BDO Law is well-versed in undertaking both advisory work and contentious mandates, with the added advantage of being tied to a major consultancy. The team is led by Vita Liberte and Janis Zelmenis, with Liberte having experience of assisting with corporate income tax, VAT and property tax issues, while Zelmenis has advised on transfer pricing and tax residence mandates. Senior associate Jeļena Bārtule now works in-house.
Tax in Latvia
‘Very professional, very helpful and on time.’
‘They ask clear questions and know how to describe tasks and next steps. Definitely experienced and well trained.’
Cobalt‘s team has broad expertise in tax litigation, regulatory compliance and the tax aspects of corporate transactions. Practice head Sandija Novicka is particularly experienced in tax planning and litigation. She is supported by specialist counsel Sabīne Vuškāne, who also places tax litigation as a primary area of focus, as well as compliance and tax structuring.
Other key lawyers:
‘COBALT’s specialists are remarkably organized, business-oriented and ready to explain and discuss solutions and processes to the smallest details. That reduces the managerial and communication effort required from our side.’
‘Partner Sandija Novicka combines both excellent legal and tax skills and a high level of business thinking. Easily reachable and responsive.’
‘Cobalt can cover questions related to cross-border deals and help to create not only best deal structures, but also always overview tax consequences of the deal, thus providing to the client complete all-in-one consulting.’
‘Cobalt has broad experience of business practices in different industries and can advise on a very wide range of questions. The team is very much client and service-oriented and precise and accurate with deadlines, keeps promises and we can rely on their work and advice.’
‘The team is full of knowledgeable lawyers, each specializing in a different field. Whenever we have a question, it is always forwarded to the best person and we receive full information and assistance.’
‘They are very careful towards clients’ needs and pay extraordinary attention to details. No doubts about their competence, they are very efficient and dedicated.’
Corum Asset Management
Olympic Entertainment Group AS
- Represented Lielzeltiņi SIA in a dispute with the State Revenue Service concerning the decision of the State Revenue Service that the company is not entitled to deduct input tax.
- Representing the Finance Latvia Association in the Ministry of Finance regarding direct and indirect tax aspects related to drafting of Covered Bond Law in Latvia.
Ellex is notably strong in advising on the tax aspects of major corporate transactions and financings, particularly within a cross-border context. The team is also very active in assisting multinational companies with general tax advisory issues. Zinta Jansons leads the team and is highly skilled in tax structuring. She is supported by associate Eduards Dzintars who has 'proven to be a great and trustworthy tax consultant'.
Other key lawyers:
‘While working on cross-border transactions and/or transactions that require in-depth knowledge of various tax matters, Ellex’s tax practice showed great dedication to resolving complex tasks.’
‘Associate Eduards Dzintars has proven to be a great and trustworthy tax consultant who is able to advise on various tax-related matters. The ability to adapt to ongoing changes during the various stages of a transaction, quick and reliable answers as well as the ability to accommodate urgent requests is greatly appreciated.’
‘Very knowledgeable individuals who are willing and have the drive to collaborate and investigate the legislation with other partners from different jurisdictions.’
‘I appreciate that the team our company works with is very accessible (even for calls late evenings or over weekends) and is willing to work with and solve very unique topics where are no precedents in our country. I appreciate working with Eduards Dzintars and Zinta Jansons.’
‘They are very good from a technical point of view and always provide with fast responses.’
‘Eduard Dzintars is, in my view, an exceptional tax advisor, very smart and with vast knowledge. He is very quick and practical and we are very happy with the service he is providing.’
‘The whole team was very responsive also on extremely short notice. The advice we received was always on the point, hands-on and gave us clear guidance.’
- Advising Printful on becoming Latvia’s first unicorn after a $130 million investment, that resulted into valuation of more than $1 billion.
- Advised Danske Bank on sale of corporate loan portfolio to Luminor.
- Advice on acquisition and financing of BTA Baltic Insurance Company acquisition of a large residential portfolio in Riga from real estate private equity company Rentejas.
Sorainen covers the spectrum of tax advisory services and is notably strong in assisting with transfer pricing and tax due diligence. Jānis Taukačs leads the team and formerly worked for one of the Big Four tax consultancies. The team also draws upon counsel Aija Lasmane, who focuses on the tax aspects of corporate transactions, as well as senior associates Dace Everte (who specialises in indirect tax) and Alisa Leškoviča (who is highly experienced in customs and taxation issues). Nauris Grigals was a new arrival in early 2022 adding further strength on the corporate side of tax matters.
Vista Equity Partners
Vienna Insurance Group
Latvijas Jūras administrācija
- Prepared transfer pricing documentation for Byko-Lat.
- Assisted LIKTA with a dispute against the tax authorities, concerning the client’s rights to deduct input VAT.
- Representing LatRosTrans in a dispute with State Land Service (SLS) and 16 municipalities on correct calculation of the tax base for real estate tax (RET), and reimbursement of the overpaid RET.
TGS Baltic is highly skilled in tax due diligence and structuring of corporate transactions, with additional expertise in customs and trade, transfer pricing and VAT issues. The team is also skilled in private equity and venture capital fund structuring, alongside advising on the tax aspects of property transactions. The team is led by corporate partners Andra Rubene and certified tax adviser Rūdolfs Vilsons, who is praised as ‘a brilliant tax structuring specialist’. Nauris Grigals left the firm in early 2022.
‘We have trusted TGS Baltic to resolve our clients’ tax affairs on several occasions and would be pleased to recommend the firm again. The team of lawyers is highly professional, gives clear advice and is able to quickly resolve both unusual and standard situations.’
‘Rudolfs Vilsons is a brilliant tax structuring specialist.’
AB “Ignitis grupė”
SIA Saules Aptieka
Sberbank Investments – Ultramar
Inchcape Motors Latvia SIA
Skinest Rail / SIA Eska Trading
Graanul Invest Group
Gunvor Group / Gunvor SA
Intrum Global Technologies Group
Boehringer Ingelheim RCV GmbH & Co KG Latvijas filiāle
- Represented SIA “GLD Company” in a real estate sale transaction in Mārupe.
- Provided legal support to the joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners with respect to the initial public offering (IPO) of 20,000,000 shares of AB “Ignitis grupė”.
- Assisted SIA Saules Aptieka with arranging one of the first shipments of surgical face masks from the People’s Republic of China for hospitals, doctors, and health professionals in Latvia.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns’s experienced tax team is adept at covering a range of issues, including transactions, structuring, corporate income tax, indirect tax and personal income tax. Senior associate Anete Marhele leads the team, which includes senior partner Māris Vainovskis, and Ilze Kramiņa, who is a key name for administrative tax disputes.
Nordic Recycling, LLC
Finance Latvia Association
- Advised Nordic Recycling on issues arising from an administrative dispute with the State Environmental Service (SES) and a subsequently imposed penalty.
- Development of a proposal for Finance Latvia Association on the legal and tax framework to be included in the laws and regulations for commercial activity of students’ companies in Latvia.
- Represented LatRosTrans in a dispute regarding the VAT and excise tax paid by LatRosTrans for the excess loss of goods and (presumably) stolen amounts of petroleum products.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Cukste Levin focuses on tax structuring, tax compliance, corporate income tax and tax litigation. Contentious matters are a particular strength of practice head Vineta Čukste–Jurjeva, who has recently acted on cases concerning corporate income tax reliefs on donations, as well as the application of VAT on the export of goods to other EU countries.
‘All tax issues resolved efficiently.’
Moller Auto Baltic
Aspect Custom Wear
Estate Guru OÜ
Kingsblue Publishing Limited
Tenax and its subsidiaries
Walless law firm of Lithuania
- Advised Moller Auto Baltic on the tax application in cross border restructuring.
- Advised EstateGuru on VAT issues in relation to the auction of properties.
- Advising SIA AVESCO on tax planning for equipment rental business and on sale of business.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
WALLESS (former Primus Derling) advises on tax disputes and the tax aspects of corporate transactions, as well as assisting with day-to-day issues. Recent mandates involved matters concerning corporate income tax, excise tax regulations and VAT. Inguna Abele, a certified tax consultant who formerly worked for one of the Big Four, leads the practice.
‘All tax issues resolved efficiently.’
Luminor Bank AS
Orlen Latvija SIA
Skonto Group SIA
Modus Group companies Baltijas Sporta Auto SIA
AJ Power Group
BTA Baltic Insurance Company AAS
DEPO DIY SIA
Regula Baltija SIA
Uctam Baltics SIA
Graanul Invest AS
Pipelife Latvia SIA
LSEZ Dan Store SIA
Plieņciema centrs SIA
Santa Monica Networks
Novira Capital OU
Nuvalo Latvia SIA
SIA “ANNIŅMUIŽAS IELA”
SIA “Vilomix Baltic”
- Advised a consortium of BNP Paribas, J.P. Morgan and Luminor Bank on the tax aspects of a major Eurobond offering.
- Assisted Orlen Latvija with respect to two separate and successful projects regarding amendments in excise tax regulation.
- Advised TAV Airport on various tax issues and obtaining excise tax licenses.
ZAB Deloitte Legal
ZAB Deloitte Legal regularly assists clients with administrative cases before the State Revenue Service, with additional strengths in advising on restructurings and general tax compliance. Māris Liguts leads the team, which acts for domestic and international clients. The firm also benefits from its association with a Big Four tax consultancy.
‘Quick response time and price per value.’
‘Deloitte Legal in collaboration with Deloitte Tax team advised us on tax matters regarding our restructuring and helped us with the communication with State Revenue Service. Process was very fast and response time to our questions was pretty quick.’
Valeo Autoklimatizace k.s.
SIA “X Infotech”
- Advised Sabiedrība Mārupe on distribution of dividends and assisted with communication with State Revenue Service.
- Advised SIA “BALTĀ BURA”’ on an administrative case against the State Revenue Service on VAT issues.
- Advised Valeo Autoklimatizace k.s. on an administrative case against the State Revenue Service on the VAT issues and interpretation of certain VAT norms related to inter-EU movement of goods and applicability of VAT.
Magnusson is equipped to handle a range of tax issues, including VAT and corporate income tax, as well as tax controversies at court level and pre-emptive auditing matters. Managing partner Matīss Rostoks leads the team and regularly defends clients before the State Revenue Service. Senior associate Artūrs Ševčuks, who recently joined from Deloitte Legal in Latvia, is another key name.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team did what I wanted them to do within the sector of tax – were very precise, transparent, understanding and quick to react.’
‘Managing partner M. Rostoks has a great reputation in tax matters and I was happy to see him live up to that reputation. I was also impressed with the newer voices and perspectives in the team.’