Matt McCahearty > Macfarlanes LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Macfarlanes LLP Offices
20 CURSITOR STREET
- Go to...
Litigation and dispute resolution
Matt’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration, white collar defence, regulatory enforcement and internal investigations.
Matt leads the litigation and dispute resolution group.
He regularly advises global corporations and financial institutions in relation to some of their most significant and sensitive international disputes, investigations and enforcement matters, working frequently with leading independent firms around the world to provide a comprehensive international strategy.
Matt has particular familiarity with litigation, arbitration and regulatory enforcement matters in the US having been seconded to a leading New York law firm and worked extensively on transatlantic cases.
Matt is a member of the firm’s International Committee, the International Bar Association’s Litigation Committee and regularly speaks at international conferences. He is also a Solicitor-Advocate.
Qualified 2003; partner 2011
Matt is a member of the International Bar Association’s Litigation Committee. He is also a Solicitor-Advocate.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Macfarlanes LLP is geared to handle a broad variety of regulatory dispute, enforcement action and investigation proceedings. Dan Lavender is well-versed in matters with a multi-jurisdictional element, having handled affairs throughout Europe, the US and Middle East; he co-heads the team alongside Matt McCahearty whose track record spans LIBOR, foreign exchange and anti-money laundering cases. At senior counsel-level, Aalia Datoo is forging a prominent reputation for bribery, corruption, market abuse, fraud and international sanction compliance matters.
With a team that includes ‘some of the most experienced and highly regarded practitioners in the area’, Macfarlanes LLP acts for a client base that includes banks, investment funds, broker-dealers and sovereign states across the full range of banking disputes. Barry Donnelly is ‘exceptionally experienced and talented’ and is currently engaged in a number of transatlantic disputes, while Matt McCahearty is ‘one of the leaders in the field’ and handles both commercial litigation and regulatory investigations. Dan Lavender is also skilled at advising on regulatory and commercial disputes, and is regularly instructed on cross-jurisdictional cases. All named partners jointly lead the team.
Macfarlanes LLP‘s ‘genuinely premium‘ department leverages the dual strength of its private client and corporate practices to skillfully represent entrepreneurs, senior executives, shareholders, family offices and corporate entities connected to them. Practice head Matt McCahearty is described by one client as being ‘good at managing large teams in the most complex commercial litigation‘. The group also fields ‘legendary figure‘ Iain Mackie and ‘superstar‘ Lois Horne . Newly made up Christopher Charlton is ‘everything you would want in a partner‘.
- Leading individuals - London > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Leading individuals - London > Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Financial services: contentious - London > Corporate and commercial
- Banking litigation: investment and retail - London > Dispute resolution
- Commercial litigation: premium - London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Investment fund formation and management > Retail funds
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Investment fund formation and management > Fund finance
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Finance > Derivatives and structured products
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Investment fund formation and management > Hedge funds
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Real estate > Property finance
- Investment fund formation and management > Real estate funds
- Real estate > Residential property
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Finance > Securitisation
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Employment > Immigration
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)