Hugh Maule > Gowling WLG > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Gowling WLG Offices
4 MORE LONDON RIVERSIDE
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Managing partner of Lawrence Graham 2008-14 and now leading corporate, finance, tax, funds, regulatory and private capital teams at Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co LLP. Hugh specialises in corporate finance (flotations and secondary issues), takeovers, mergers, acquisitions, disposals, private equity, venture and development capital (including investment agreements and joint ventures). Particularly interested in acting for entrepreneurs, small/medium-sized growth companies and medium-sized investment banks/corporate finance houses. Experience includes the healthcare sector (mainly with nursing homes, healthcare staffing and domiciliary care provision), the renewable energy sector (wind and biodiesel), hospitality and leisure (pubs, restaurants and retail) and the technology sector.
Trained Lawrence Graham LLP; qualified 1991; secondment to Credit Suisse as corporate recovery officer 1992-94; partner in charge of trainees Lawrence Graham LLP 2000-06; partnership board 2005-06; head of business and finance 2006; managing partner 2008-2014; group leader, corporate finance, tax, funds, regulatory and private capital 2014; consultant editor ‘Practitioners Guide to the AIM Rules’ (City & Financial); consultant editor ‘World Stock Exchanges’ (Globe Business Publishing); Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co, partner, 2014.
French, German, Spanish (all conversational).
Law Society, The Justinians (Secretary 2013).
Merchiston Castle School; Robinson College, Cambridge (1987 MA); Guildford Law School (1989).
Fitness, keen rugby follower, governor of Merchiston Castle School, Edinburgh.
West Midlands > Public sector > Health
Gowling WLG is especially capable at handling large scale health and social care transactions. The firm has aided clients that have been critical to the COVID-19 response including AstraZeneca, the Office for National Statistics and the Department of Health and Social Care. Robert Breedon advises the DHSC’s Test and Trace Team. Hugh Maule specialises in corporate transactions, private equity and venture capital matters.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Listed funds
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Water
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition: trade, WTO anti-dumping and customs
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Employment > Health and safety
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Mining and minerals
- Real estate > Planning
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- Investment fund formation and management > Real estate funds
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Real estate > Property finance
- Real estate > Social housing: finance
- Industry focus > TMT
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration