Dr Mark Watts > Bristows LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Bristows LLP Offices
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
- Go to...
Dr Mark Watts
Commercial IT, Data Protection
Mark is a technology specialist with over 20 years’ experience.
He advises companies on technology issues such as cloud computing, machine learning, apps and facial recognition. Much of Mark’s experience was gained in-house at IBM where he held various roles, including Global Data Privacy Counsel.
Mark has particular expertise in data privacy. He advises multinational companies on implementing General Data Protection Regulation compliant programs, Privacy Shield and Binding Corporate Rules. Mark has been involved in many of the most high profile and highest value data privacy litigation in the world and regularly advises companies in relation to incident response and defending regulatory enforcement actions all over the world.
BSc (Hons) Physics, University of Wales
D.Phil Semiconductor Physics, University of Oxford
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
The ‘technically excellent and very engaging’ team at Bristows LLP provides ‘pragmatic and commercially-focused advice’ to a range of well-known names, including Facebook, Google and WarnerMedia, on data protection matters, including litigation, data breaches and global compliance projects. Mark Watts overseas the team and is recommended for contentious data matters, recently acting for British Airways on a data protection fine filled by the ICO. Multi-jurisdictional information governance and compliance projects is the area of expertise of Christopher Millard while Marc Dautlich has extensive experience in advising on cyber and data breach incidents and the sharing of medical data. At the senior associate level, Jamie Drucker and Hannah Crowther are names to note.
Contentious work is a core strength for the broad technology sector practice at Bristows LLP, with experience in disputes ranging from major FRAND cases to competition issues to media and data protection compliance work, which the firm handles for an impressive base of high-profile household names and multinational corporates. On the non-contentious side, strengths include corporate M&A and venture capital matters, commercial IP work, and strategic and project advice for clients across the technology, media, and telecoms sectors. The offering is anchored by experienced partner Mark Watts, who has particular experience in commercial IP and data protection work. Toby Crick is a key contact for telecoms clients, where Myles Jelf is also recommended for his litigation expertise. Adrian Sim is highly recommended for financial services implementation projects, and Pat Treacy for her experience in EU competition law.
The practice at Bristows LLP rests firmly on its pillars of advertising, brand protection, and film/TV production where it represents clients from these sub-sectors in both contentious and non-contentious matters. Mark Watts leads the team together with Paul Jordan , a renowned expert on issues arising around advertising and brand protection. Their team includes associate Andrew Butcher who looks after clients such as The Guardian News and Media and ITV on marketing matters.
The ‘outstanding’ team at Bristows LLP is notable for providing extensive reputation advisory services to high-profile tech and media clients. Practice head Alex Keenlyside has a wealth of media and data protection litigation experience, regularly acting for the largest players in the tech space including Google and Meta. Specialist Mark Watts leads the firm’s data protection team and handles a range of data and privacy matters for numerous multinational traditional media publishers. Associate Victoria Baron is also recommended for her experience advising on intermediary liability, defamation, misuse of private information, and data protection.
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity - London > Risk advisory
- Hall of Fame - London > Industry focus > TMT
- Hall of Fame - London > Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Media and entertainment (including media finance) - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- TMT - London > Industry focus
- Reputation management - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Industry focus > TMT
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Employment > Employers