Juliet Schalker > Debenhams Ottaway > St Albans, England > Lawyer Profile
Debenhams Ottaway Offices
107 ST PETERS STREET
- Go to...
Juliet leads the litigation team. With her City expertise and contacts, Juliet brings a high level of client focus and service capability to our excellent dispute resolution practice. Juliet’s practice comprises a broad spectrum of commercial disputes, but she has particular expertise in insolvency, banking litigation, private equity and professional negligence claims. Juliet regularly handles high value litigation in specialist divisions of the High Court, often being instructed to act against or alongside major UK or international firms and has been involved, acting for the claimant, in a number of high profile cases in both the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
Juliet’s focus is on insolvency litigation, private equity and the alternative lending markets, as well as shareholder and boardroom disputes. Juliet also has extensive experience in acting for lenders and insolvency practitioners on high profile professional negligence cases.
Juliet sits on the committee of the IWIRC London Network, which is the premier networking organisation for women in the practice of insolvency and restructuring, as well as regularly being asked to speak at R3 conferences (the trade association for the entire community of the UK’s insolvency and restructuring professionals).
Juliet qualified in South Africa as an Attorney of the High Court in 2008. After immigrating to the UK in 2009, Juliet joined City firm Rosling King, where she cross-qualified as a solicitor of England and Wales in 2011. In 2012, Juliet was made partner at Rosling King, where she continued to practice until 2017. In 2017, Juliet joined Debenhams Ottaway as a partner in the litigation team and in May 2020 Juliet was promoted to head of the litigation team.
Juliet is an active member and sits on the committee of the IWIRC London Network. Juliet is also a member of R3 and is regularly asked to speak at their conferences. Juliet is also a member of the LSLA and 100 Women in Finance.
Rhodes University, South Africa, BA LLB (First)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The St Albans team at Debenhams Ottaway advises clients on boardroom and contractual disputes, company dissolutions, professional negligence, and debt recovery and issues relationg to personal guarantees. Disputes head Juliet Schalker, who ‘brings City expertise’, focuses on shareholder and boardroom disputes, insolvency litigation, private equity and alternative lending markets. Mairead McErlean has experience in representing clients in disputes, from high-net-worth individuals to international organisations. Former practice head Luke Harrison departed in April 2020 to co-found Keidan Harrison.
- Leading individuals - South East > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx - South East > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Family: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Employment > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate