Stephen Smith > Bristows LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Bristows LLP Offices
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
- Go to...
Stephen has 20 years’ experience advising across a broad range of EU and UK competition law matters.
Stephen’s practice includes distribution agreements, merger control, cartels and anti-trust investigations, abuse of dominance and competition litigation.
Stephen has represented clients before the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority in the UK and on appeals both to the European courts in Luxembourg and to the UK Competition Appeals Tribunal. He advised the Société Co-opérative de Production (SCOP), the company operating Eurotunnel’s MyFerryLink business, in its landmark appeal.
The case was the first ever jurisdictional challenge under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act to reach the Supreme Court in the UK. Stephen also advised the owners of the Evening Standard and the Independent in the Competition Appeals Tribunal on their successful jurisdictional challenge against the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Support’s attempt to intervene in the sale of a minority stake to overseas investors.
More recently, Stephen has been advising Dutch listed home furnishings group Hunter Douglas in respect of the CMA’s Phase 1 and Phase 2 reviews of the completed acquisition of 247 Home Furnishings.
Stephen is recognised by his clients as adept at providing pragmatic, commercial advice and his experience spans diverse sectors including life sciences, financial services, retail, manufacturing, telecommunications and technology. He has also has experience of working inside a regulator, having worked at OFCOM, the UK’s communication regulator, earlier in his career.
Stephen is fluent in French and is a former Chair of the Law Society’s Competition Section, where he remains a member of the Committee.
Advocaat bij de Balie te Brussel
Admitted in Republic of Ireland (non-practising)
Committee Member of the Law Society’s Competition Section (past Chair)
Aylesbury Grammar School
University of Cambridge, MA (Hons) Modern and Medieval languages 1997
Guildford College of Law 1999
Lauded by clients for its ‘experienced, thoughtful and brilliant‘ capabilities at the intersection of IP and competition litigation, Bristows LLP is particularly well regarded for its technology and life sciences acumen. The ‘fantastic‘ Sophie Lawrance draws superlative praise from various blue-chip clients, which turn to her for representation in consumer technology and pharmaceutical sector proceedings. ‘Exceptional‘ practice co-chair Stephen Smith is an experienced advocate who acts for companies in a range of settings, before a number of regulatory agencies, while senior associate Edwin Bond focuses chiefly on technology, pharmaceuticals, and consumer electronics cases. Pat Treacy is now a senior counsel and part-time deputy High Court judge.
With longstanding expertise in the technology and life sciences sectors, Bristows LLP‘s team, which works across London and Brussels, is regularly drafted in to advise on complex matters at the intersection between IP and competition law. The team is led jointly by the ‘simply excellent‘ Stephen Smith and technology and pharmaceutical sector expert Sophie Lawrance . It is able to offer a full range of advice on everything from strategic transactions, to EU and UK competition investigations and disputes.
- Leading individuals - London > Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Competition litigation - London > Dispute resolution
- EU and competition - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Industry focus > TMT
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Employment > Employers