Christopher Hutchings > Hamlins LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Hamlins LLP Offices
- Go to...
Media and Entertainment/Reputation Management.
Chris is a Partner and the Head of Hamlins’ Media and Reputation Management group.
Chris’ main areas of practice are defamation, privacy and confidentiality. He is also a recognised expert on social media and online content, and provides pre-publication advice to publishers on a range of media-related legal issues. Recent case highlights include successfully acting for the claimant in Sloutsker v Romanova, obtaining libel damages of £110,000, being one of the highest awards of recent years. He also acted for one of the representative claimants in the first phone-hacking civil trial against Mirror Group Newspapers in 2015. Chris’ team are now Lead Solicitors in the current round of phonehacking claims against News Group Newspapers. Clients include Eddie Jordan, Jim Moir (Vic Reeves) and various corporate clients.
Trained Carter-Ruck (1990-2000), made associate and then partner; founded media team at Charles Russell 2000-03; co-founded Mlaw 2003-10; partner Hamlins LLP 2010 to date.
Southampton University (BSc 2(1)); College of Law (LLB).
Art, gardens and music.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Providing ‘clear, concise’ advice on privacy and libel rights claims, Hamlins LLP represents a range of claimants, from musicians and actors/actresses to prominent politicians and public figures. Led by Christopher Hutchings, the team has considerable expertise in pre-publication review and takedowns relating to ‘fly-on-the-wall’ documentaries, an area in which newly promoted partner, Alex Cochrane, is strong. The team is also noted for its involvement in the phone-hacking litigation, where media expert Callum Galbraith acted as lead solicitor against News Group Newspapers.
Hamlins LLP has a strong profile in the music sector, where it acts for clients such as UK music collecting societies, musicians and music publishers. It is notably strong in contentious matters, including those concerning the monopoly of the music merchandising sector; Martin Ochs is a noted expert in this space. Also recommended is Callum Galbraith, whose work covers management disputes, band name disputes and royalty audit claims, among other matters. Head of media Christopher Hutchings is mainly known for his defamation and privacy work, but also advises clients on commercial issues and image rights. Simon Gallant has experience of advising clients on IP, litigation and data protection matters.
- Leading individuals - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Media and entertainment (including media finance) - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Reputation management - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Real estate > Property finance