Paul Bentham > Addleshaw Goddard > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
1 ST PETER'S SQUARE
- Go to...
Contentious and commercial.
Partner specialising in intellectual property and technology; particular expertise in information technology contracts including the acquisition of computer systems, the licensing of computer software and outsourcing agreements; also has considerable experience in technology licensing and advising on intellectual property matters in respect of corporate sales and acquisitions and joint ventures. Recent work includes advising clients in relation to major IT projects.
Articled Addleshaw Sons & Latham (now Addleshaw Goddard); trainee 1987; qualified 1989; partner 1995.
Law Society of England and Wales; committee member of Licensing Executives Society North West Group; The Society of Computers and Law, Northern branch.
North Cestrian Grammar; Strasbourg University (1985 Hons Diplome d’Etudes Juridiques Françaises); Leicester University (1986 LLB Hons).
Foreign travel, skiing, supporting Manchester United.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Clients hail Addleshaw Goddard as ‘continuing to lead TMT in the North West’. The team is geared towards providing purchaser-focused advice for both public and private sector clients with particular expertise in telecoms, ICT enabled outsourcing, ERP and cloud computing. Practice head Paul Bentham is ‘probably the best non-contentious IT and outsourcing lawyer in the North West’ while James Whittaker ‘has extremely broad expertise in commercial, IT, outsourcing contracts and advice’. Another key name is Phil McGough, praised for his ‘consistently thorough professional service’; his expertise encompasses system development and implementation, IT infrastructure agreements and global licensing arrangements. The financial services and fast moving consumer goods industries are both core areas of focus for the team.
Addleshaw Goddard is engaged for IP matters across the retail and consumer, financial services, transport, industrials, energy, health and public sectors, among others. The team’s notably broad offering spans all IP disciplines with work including portfolio management, disputes and the full range of non-contentious matters. Practice head Paul Bentham is an expert in brand protection and exploitation in addition to the IP-related considerations of company acquisitions and joint ventures. James Whittaker is a further key name; he tailors his practice towards the acquisition and exploitation of IP rights with specific expertise in licensing, media and sponsorship matters.
- Intellectual property - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Leading individuals - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Project finance and PFI
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition