Mr John Townsend > Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP Offices
1775 I STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20006-2401
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Go to...
Mr John Townsend
Partner; Chair, Arbitration and ADR Group.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed since 1971, New York, Paris, Washington. Admitted NY 1972; DC 1990.
Chairman of the Board 2007-2010, American Arbitration Association; US Member,ICSID Panel of Arbitrators, 2008-2014; Chair of Privilege Task Force, Member, Arbitration and Competition Law Committees, US council for International Business; Chair 2005-06, Mediation Committee,International Bar Association; Challenge Review Board, CPR Institute; College of Commercial Arbitrators; American Law Institute; Vice President of the Court of Arbitration, LCIA.
BA Yale University 1968; JD Yale University 1971.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP finds favor for its ‘skills of legal analysis‘ and its ‘intercultural, diverse group‘. Largely concentrated in the firm’s Washington DC and New York offices, the national practice also benefits from a platform in Miami, which is utilised by Latin America specialist Luis O’Naghten to plug into the LatAm region. The firm covers the full scope of arbitration matters, from commercial, through to investor-state and state-to-state cases, and is active across the globe. Washington DC is the seat of high-profile arbitration co-chair John Townsend, who has served as arbitrator in over 85 arbitrations, spanning all major arbitration rules. James H. Boykin, also in Washington DC, spearheads the investment treaty arbitration practice; a key contact for German-speaking clients, Boykin is representing Deutsche Telekom in a petition to enforce an arbitral award against the Republic of India. Rémy Gerbay and Diego Durán de la Vega are also noted in Washington DC. In New York, arbitration co-chair Hagit Muriel Elul is held up as ‘a force to be reckoned with‘, and had a strong recent run in pharmaceutical-related cases. Daniel Weiner, who has a focus on IP disputes, is also recommended in New York.
- Hall of Fame - United States > Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- International arbitration - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Tax > International tax
- International Trade > International trade
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense