Matthew Dando > Wiggin LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wiggin LLP Offices
9TH FLOOR, MET BUILDING
22 PERCY STREET
- Go to...
Matthew is an experienced litigation partner, specialising in contentious commercial matters and publication disputes in the media industry. He advises clients predominantly in the media, tech and sports industries.
On the commercial front, Matthew advises on questions of contractual interpretation and related issues, boardroom fallouts, warranty, shareholder and joint venture disputes and responses to the misuse of confidential information.
In the media and entertainment field, he advises film studios, national and international print media groups and broadcasters on high profile privacy and defamation actions, rights disputes and all other contentious issues arising in the sector.
Matthew’s practice encompasses cross-border litigation, arbitration and other less formal dispute resolution mechanisms including advice on dispute avoidance: stress testing potentially difficult scenarios, helping clients gain early leverage in commercial matters and to best protect themselves from the risks of publication in the media space.
Matthew trained at RPC and was an associate/senior associate there before moving to Wiggin. Matthew also has in-house experience, having spent time on secondment with a major brand management and retail group.
Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
MA (Hons) (English law with French law), Jesus College, Oxford; LLM (with distinction), University of Edinburgh; Diploma in French law, University of Paris II (Panthéon-Assas); Postgraduate diploma in legal practice (with distinction), UWE.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
As a defendant-based practice, Wiggin LLP‘s reputation management and content protection team acts for many of the leading publishers in the UK, as well as film and TV companies in the US. Matthew Dando leads the team with particular experience handling publication disputes in the media industry, as well as libel and privacy litigation. Caroline Kean regularly undertakes complex cross-jurisdictional media matters. Senior associate Adelaide Scardino Lopez is experienced in breach of confidence claims, as well as cases relating to defamation, privacy, data protection and copyright. Senior associate Elizabeth Wiggin advises clients on pre-action issues, as well as appearing before courts.
Wiggin LLP‘s publishing practice is well-placed to guide journalists and content creators through each stage of the publication process, from the conception of a story to defending it in high-profile litigation. In addition, thanks to the firm’s broader commercial and IP capabilities, the team can provide digital expertise to publishers transitioning to alternative forms of content, including podcasts, film and television, social media and e-commerce platforms. Recommended individuals include experienced litigators Matthew Dando, drawing on his depth of experience with commercial and contractual disputes, and Robin Shaw, who joined from Ince & Co in June 2022, and head of the firm’s renowned defamation and litigation practices Caroline Kean.
‘A great mid-market firm‘, Wiggin LLP fields go-to commercial litigators for the media, technology, sports, and betting and gaming industries. Matthew Dando specialises in contentious commercial matters and publication disputes in the media sector; the ‘very astute‘ litigator Mark Deem is a September 2022 partner recruit from Mishcon de Reya LLP; and consultant partner Caroline Kean is a media disputes specialist. Former partner Alan Owens departed the firm in late 2022.
- Media: Theatre, publishing and other media London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Next Generation Partners London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Reputation management London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Commercial litigation: mid-market London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Film & TV
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Media finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Theatre, publishing and other media
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Video games
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Music
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Advertising & marketing
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital