Ross Sylvester > Wiggin LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wiggin LLP Offices
9TH FLOOR, MET BUILDING
22 PERCY STREET
- Go to...
Content distribution and transmission.
Ross is a partner in the content distribution and transmission group and head of the firm’s sport group. He acts for a number of leading broadcasters, distribution platforms and blue chip media businesses; providing advice in relation to the distribution of channels and programming via traditional broadcast means such as satellite, cable and DTT and the exploitation of content across more nascent internet and mobile platforms. Ross has also developed a particular specialism in relation to the creation, acquisition and exploitation of sports media and data rights. In addition, he advises on the end-to-end chain of transmission, negotiating arrangements with the technical service providers who provide the processes, infrastructure and delivery systems for the distribution of channels and content as well as with the sales houses and media agencies who sell the advertising around this content.
Trained Wiggin LLP; qualified 2004; trainee Wiggin LLP 2002-04, solicitor 2004-12, senior associate 2012-14, partner 2014 to date.
Birkdale School, Sheffield; University of Manchester (2003 LLB Law 2(1)); Institute of Legal Practice, Bristol (2004 LPC); University of Bristol (2007 Post-graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law).
Club sport (cricket and rugby), outdoor pursuits and endurance events (marathons, ultra-marathons, cycling events).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Wiggin LLP advises organisations, rights holders, broadcasters and platform aggregators on the acquistion and exploitation of audio-visual, data and media rights. The practice also deals with sponsorship arrangements, image rights deals and brand activations in the sports sector. Practice head Ross Sylvester specialises in commercial sports rights acquisition and exploitation across all consumer platforms and distribution models. Sarah MacDonald leads on sponsorship, advertising and marketing matters, while senior associate Sarah Drake works closely with media businesses in developing their sports content portfolios and consumer offerings.
- Leading individuals - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Sport - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market