Edward Leeds > Ballard Spahr LLP > Philadelphia, United States > Lawyer Profile
Ballard Spahr LLP Offices
1735 MARKET STREET, 51ST FLOOR
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103-7599
- Go to...
Business and Transactions
Edward I. Leeds is counsel in the Employee Benefits/Executive Compensation, Health Law, and Privacy and Data Security Practice Groups of Ballard Spahr, where he concentrates on issues relating to the design, administration, and taxation of health and other welfare benefit plans. His practice has evolved with the laws and market forces that shape those plans. He advises clients about compliance with the Affordable Care Act, HIPAA, HITECH, COBRA, cafeteria plan rules, and other legal requirements. He assists clients in evaluating and implementing measures to meet HIPAA’s privacy and security requirements. He advises them with regard to wellness initiatives and assists them in meeting reporting requirements under the Affordable Care Act and ERISA. During the COVID-19 outbreak, he is helping employers address health and welfare benefit issues arising from the FFCRA and CARES Act, Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, and American Rescue Plan, as well as changes in their workforce.
Ed represents employers in the negotiation and drafting of contracts with insurers, third-party administrators, and other vendors. He drafts plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and other communications. His experience includes helping clients implement a wide range of health benefit offerings, including Medicare Advantage Programs, EGWPs, on-site clinics, and integrated health reimbursement arrangements.
Ed also serves as the firm’s HIPAA Privacy Counsel.
Harvard Law School (J.D. 1984, cum laude)
Haverford College (B.A. 1980)
United States > Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
Praised for its ‘depth of knowledge in the benefits space’, Ballard Spahr LLP’s workload includes health and welfare benefit plans and defined benefit pension plans, as well as executive compensation matters and ESOPs. Also noted for its capability in handling tax-exemption issues, the team counts health care systems, colleges, universities and non-profitable organizations among its roster of clients. Brian Pinheiro leads the practice from the firm’s office in Philadelphia and handles compliance matters relating to section 409A and 280G golden parachute rules, tax-qualified retirement mandates and 401(k), 403(b), and 457 plans. Also based in Philadelphia, counsel Edward Leeds focuses on health and welfare benefit plans work.
- Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design - United States > Labor and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance