Ms Sophie Lawrance > Bristows LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Bristows LLP Offices
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
- Go to...
Ms Sophie Lawrance
Competition and EU, Competition litigation
Sophie specialises in EU and UK competition law.
Sophie has a particular interest in working with businesses in the technology and pharmaceutical sectors, and in relation to the competition issues that arise in connection with standardised technology. Her practice spans all competition issues, but has a particular focus on litigation and investigations.
Sophie has significant experience of competition litigation in the UK courts. She has been involved both in pure competition law actions, acting for both claimants and defendants, and in several substantial pieces of patent litigation in which competition defences have been raised. Sophie has market-leading experience of cases involving FRAND licensing obligations, acting for both implementers and patentees. Alongside this, Sophie’s case load to date has included defending applications for interim injunctive relief, handling mixed stand-alone/follow-on damages claims, raising and defending competition issues arising from the seeking of remedies in IP cases and claims arising from IP licences.
Alongside her litigation case-load, Sophie handles competition authority investigations at both EU and national level, including in dawn raid situations. A recent focus has been on CMA investigations into the UK generics sector. Issues on which she has advised in this context include both substantive competition law and procedural issues, such as legal professional privilege, as well as dealing with competition director disqualification cases which are now a focus for the UK competition regulator.
Sophie is a member of the Competition Law Association (CLA) Committee. She regularly contributes feedback on competition policy issues, as well as speaking at conferences and writing on competition law issues in journals and blogs. Sophie is a regular contributor to Bristows’ blog on the competition/IP interface, the CLIP Board.
French and German (both good)
Competition Law Association; Law Society Competition Section
MA French and German, University of Cambridge
MA, MPhil, PhD, University of Cambridge;
Postgraduate Diploma in Competition Law, King’s College, London, 2005;
Bristows LLP’s competition skills in the life sciences and TMT sectors would be difficult to match, with their work including fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND), patent licensing and related contentious issues, among others. The group has carved out a notable reputation for handling complex issues arising at the intersection of IP and competition law; this also involves the management of a specialised blog – The Clip Board. The team is also able to turn to its Brussels-based colleagues for EU law issues. Deputy Judge of the High Court Pat Treacy heads the practice. Stephen Smith and Sophie Lawrance are also key members in the team.
The ‘brilliant‘ competition litigation group at Bristows LLP stands out for its excellent record handling competition law claims that interface with IP issues. The team is routinely instructed by clients active in the technology, life sciences and pharmaceutical sectors. The department is led by Pat Treacy (‘astute tactician in litigation‘), who splits her time between London and Brussels. Clients also laud the expertise of ‘excellent communicator‘ Sophie Lawrance and ‘world-class adviser‘ Stephen Smith.
- Competition litigation - London > Dispute resolution
- EU and competition - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Industry focus > TMT
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax