Duncan Bagshaw > Howard Kennedy LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Howard Kennedy LLP Offices
NO.1 LONDON BRIDGE
- Go to...
Commercial Dispute Resolution
Duncan Bagshaw specialises in international arbitration and litigation, with particular focus on the energy sector and Africa-related disputes. He often advises on issues arising from joint ventures and commercial contracts.
Duncan is a highly experienced lawyer who advises on large international disputes in arbitration and litigation proceedings. He acts for clients on matters relating to the upstream oil and gas industry, electricity generation and supply, and renewable energy projects.
He also has particular experience dealing with disputes arising from joint ventures in the property development, hospitality and tourism industries.
Duncan handles cases from all over the world, and has particular experience in Africa, having lived and worked in the region and handled many disputes arising from African projects. He has worked on many cases involving African law and African seats of arbitration, and where there are simultaneous proceedings in multiple jurisdictions.
He acts for clients in arbitration tribunals under the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), DIFC-LCIA and other rules, and before all courts of England and Wales, including the Supreme Court.
Duncan believes in a creative and aggressive strategy, whilst maintaining a strong cost-benefit awareness. He is a barrister and often acts as advocate in hearings, as well as, providing wider strategic advice to ensure the commercially favourable resolution of disputes.
With ‘all the skill of a Magic Circle firm‘, Howard Kennedy LLP‘s commercial litigation practice covers contractual disputes, misrepresentation, warranty claims, shareholder and partnership disputes, M&A conflicts, joint venture-related contentious issues, and corporate governance issues. Commercial dispute resolution head Dominic Offord specialises in contractual disputes, cross-border fraud matters and contentious insolvency; Joel Leigh is an expert in complex professional negligence and civil fraud claims; and Duncan Bagshaw has niche expertise in Africa-related energy disputes. India group chair Arish Bharucha joined as partner from Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP during 2021, while Ayesha Salim and James Wingfield are experienced legal directors.
With its primary international markets being India, the Middle East and Africa, Howard Kennedy LLP‘s ‘absolutely excellent‘ international arbitration team handles international cases that frequently involve states or state-owned parties; and its sector focus covers energy, commodities, IT, technology, and hotels and leisure. The recent track record of practice head Duncan Bagshaw includes major cases involving groundbreaking international arbitration law issues. In May 2022, Arish Bharucha was hired as partner and India group chair from Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP.
- Commercial litigation: mid-market - London > Dispute resolution
- International arbitration - London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Public sector > Civil liberties and human rights
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Private prosecutions
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Residential property
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Planning
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Property finance
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport