James Foster > Shoosmiths LLP > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
New Station Street
- Go to...
James heads our northern private equity and venture capital practice groups and is nationally recognised for his private equity expertise.
James specialises in corporate finance, with particular emphasis on M&A, private equity and growth capital transactions, including acquisitions and divestments, venture capital, growth equity, private equity investments and joint ventures. He is recognised by clients for his hands-on and responsive approach, technical skills and commercial pragmatism.
Key clients include August Equity, BGF, Capiton AG, Lloyds Development Capital (LDC), Maven Capital Partners, Moorfield Group, WM Morrison Supermarkets plc, YFM Equity Partners and Yorkshire Wildlife Group.
Recent experience includes:
- • acting for August Equity on its divestment of the Aspirations Group to Elysian Capital, by way of secondary buy-out;
- • advising LDC on its sale and subsequent co-investment with Francisco Partners in ByBox;
- • acting for YFM Equity Partners in respect of their recent investment alongside Comhar Capital in Panintelligence;
- • advising WM Morrison Supermarkets plc on the acquisition of three superstores from the Co-operative Group; and
- • advising Yorkshire Wildlife Group on its debt and equity raise from Lloyds Bank plc and BGF.
Yorkshire and the Humber > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
Shoosmiths LLP has a ‘superb‘ track record acting on mid-market regional private equity mandates and securing an impressive roster of global corporate clients. Practice head James Foster retains his expertise in large private equity deals and oversees the team, which comprises new partner Simon Procter, who handles complex transactional work and has a number international private equity houses as key clients. The group has expertise in both public and private M&A and corporate finance work, with senior associate Natalie Hager focusing on transactions across various sectors, including the food and drink industry. The team has grown its capacity with two new hires; Anna Jackson-Smith and Jessica Wetherop joined from Ward Hadaway and Jones Day respectively. Former practice head Philip Goldsborough departed to Knights plc.
- Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire - Yorkshire and the Humber > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure and energy
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Family: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire