Richard Eaton > Birketts LLP > Ipswich, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
141-145 Princes Street
- Go to...
Environment, Health, Planning, Property Litigation
Richard joined Birketts in 2004. He is a Partner and Head of our Property Litigation teams in Ipswich and Chelmsford.
Richard has a broad range of experience in property, planning and public law. A litigation specialist, he has extensive advocacy experience having gained his rights of audience for all higher courts in 2002. He is one of only a handful of solicitors to have appeared in the House of Lords.
His property background covers all aspects of real property and landlord and tenant work. To this, Richard brings planning, public and regulatory law experience. Richard has appeared before numerous courts and tribunals, including at planning inquiries, leasehold valuation tribunals, licensing committees, magistrates and the High Court.
Richard is a member of the Property Litigation Association and United Kingdom Environmental Law Association. Between 2006 and January 2010, Richard sat on the board of Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust as a Non Executive Director.
At Birketts LLP, ‘the environmental practice is diligent, professional, courteous and friendly, taking the time to truly understand the needs of clients‘. The firm advises both private and public sector clients, among them national and regional housebuilders, local authorities and strategic developers on planning and environmental law. Its work includes large-scale strategic development projects of up to 10,000 new homes in Cambridge, Cirencester, Bury St Edmunds, Kings Lynn, Grantham and more. Tom Newcombe in Cambridge and, in Ipswich, Deborah Sharples and Richard Eaton are the lead partners. Sharples is vastly experienced in environmental law and ‘has a perceptive appreciation of the wider picture and she is a powerful advocate in negotiations and hearings‘. Legal director Nicola Doole and senior associate Chloe Glason, both based in in Ipswich, are highly recommended by clients for planning matters.
‘There is no better firm in East Anglia for property litigation‘, remarks a client of Birketts LLP, adding that it is ‘rare in providing a level of genuine specialist expertise which is usually only found in big commercial centres‘. Practice head Richard Eaton and key partner James Robinson , both based in Ipswich, and ‘determined litigator‘ John Scannell in Norwich are highly regarded practitioners. Their work encompasses telecom-related litigation, strategic land disputes, rights of light, leasehold enfranchisement, and town and village green matters. Senior associates Alice Harris and Laura Tanguay in Ipswich also play key roles in possession, cohabitee and TOLATA matters. Norwich-based senior associate and barrister Simon Woodhead focuses on surplus property matters.
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Real estate > Property litigation
- Planning and environment - East Anglia > Real estate
- Property litigation - East Anglia > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping