James Whittaker > Addleshaw Goddard > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
1 ST PETER'S SQUARE
- Go to...
Partner specialising in outsourcing, technology and sports/media work; in outsourcing he specialises in business process outsourcing, particularly in the retail and financial services sectors. Technology covers procurement and outsourcing of IT and telecoms functions. In sports/media he advises on sponsorship and broadcasting contracts for sports bodies and rights owners. Advertising work includes copy clearance, on pack claims, sales promotions and competitions.
Trained Addleshaw Sons & Latham (now Addleshaw Goddard); qualified 1993; partner 2001.
Law Society of England and Wales; Society for Computers and Law; Licensing Executives Society.
Bolton School; University of Nottingham (1989 LLB Hons).
Family, music, travel, eating out.
Drawing on its network of offices throughout the UK, Addleshaw Goddard‘s dedicated commercial contracts team focuses on highly complex contractual mandates, acting for high-profile clients ranging from start-ups to FTSE 100 companies. The group has notable expertise in the retail, financial services, industrial and digital sectors; key clients include HSBC, Asda Stores and Boohoo Group. Michael Lowry heads up the national practice from Leeds and focuses on technology and outsourcing contracts. Other noteworthy individuals include Manchester-based Jonathan Davey, who is a key contact for retail and consumer clients; Fiona Ghosh in London, who acts for financial services and fintech clients; and James Whittaker in Manchester, who leads the national technology and outsourcing practice. Robert Garwood was promoted to the partnership in mid-2020, David Berry re-joined the firm in mid-2021 from Stephenson Harwood, and managing associate Andrew Carter acts for clients in the transport and financial services sectors.
Addleshaw Goddard has a strong focus on advertising and marketing, with a portfolio of major brands and FTSE-listed clients, acting on a continuous basis for many high-profile companies. The firm has expanded its work within digital advertising, including issues such as content verification and click-through metrics. The team is led by James Whittaker, who advises clients on a broad range of advertising and marketing issues, including large-scale digital marketing campaigns. Director Rebecca Moore has expertise in media buying and creative services agreements, agreements with influencers, and media compliance matters.
Addleshaw Goddard advises on high-value, business critical IT procurement agreements, outsourcing, and digital transformation projects, working with major financial services, retail, and transport sector clients nationally and internationally. The firm also handles public sector procurement and telecoms infrastructure developments. James Whittaker leads the team, and is a specialist on tech outsourcing, with a particular focus on SAP and Oracle software, while Paul Bentham has a strong record on major systems implementations and cloud systems work. Phil McGough handles global licensing arrangements and IT infrastructure agreements, and director Nadine Waters plays a leading role in complex IT and outsourcing projects.
Addleshaw Goddard offers a full service in intellectual property encompassing contentious and non-contentious matters such as brand enforcement, disputes, portfolio management, and the transfer of IP rights in major corporate transactions. Sector strengths include retail, financial services, and the public sector. Practice head Paul Bentham specialises in transactional IP and portfolio management for a number of household name clients, while James Whittaker advises on acquisition, exploitation, and protection of IP rights within the retail and consumer sectors. Director Rebecca Moore advises on non-contentious intellectual property matters including advertising campaigns.
- Intellectual property - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Leading individuals - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Leading individuals - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Media and entertainment - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit