and closing of the sale and lease-back of office space in Las Condes.
- Acted for Cine Hoyts on the bidding process, negotiation and closing of a sale and leaseback operation of a major cinema complex in Santiago.
- Assists H&M with the preparation, negotiation and closing of its long-term leases in Chile.
Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' eight-strong practice is particularly well known for advising on major real estate M&A transactions, such as the purchase and sale of large shopping malls, office buildings and utilities' real estate assets. Other areas of strength include major real estate greenfield projects, including industrial plants, shopping malls and large data centres. The practice has also accumulated expertise in long-term lease agreements, as well as complex construction issues concerning industrial, commercial and energy projects. Juan Pablo Matus regularly advises on significant real estate projects; while Tomás Vidal, who is experienced in advising foreign funds on the acquisition of office buildings and condominium management, was made partner in 2020. Associate-level support is provided by Mónica Pavez.
‘The team I have worked with is excellent, and shows great knowledge in different areas of real estate, also within the framework of corporate and project consulting. I really like the level of commitment, excellent availability, quality of work and analysis, and extensive knowledge. I would recommend this firm in every way.‘
‘They have a very responsive and knowledgeable team. We have been working with Cariola on real estate transactions for over 20 years, and always with very positive results. They understand commercial issues just as well as legal issues, which makes the transaction process easier.‘
‘We have worked with Cariola for several years and its lawyers have deep technical knowledge (municipal licenses, rental contracts, mortgages, etc), as well as the know how to gauge the risks that we can or cannot take as a client. They also know how to explain local market features to an international client.‘
‘Total availability from senior attorneys of the firm to the most junior members. Great for technical knowledge.‘
‘I would like to highlight Tomás Vidal, who is very complete and clear in his answers.‘
Levi Strauss & Co
The Carlyle Group
Renovalia Energy Chile
Empresas Públicas de Medellín (EPM)
Marina del Sol
Celulosa Arauco y Constitución
- Advised Ripley on the sale of the shares of its subsidiaries (Comercial Eccsa, Atlantis Fondo de Inversión Privado and Ripley Inversiones II) in Mall del Centro de Concepción (the owner of a Concepción shopping centre).
- Acted for Inversiones San Vicente on an investment involving the development of two real estate projects in Santiago.
- Assisted The Carlyle Group with the due diligence for a 31-lease agreement.
- Advised WeWork Chile on a lease contract with Inmobiliaria Parkaoki.
- Advised Arauco on a development project, which involved the modernisation and extension of Arauco Mill.
Fontaine & Cía
Fontaine & Cía 'has a very professional team, with extensive experience in the real estate market'. The 11-strong practice is highly rated for its advice to real estate and construction companies (as well as institutional investors) on the development, financing and sale of real estate projects and offices, and commercial and industrial centres. It also acts for consortia construction companies that undertake large-scale real estate development and public infrastructure projects. Real estate head Montserrat Valverde is a residential, office-space, and industrial and commercial real estate project expert; Juan Eduardo Troncoso is recommended for his assistance to institutional investors with complex real estate operations; and Diego Marín is widely respected for his real estate development market expertise. Strong associate support is provided by Ramón Reyes, Javiera Serani and María José Álvarez.
‘The lawyers are experienced in the study of titles, tax regulations, the regulations governing insurance companies’ investments in real estate, the drafting of purchase and sale contracts, and real estate financing and negotiations. This firm has a good team that is equipped with this knowledge.‘
‘Fontaine has a very professional team, with extensive experience in the real estate market. It is important to understand the client’s business and this is why this firm stands out since it has knowledge of the area in which we work as a client. It is also fast and efficient, with a high sense of urgency.‘
‘Great knowledge of the real estate market, great availability of the partners and a constant concern to provide a better service.‘
‘They have great knowledge of all matters regardless of the complexity of the operation or the parties involved. These lawyers give clients great peace of mind.‘
‘The lawyers show a lot of professionalism and knowledge, and they also give a very good service. They are flexible and are able to face complex situations. I can especially highlight Montserrat Valverde for this area.‘
‘Monserrat Valverde has a very detailed handling of the subject, in addition to a sense of urgency, good negotiation skills and a quick understanding of the problems that arise.‘
‘Diego Marín is an excellent lawyer, with deep knowledge and determination.‘
Compañía de Seguros Confuturo
Metlife Chile Seguros de Vida
Principal Compañía de Seguros de Vida Chile
Chilena Consolidada Seguros de Vida
Hispano Chilena de Inversiones
Piedra Roja Desarrollos Inmobiliarios
La Cruz Inmobiliaria y Constructora
- Advised Inmobiliaria Bellavista on the purchase and sale of a land lot in Zapallar.
- Advised Compañía de Seguros Confuturo on the sale of 12 floors in a building.
- Assisted Grupo HMAN (through Rentas Cuarto Centenario and Inmobiliaria Hotel Manquehue), with the sale of land lots.
- Advised Piedra Roja Desarrollos Inmobiliarios on the sale of a plot of land, which is intended for a residential real estate development.
- Assisted Metlife Chile Seguros de Vida with a high-value mortgage loan to Universidad Austral de Chile.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's six-strong team is particularly experienced in assisting international real estate investment funds. Its expertise covers residential condominiums, apartment and office buildings, shopping centres, hotels, and urban and rural real estate developments. As a full-service firm, it also assists with finance and tax structures, real estate assets during M&A transactions, environmental impact studies, due diligence, and real estate investors' partnership agreements. Team leader José Tagle has broad experience in real estate investment funds and urban law. At associate level, María Eugenia Badilla Lepe is experienced in title studies, promissory sale and purchase agreements, sale and purchase contracts, and leases; and Cristóbal Uriarte is noted for real estate project developments. Former partner in the Santiago office, Rafael Jiménez returned to Uría Menéndez's Madrid office.
‘The team is well formed and its associates also have a very good level of expertise.‘
DWS | RREEF Management
Penta Las Americas
Moonvalley Capital y Asesorías Limitada
GLL Real Estate Partners
- Advised Corp Group Activos Inmobiliarios on a mixed-use project, comprising two office buildings and a Mandarin Hotel in Las Condes.
- Assisted Moonvalley Capital with an investment in a real estate project in the borough of Macul.
- Ongoing counsel to Inmobiliaria Rentas Raíces on the management of real estate assets.
- Advises Deka Inmobiliaria Chile One on the management and leasing of units in the Titanium La Portada Building.
- Acted for Core Capital Safi on the acquisition of an office building in Vitacura, which included analysing the property’s titles, existing leases, and preparation of the promissory sale and purchase agreement.
Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana fields a 21-strong group that works predominantly with financial institutions, such as insurance companies, on the creation, development and financing of major real estate projects. It also assists international investment funds with major real estate investments in Chile. Alejandro Álvarez regularly assists construction and real estate companies with real estate matters, and Octavio Bofill has significant experience in advising on the financing of real estate projects, particularly when part of a merger or acquisition. Additional partners that are highly active in the sector include Ana María Yuri (real estate project finance, construction and operational contracts and subleasing - especially with insurance companies and investment funds), Rodrigo Saffirio (pre-sale analysis, real estate asset-related contracts and advisory on real estate transaction finance) and José Antonio Velasco (real estate project finance and development).
‘Excellent and thorough analysis of each situation, with attorneys who are exceptionally knowledgeable. The solutions to problems are presented clearly and appropriately discussed with the client.‘
‘Knowledge of port law, the structure of port companies, and concessions.‘
‘A very well-honed team, with interdisciplinary skills, and they are meticulous and orderly in the collection and analysis of the legal history of acquired properties.‘
‘They have an excellent balance between legal knowledge and commercial orientation, and are able to understand the different positions at stake.‘
‘Great for their handling of legal issues in the real estate area and their business understanding.‘
‘Octavio Bofill has a great capacity for the financial analysis of activities related to our business, and that marks a difference from other firms.‘
‘Octavio Bofill and Rodrigo Saffirio are both exceptionally prompt to respond to any concern or question the client might have. They are well-informed and experienced in different subject matters that encompass the client’s needs.‘
‘Ana María Yuri has the ability to understand problems and how to approach them, with a comprehensive perspective.‘
Bice Vida Compañía De Seguros
Compañía de Seguros Confuturo
Constructura Pacal – Grupo Inmobiliario
Altis Principal Investments
Grupo Inmobiliaria Imagina
Agrícola e Inversiones Kurcula
- Provides ongoing permanent counsel to Grupo Araucana on its real estate investment matters.
- Advising Compañía de Seguros Confuturo on a joint venture with Inmobiliaria Puente and VivoCorp in order to develop Project VivoSantiago, which involves the construction and operation of a shopping centre, commercial building and metro station connection.
- Acting for BICE Vida Compañía de Seguros on the structuring and development of a major shopping centre project in San Felipe.
CMS Carey & Allende's four-member real estate, urban planning and infrastructure group has a strong focus on infrastructure development, urban development (including planning and zoning matters), and related regulatory issues. It also has longstanding experience in the development of pipelines and power transmission lines, expropriation processes and ownership title regularisation for industrial plants and other real estate assets. Pabla Gaínza heads the real estate and construction, and public law and regulatory practices; notable support is provided by senior associate Karin Muñoz, whose practice includes warehouse projects, urban planning law, and construction procedures (including potential conflicts).
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a good understanding of the real estate market and its regulations. They put together a good team with the architect’s offices to manage the necessary documentation for the permits.‘
‘Partner Pabla Gaínza and senior associate Karin Muñoz both show a good understanding of regulation. Both are accessible to meet our requirements.‘
‘Pabla Gaínza is an extraordinary lawyer, with a very broad knowledge of both the theory and practice of the rules that govern the real estate industry, as well as strong business vision.‘
‘Pabla Gaínza is a top-notch urban consultant and attorney. I have not met anyone in the industry with such complete knowledge of urban law, both theoretically and in its application. In addition, She has a business vision that combines very well with her legal knowledge. I think that Pabla is more than just a lawyer, she is a very complete urban adviser. Furthermore, she is very transparent in explaining the risks of decisions.‘
Antofagasta Railway Company
Banco Santander Chile
AKI KB Minibodegas
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Dekra Revisión Técnica
- Assists Aki KB Minibogedas with various self-storage centre projects.
- Advised Banco Santander on the development of the Work Café project in offices throughout the country; including property title investigations and permit applications, among others.
- Advised FCAB on the development of a 48-hectare urban project in downtown Antofagasta (northern Chile).
Fleischmann & León Abogados' nine-member department advises a number of real estate and construction companies, as well as investment funds, on the development of housing, office and commercial projects. It is also focused on: advising clients on their relations with landowners in relation to project development; and the finance structuring for commercial store and shopping centre projects. Juan Pablo Urenda leads the real estate practice in conjunction with senior associate -and real estate and construction law specialist- Vicente Fuenzalida Rivas. Name partner Juan Ignacio León Lira is also active in the sector; his experience includes bidding processes, negotiations, financing, audits and claims.
Gestión yAsesorías Inmobiliarias Real Assets
SBA Torres Chile
British Royal School
- Advised IFB Inversiones on the acquisition and financing of over 25 shopping centres and offices.
- Advised Empresas FG on real estate projects throughout the country, including the sale of offices and homes, and hotel sector projects.
- Assisted Gestión y Asesorías Inmobiliarias Real Assets with the financing, acquisition, development and sale of various projects.
The six strong team at Guerrero Olivos is particularly experienced in real estate transactions and financing; its workload also encompasses real estate asset management, project development and regulatory issues. Focused on both transactional and regulatory issues, practice head Martín Santa María is an expert in zoning regulations and real estate permit disputes; co-head of the firm's public law, regulatory and TMT groups, José Gabriel Undurraga regularly assists local real estate companies with their relations with regulators. Associate Tomás Rosemary is noted for project acquisitions, title reports, real estate financing and leasing contracts, among other issues.
GLL Real Estate Partners
CBS Real Estate Developers
Valle Lo Campino
- Advised local real estate developer Patagonland on the acquisition and development of three residential building projects in Santiago.
- Ongoing advisory to Falabella Inmobiliario wregarding permitting and disputes.
- Ongoing advice to German real estate developer GLL regarding its investments in Chile.
MB Abogados' sizeable 19-strong practice advises real estate companies on a range of transactions, including M&A, joint ventures, project finance and general corporate governance. In addition, the team advises public and private investment funds (and property owners) on real estate project-related issues. Focused on real estate project financing and development, Carolina Menichetti heads the real estate team, which also includes widely-respected real estate specialist Ignacio Bolelli. Strong growth in 2019 saw real estate project development and finance expert Benjamín Salas becoming partner and the hiring of senior associates Francisca Rodríguez and Cristóbal Silva from EY Chile and Carey, respectively. Further support is provided by senior associates Diego Yavar and Sybil O’Reilly.
‘Basically what differentiates them is the presence of the senior partners in each work issue. The team is highly experienced in real estate in a broad sense, including a deep understanding of business and associated legal, tax and accounting implications.‘
‘They are pro-business! They maintain order, follow up and provide both legal and commercial advice.‘
‘They become a team with the client, without neglecting efficiency and effectiveness.‘
‘The difference is made by partner Carolina Menichetti, who has a global vision of issues that is difficult to find elsewhere.‘
‘Benjamín Salas has a lot of real estate project finance experience, which makes it easier to close these types of contracts. By meeting the banks, and the counterparty attorneys, it is easier to reach agreements with him and his team.‘
‘I highlight the professionalism of Benjamín Salas and senior associate Cristóbal Silva in urban and real estate issues. In terms of leasing contracts, Ignacio Bolelli should be in the top three in Chile for his vast experience in working with real estate rental funds.‘
Rentas Patio I
LV-Patio Renta Inmobiliaria III
Padre Hurtado Rentas
- Advised Patio Residencial on the acquisition of 14 properties in the borough of Macul.
- Advised Desarrollos Comerciales on the purchase of real estate in the Los Lagos region.
- Advised LV-Patio Renta Inmobiliaria III on a lease and purchase option agreement, which was entered into with Metlife Chile Seguros de Vida.
Prieto Abogados' four-member department provides a full-spectrum service in relation to the acquisition, development and construction of large real estate projects, including assistance with tax planning, financing, corporate issues, land use, environmental law and construction matters. The team also handles due diligence and key contract negotiations. Fernando Samaniego heads the real estate team (as well as the litigation and arbitration department). At associate level, Camila Urzúa's practice is predominantly focused on real estate project development, and Alejandra Bañados is also active in real estate work. However, former partner Cristóbal Villarino and associate Juan Andrés Ilharreborde left to co-found Villarino e Ilharreborde in early 2020. Since publication, Bañados has been promoted to counsel, effective as of May 2021.
‘This is an excellent team.‘
Redes Energéticas Nacionais
Inmobiliaria Deisa Limitada
Fondo de Inversión Privado GSI I
Applus Servicios Tecnológicos SLU
Sociedad Rentas de Capitales Mobiliarios ISC
Sociedad de Inversiones San Roque
Asesores en Viaje
Compañía de Seguros Confururo
- Advised Portugal’s Redes Energeticas Nacionais on the purchase of a transmission line.
- Provides ongoing advice to Fondo de Inversion Privado GSI I (a real estate investment fund) on property acquisitions throughout Chile.
- Regularly assists Inmobiliaria Desa with the sale of luxury apartments.
In addition to day-to-day matters and the management of real estate projects, Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr's five-strong real estate department is best known for real estate development, including due diligence processes, joint ventures, purchase and construction agreements, financing, obtaining administrative permits, and real estate sales. Experienced partners Gonzalo Errázuriz (due diligence; joint venture, purchase and construction agreements; project finance; administrative permits and authorizations, and real estate sales), and Felipe Rencoret , who made partner in 2017, co-lead the practice; Errázuriz acts as an adviser to several real estate companies' directorial boards, while Rencoret's practice extends into both project finance and construction; he has longstanding experience in the sector.
Inmobiliaria Valle Grande
Inmobiliaria Santa Elena
Inmobiliaria Mall Viña del Mar
Nueva Costanera Participaciones
Inmobiliaria Parque Embajadores
Inmobiliaria Parque Bicentenario
INCO Gestión 2
Inmobiliaria Santa Inés
Inmobiliaria Mirador Barón
Inmobiliaria Mackenna 60
Energía de la Patagonia y Aysén
Inmobiliaria e Inversiones Paseo Prat
- Assisted Inmobiliaria Mall Viña del Mar with the expansion and remodelling of a shopping centre in Viña del Mar.
- Advised Inmobiliaria Santa Elena on an urban real estate development in Santiago.
- Advised Inmobiliaria Valle Grande on a large real estate development in Santiago, comprising over 20,000 houses, a crystal water lagoon and schools, among others.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Baker McKenzie Chile has broad real estate sector experience that centres on acquisitions (ownership, environmental and tax issues), and developments (construction agreements, permits and sales). The Santiago office also houses specialists with expertise in real estate finance, the incorporation of real estate investment funds and inbound real estate investment. Senior counsel and department head Andrés Wagner has some 30 years' experience in real estate law; key associate Francisco Nualart has paricular knowledge of real estate contracts.
Fondo de Inversión Cameron
Administradora General de Fondos Security
Bank of Tokyo
- Advised investment fund Cameron Partners on the acquisition of a building project.
- Advised Peruvian agribusiness company, Camposol regarding leases for plots of 350-hectares and 40 hectares of agricultural land.
- Assisted Inmobiliaria Puerto+Arquitectura with the purchase of six properties.
Coeymans, Edwards, Poblete & Dittborn
Real estate is a core practice area for mid-sized firm Coeymans, Edwards, Poblete & Dittborn, which advises a range of developers, investors, renters and financiers. The nine-member group is experienced in a range of real estate segments, including residential, commercial, industrial, agricultural and hospitality. Name partner Antonio Dittborn is the experienced practice head, and handles residential, commercial and industrial real estate projects (both development and structuring), public works infrastructure, and engineering and construction projects. Senior associate Sebastián Aninat Bianchi, who has experience in structuring and developing real estate projects; rejoined the firm in January 2020 after time spent at both White & Case LLP and Banco BBVA, in Frankfurt, Germany.
‘A very good practice that is led by Antonio Dittborn, an extremely present, dedicated lawyer, who is capable of generating key bonds of trust and leads negotiations with great experience. The team is very close, with very good internal communication – they work very well together.‘
‘Great for availability, technical capacity and efficiency. The lawyers have a surprising speed of response and execution.‘
Inmobiliaria San Patricio
Inmobiliaria Nuevo Barrio
Inmobiliaria Bahía Panguipulli
Inmobiliaria El Cacique
Agricultural Land Corporation
Amplo Asset Management
Penta Vida Compañía de Seguros de Vida
Inmobiliaria Costa Terao
Garcia Bruce Desarrollos Inmobiliarios
Inmobiliaria Nuevo Barrio
Viña Luis Felipe Edwards
Inmobiliaria Flores del Maipo
Inmobiliaria Santa Clara de Buin
- Advised Inmobiliaria Brick on the purchase of a property for residential and commercial development.
- Advised Patagon Land on the purchase of land for a luxury residential building development of 15 houses.
- Advised Inmobiliaria San Patricio on the purchase of an industrial property for its operations.
Correa Squella's real estate practice covers the financing, legal planning and execution of large condominium projects, as well as having particular expertise in the development of port infrastructure, port concession management and associated public bidding processes. In other work the team has been active in real estate matters ranging from the education and mining sectors to church properties and forestry infrastructure facilities. It also regularly acts for clients before the urban, registry and administrative authorities. Experienced partner and ports' specialist, Carolina Squella, leads the real estate practice; with key support from senior associate Carla López, who focuses on real estate, infrastructure projects and financing.
Vientos de Renaico
Viña Cousiño Macul
Sociedad Minera El Águila
Empresa Portuaria San Antonio
Empresa Portuaria Puerto Montt
Empresa Portuaria Austral
Empresa Portuaria Chacabuco
- Advised Empresa Portuaria San Antonio on the development of the largest public port in the country.
- Advised Cousiño Real Estate Holding on the development of a large real-estate housing project, comprising houses and commercial and educational facilities.
- Advised Vientos de Renaico on the financing, planning and execution of four wind energy parks in southern Chile.
DLA Piper Chile is a constant market presence advising on the development of real estate projects, including the drafting of construction contracts, urban planning and the financing of housing, hospitality and photovoltaic plant projects. The practice also advises on regulatory, taxation and land issues. Head of the real estate and construction practice, Rodrigo Álvarez is a 20-year veteran of the sector and focuses primarily on full life-cycle project development (from project initiation to sale), along with the tax planning and implementation. Counsel Teresa Fernández handles both the corporate and regulatory aspects of real estate matters, while senior associate Bernardita Doren focuses on corporate, project and real estate finance.
‘In a fairly dynamic business, dynamic and effective attention is required. This is what we have received from DLA. The team has given us great results and we have not had the need to look at other offices.‘
‘They fully understand the business we are in and, very importantly, how we work. This allows us to have clear and concise answers to different subjects and problems that arise from day to day.‘
‘Counsel Teresa Fernández is outstanding.‘
Santafe Desarrollos Inmobiliarios
Aktivo Fondo Privado de Inversión
Renta Inmobiliaria Alto Vespucio
- Assisted Selina Operations Chile with the negotiation and execution of a joint venture agreement for the development of Selina Hotels in Chile.
- Assisted Renta Inmobiliaria Alto Vespucio with the acquisition of a building in Santiago’s Quilicura.
- Assisted Inmobiliaria Santa Fe with the acquisition of land in the municpality of Las Condes for future construction purposes.
Frías & Lagos Abogados
Founded in 2017, Frías & Lagos Abogados' four-strong real estate department is led by experienced name partner Esteban Maira (previously at Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr). The team assists with land purchase and unit sales, due diligence, construction agreements, and contracts with gas and sanitary companies. Other notable areas include project finance, permitting and leases.
‘It is technically a highly prepared team that leaves no doubt about looking for an alternative. We like its speed and the personalised work they deliver.‘
‘The team is highly committed to customer needs and with a high degree of knowledge that is much higher than that observed in other offices. Their best qualities are the experience they have, the speed of their responses and making the problems that our company faces daily their own.‘
‘What makes this practice unique is the office’s knowledge of real estate aspects. We have worked with various real estate attorneys from large and prestigious offices, and Esteban Maira and his team of attorneys are the best, in terms of knowledge and speed of service.‘
‘Esteban Maira stands above other lawyers, with great professionalism and depth of work, always responding effectively before the deadline.‘
‘Esteban Maira stands out for his great response speed and agility to manage the different stages of each matter, proactively responding to all demands made. His high knowledge levels of real estate law stand out, which translates into a job well done that gives you security and confidence.‘
‘Esteban Maira’s is great for his ability to put himself in the client’s place and achieve objectives, as well as his knowledge and high standard of quality of service. He really stands out.‘
Isiete Grupo Inmobiliario
Inmobiliaria Parque Trapiche
Inmobiliaria Parque Ciudadano
Inmobiliaria Mirador Ñielol
Inmobiliaria Walker Martínez
Inmobiliaria Claro Solar
- Advises Isiete Grupo Inmobiliario on a daily basis, including assisting with land purchases, construction agreements, obtaining administrative permits, and sales and leases.
- Advising Inmobiliaria Trapiche on the development of a real estate project, which comprises 700 apartments and 580 parking spaces.
- Advised CrediTú on property-related due diligence.
Garrigues Chile's seven-strong department has broad experience in office, residential, commercial and hotel projects. The team assists with the full project development cycle, from the financing, tax structuring and regulatory aspects, to the acquisition, development, construction, sale and leasing of real estate projects. José Miguel Rioseco has over 20 years' experience in the sector, principally both finance and development matters; and Luis Eduardo Correa acts for investment funds, developers and service providers on both transactional and day-to-day matters. Key support is provided by senior associate María Cecilia Morandé.
‘It is a very complete, flexible team that accompanies the entire operation from its origin to its end – very good quality.‘
‘They are very pro-business and look for creative solutions. I highlight Luis Eduardo Correa.‘
Sura Asset Management Latin America
Ameris Capital Administradora General de Fondos
Nahmias Inversiones y Desarrollo Inmobiliario
Inmobiliaria Agustín del Castillo
Servicios Aeroportuarios Aerosan
CSREFI Chile Fund Holding
- Advising London-based Ashmore Group -in conjunction with the firm’s Colombia and Peru teams- on the ongoing acquisition of a 30-40% interest in Actualcorp, one of Chile’s leading developers.
- Advised SURA (and its subsidiaries) on the acquisition of a major real estate portfolio.
- Advised Ameris Capital Administradora General de Fondos on the acquisition of a 49% stake in a company that owns four shopping malls in Chile.
Grasty Quintana Majlis & Cia.’s real estate group assists with all stages of real estate projects, including negotiations, conveyances, construction agreements, joint ownership regulations and financing. It also assists with leases, project administration contracts and administrative regularisations. With vast experience in the planning and operation of real estate businesses, practice head Hugo Prieto also handles real estate due diligence, acquisitions, leasing and sales, and construction contracts and specialty agreements. Associate José Francisco Osman focuses on complex agreements and due diligence work.
Inversiones Punta Blanca
Nueva Inmobiliaria Korlaet
Patricia Vargas y Compañía
- Advises Movicenter on an ongoing basis, including the drafting of lease contracts and construction agreements.
- Provides ongoing counsel to Inersa regarding the administration of its real estate assets.
- Advises Inversiones Punta Blanca on the development of mid-sized shopping malls.
The five-member team at Honorato | Delaveau advises real estate and construction companies, real estate investment funds, investment banks, family offices and private clients on the development of residential, industrial, office and commercial projects. It also assists with the establishment of operating vehicles and financial structures. A specialist in real estate, engineering and construction law, as well as project finance, Juan Ignacio Peña leads the team, which also fields asset-backed finance expert Sebastián Delpiano. The firm responded rapidly to the departure of former senior associate Roberto Olivos in August 2019, drafting in Macarena Riquelme from Quintanilla & Busel Niedmann as a senior the same month, hiring and Antonia Vial from Arteaga Gorziglia & Cia Abogados in November.
Socovesa Desarrollos Comerciales
Zurich Asset Management
Obras Especiales Chile
HMC Administradora General de Fondos
GLL Real State
The unwinding of the 2018 merger which produced Jara del Favero & Ried Fabres saw the return to the market of its two constituent firms, Ried Fabres and Jara del Favero Abogados. The latter's real estate project-focused practice assists with planning, financing, title revision, land purchasing and building permits. It also advises on administrative procedures, construction works, and sales and leases. Experienced partner Sven Herlin leads the firm's real estate (and M&A) department.
‘Jara del Favero’s team is very solid in all areas of real estate business and provides sound recommendations. The truth is that the lawyers provide a highly prepared professional service, with a tremendous willingness to collaborate and a sense of urgency that is vital in this area.‘
‘Great for their knowledge and expertise in real estate law, which results in our being able to trust in them 100%. Response times also play a fundamental role, as well as their confidence in being able to delegate complex matters to associates.‘
‘Sven Herlin provides tremendous support when we assert our real estate rights.‘
Arauco Inmobiliaria (and subdivisions)
Inmobiliaria Casas de la Iglesia
Inmobiliaria Las Frutillas
Asesoría e Inversiones Avior
Inmobiliaria Candelaria Goyenechea
Inmobiliaria Lo Espejo 051
Puerto + Arquitectura
Inmobiliaria Viviendas 2000
- Provides ongoing advice to Arauco Inmobiliaria and its subdivisions on the development of real estate projects.
- Advising Inmobiliaria Casas de la Iglesia on a real estate project development, which includes assistance with planning, financing, title revision and land purchasing, among other matters.
- Advising Inmobliliaria Las Frutillas on an ongoing basis, including assistance with obtaining the financing of a real estate project.
With particular expertise in the infrastructure and construction sectors, Larrain y Asociados Abogados' seven-member real estate department specialises in title reviews, collateral issues, co-ownership regulations, and purchase and transactional agreements. Its representative high-stakes work covers housing, hospitality, viticulture, energy and mining sector-related projects. The real estate team is led by experienced partners José Pedro Baraona and former Undersecretary at Chile's National Property Ministry, Juan Carlos Bulnes. Senior associate Juan de Dios Ferrada and associate José Spoerer provide notable support.
‘This is a very good office. The lawyers have a lot of knowledge and are very close to their clients. The team differs from large firms because of the direct contact with partners.‘
‘Great for availability, reliability and seriousness.‘
Sociedad Concesionaria Vespucio Oriente
Banchile Administradora General de Fondos
San Manuel S.A., Desarrollo e Inversiones
The Singular Hotels
- Advises Sociedad Concesionaria Vespucio Oriente on the expropriation process of real estate lots for the construction and development of an urban highway project.
- Advises Empresas CMPC on real estate matters, including the purchasing and leasing of industrial premises and associated regulatory issues.
- Assists Empresas La Polar with the development of a new distribution centre and warehouse in Pudahuel.
Boutique law firm Marinovic & Alcalde Abogados has a group of seven practitioners that advise on all stages of real estate projects, including assistance with construction, environmental law, permits and regulatory issues. The team is also expert in compliance matters involving land use regulations, and real estate litigation regarding zoning and land-use decisions. Real estate head Juan Carlos Méndez Montero has comprehensive knowledge of the sector and led over 20 completed real estate projects during 2019. Name partner Iván Marinovic Pacey and senior associate Domingo Edwards Morel both have extensive experience in the sector.
‘The full availability of Marinovic’s lawyers is highly relevant. The closeness of the work team to clients is also essential, which allows the law staff to better understand problems and seek timely solutions. This is an experienced team, with professionals with various specialties who give excellent advice.‘
‘They have a very cohesive team. It is clear that there is a lot of internal communication and that they complement each other very well. You can see that there is appreciation and respect. It seems to me that the degree of internal co-ordination exceeds that of other firms, especially the very large ones, where I have sometimes been able to notice disagreements and delays.‘
‘They handle matters perfectly. In transactions with other companies or private parties, when there have been discrepancies with lawyers from other firms, the attorneys at Marinovic have always ended up being right.‘
‘The plus of the lawyers of this office is that they are a small team that serve their clients in a personalised way.‘
‘Juan Carlos Méndez Montero has proven to be very efficient in meeting the large number of legal requirements of real estate companies. He always responds quickly and accurately, meeting the deadlines of the industry. He is an excellent lawyer, who is a hard worker, knows a lot and also has a spectacular way of handling people. The latter makes things much easier in complex processes, where the counterparty does not always have the best disposition.‘
‘Iván Marinovic Pacey has shown great experience in the workplace. I think he always has the last word on strategic decisions and is a good guide for younger lawyers.‘
‘Senior associate Domingo Edwards Morel also knows a lot about this area. He always responds quickly and you can see the positive effort he makes to meet our needs in a timely manner.‘
Carmell Real Estate
- Acts for Carmell Grupo Inmobiliario on a daily basis, including advising on a luxury apartment project.
- Assists major public housing entity, Boetsch Holding, with all its real estate legal needs.
- Advises the Magal Group on a daily basis, including the purchase of land for the development of real estate projects.
Morales & Besa's six-member real estate and infrastructure team is focused on both transactional and regulatory matters, and frequently works alongside the firm's banking and finance, tax, and energy practices. The department is led by experienced partner Macarena Laso, whose broad experience covers public concessions, real estate and construction works, along with infrastructure projects. The practice is strongly supported by senior associate James Channing, who brings approximately 10 years’ experience in construction, real estate, project finance and infrastructure to the practice.
‘The real estate team is very experienced. It has provided us with advice on simple issues of real estate law, as well as more complex tenders.‘
‘They are very orderly, fast and efficient. I have been working with M&B since its creation. I have been advised on several real estate purchases. They know real estate issues very well and also handle real estate-related tax issues very well.‘
‘They are great professionals, very solid at a technical level and very pleasant to work with.‘
So Send I You International
Compañía de Seguros de Vida Confuturo
Patagonia Ventures Chile
Coordinador Eléctrico Nacional
Sociedad Concesionaria Metropolitana de Salud
- Advising Sociedad Concesionaria Metropolitana de Salud on the construction of the Félix Bulnes Hospital.
- Advised Sociedad Concesionaria Nuevo Pudahuel on matters concerning the EPC contract for the new Santiago International Airport (currently under construction).
- Advised Banco Security on the financing for the acquisition of several gas service stations by Inmobiliaria GSI I.