Simon Baigent > Freeths LLP > Leicester, England > Lawyer Profile
Freeths LLP Offices
ONE COLTON SQUARE
- Go to...
Insolvency and corporate recovery.
Partner specialising in all aspects of corporate recovery and insolvency work. Particular emphasis on turnaround/distressed M&A work and investigatory work. Clients include insolvency practitioners, banks, asset-based lenders, factors and other financial institutions. He also works alongside directors and accountancy practices to provide practical and commercial solutions to implement the most appropriate recovery/restructuring strategies.
Trained at Barradales, qualifying in 1993. Joined Freeths LLP in 1996. Partner 2001.
Association of Business Recovery Professionals (member of the Midlands R3 Committee), Turnaround Management Association.
Leicester Grammar School; De Montfort University; College of Law, Chester.
Self confessed sport and fitness fanatic. After playing Rugby for many years he is now a keen triathlete. He has completed Ironman Switzerland (2008) and Ironman Barcelona; supports Leicester Tigers RFC.
Freeths LLP‘s ‘responsive and pragmatic’ team, which is based in Nottingham and Leicester, handles property disputes involving breaches of lease covenants, adverse possession, forfeiture and professional indemnity, among other areas. In Nottingham, Paul Tomkins‘ broad expertise includes service charges disputes, contested lease renewals and dilapidation claims. Simon Baigent, who is based in Leicester, represents real estate clients in various disputes. He also advises insolvent businesses and insolvency practitioners on their property portfolios. Edward Pickard is another key member of the team in Nottingham.
Freeths LLP‘s Leicester-based team specialises in advising insolvency practitioners on nil-asset cases, which involve establishing if assets have gone missing and steps to recover them. On the non-contentious side, the group advises companies on reorganising and restructuring procedures, including asset disposal. Simon Baigent focuses on turnaround, distressed M&A and complex investigatory work. Charles Darby specialises in asset avoidance cases. Graham Greenfield, who is based in Nottingham, has a wealth of experience handling corporate and personal insolvencies.
Freeths LLP ‘s ‘extremely capable and proactive’ Leicester practice acts for international and domestic companies in numerous breach of contract disputes, in addition to insurance, professional negligence, construction and property claims (to name just a few of the firm’s mainstays). Mukesh Patel is particularly well-known for his expertise in disputes in the energy sector. Among his recent highlights, he represented claimant Flogas Britain in various high-value cases involving injunctions, contempt of court actions and challenges to government procurement decisions. Simon Baigent specialises in restructuring and insolvency, as well as property litigation. Emma Anderson is an expert in commercial disputes. Senior associate Richard Fitzmaurice is another notable individual.
- Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the East Midlands - East Midlands > Dispute resolution
- Property litigation - East Midlands > Real estate
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - East Midlands > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Real estate > Commercial property: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment