Mr Christopher Richardson > Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP Offices
600 TRAVIS, SUITE 4200
HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Go to...
Mr Christopher Richardson
Chris is an energy transactions lawyer and former General Counsel who focuses his practice on domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; strategic joint ventures and investments; project development and construction (including LNG projects, pipelines and facilities); upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas contracts; and corporate governance.
Chris also provides strategic counsel to independent E&P companies, national oil companies, oil majors, oilfield service companies, private equity investors and sovereign wealth funds in relation to deal structuring, investment risks, joint venture management, dispute resolution, operational and commercial matters, new country entry, and relations with host country governments.
Chris has advised clients on conventional and unconventional oil and gas matters throughout the United States. He has also handled transactions and projects in dozens of foreign jurisdictions, including across Latin America, Asia (with particularly deep experience in India, China and Southeast Asia), the Middle East, Africa, Russia and Central Asia, and Australia. Chris also serves as an advisor to foreign governments in the development of their oil and gas laws and regulations as part of the Commercial Law Development Program, under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Commerce and State Department.
Prior to joining the firm, Chris served as General Counsel and as a member of the Executive Committee of Mubadala Petroleum, an international oil & gas company owned by the government of Abu Dhabi, with upstream, midstream and LNG operations and assets located throughout the Eastern Hemisphere. Chris was also previously resident in the Hong Kong and Houston offices of a leading energy law firm and worked in-house with Occidental Petroleum in Texas and the Middle East.
Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (2005–Present)
- JD, 2004, University of Virginia School of Law, Virginia Environmental Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- BA, 1999, magna cum laude and departmental honors, Tulane University
United States > Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
Based primarily in Houston, the team at Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP acts for a wide range of project sponsors, trusts and investors in transactions involving oil and gas exploration, production, development, storage and transportation. The practice group is jointly headed by Harve Truskett and Hal Haltom, and includes Michael O’Leary, who co-heads the firm’s corporate group. Recent highlights included Robert Jewell acting for the Conflicts Committee of the Board of Directors of the General Partner of Antero Midstream GP (AMGP) in AMGP’s acquisition of all outstanding common units of Antero Midstream Partners in a stock and cash transaction valued at $7.2bn. DCP Midstream Partners, Hilcorp Energy Company and Sinopec are among the team’s key clients. Christopher Richardson and Charlie Ofner joined White & Case LLP.
White & Case LLP acts on oil & gas project financing; including refineries, petrochemical projects, LNG liquefaction trains, offshore drilling and development and tolling arrangements. The global oil and gas industry group is headed by New York-based Jason Webber, who ‘has the ability to simplify very complex issues for a client, and demonstrates exemplary talent in contract negotiations‘. Webber recently advised Global Infrastructure Partners on its $1.8bn acquisition of Medallion Gathering & Processing, the owner of the largest privately held crude oil transportation system in the Midland Basin of West Texas. Other key lawyers include New York-based Arthur Scavone and Miami-based Christian Hansen. In 2018, the Houston team was strengthened by a number of new arrivals. Jay Cuclis joined from Vinson & Elkins LLP, Steven Otillar joined the team from Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Christopher Richardson and Charlie Ofner joined from Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, and David Strickland was brought over from King & Spalding LLP.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: toxic tort - defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Real estate > Real estate2
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Finance > Capital markets: debt
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Intellectual property > Patents: licensing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Finance > Project finance