Ian Christian > Irwin Mitchell > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
40 HOLBORN VIADUCT
- Go to...
Has specialised in clinical negligence litigation since qualification. Divides his caseload between birth injury cases and general clinical negligence. Has conducted a range of cases through the litigation system, including cerebral and Erb’s palsy injuries, missed diagnosis of cancer and neuro surgical negligence (particular interest in cauda equina cases). Regularly represents families at inquests and with the consequent Fatal Accident Act claims. Has conducted a number of high-profile cases including Batt v Highgate Hospital and Begum v King’s College Hospital NHS Trust. He was also involved in R v Coroner for Inner London North Ex Parte Touche and represented two families whose cases were considered in the Health Care Commission’s 2006 report into maternal deaths at Northwick Park Hospital. Ian is currently representing nine patients who developed endocarditis following cardiac surgery at the Trent Cardiac Centre. Contributing author to the APIL ‘Clinical Negligence Guide’; ‘Clinical Risk’ ‘Patient Safety: How can the legal profession help?’. Regular lecturer to legal and medical audiences.
Trained Alexander Harris, qualified 2001; Irwin Mitchell 2003; associate 2006; partner 2009.
Law Society Clinical Negligence panel member. Senior Litigator with APIL and an active member of AvMA.
St Mary’s College Crosby; Nottingham Law School (1998 LLB Hons 2:1).
Everton Football Club, golf, travel.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Court of protection
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Insurance > Product liability: claimant
- Transport > Travel
- Public sector > Civil liberties and human rights
- Employment > Employees/unions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Costs lawyers
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Senior executives
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Employment > Employers