A specialist tax firm, BDO Law offers a tailored service, drawing on its corporate financing, accounting and auditing strengths to deliver holistic advice on complex work. Vita Liberte is an expert on corporate income tax and VAT, while Janis Zelmenis is a transfer pricising specialist; the duo co-lead the team alongside a new addition to the firm, Dainis Vodolagins, who formerly worked in his own consultancy practice and previously served as a lecturer on international tax law at Riga University. The team has particular expertise in taxation matters for clients in the tech, fintech and IT sectors.
Tax in Latvia
Vita Liberte; Jānis Zelmenis; Dainis Vodolagins
Cobalt has a highly specialised tax practice recommended for finding ‘tailor-made solutions‘ for its domestic and multinational clients. Practice head Sandija Novicka is recommended for her tax advisory work and is among the most respected tax lawyers in the market, having been called upon as a consultant before the Latvian Constitutional Court. Specialist Counsel Sabīne Vuškāne is another key name, focussing on tax litigation as well as compliance and structuring work. Senior Associate Elīna Ločmele is a further tax specialist and a rising star of the firm with a strong transactional and disputes record.
Other key lawyers:
Elīna Ločmele; Sabīne Vuškāne
‘They really dig into the specifics of the client’s business and do find a tailor-made solution. Intelligent, both intellectually and emotionally, resourceful, friendly and attentive. The team supplements each other perfectly. Billing is honest, estimates are reliable, value for every single euro you spend.’
‘What makes them really different from their competitors is the attitude towards other team members and clients. Genuine respect and growth-fostering environment. They share know-how with the client freely, so to enable counterparts to understand the advice in detail. No arrogance, no eyebrow raising. Special mention to Ms. Sandija Novicka – outstanding cooperation every single time.’
‘Their business attitude towards clients is constructive.’
Corum Asset Management
- Advised IBM on the tax aspects of restructuring for the separation of Kyndryl regarding Baltic jurisdictions.
- Daily advice to Roche on various tax issues related to its employee incentive activities in Latvia.
- Representation of Civinity Solutions SIA in a dispute with the State Revenue Service in connection with VAT, CIT and transfer pricing.
Sorainen chiefly advises on the tax aspects of major transactions, though also provides a range of tax advisory services, including transfer pricing assistance, support for high net worth individuals and representation in tax litigation. The team is led by Jānis Taukačs, who has first-hand industry experience working in tax consultancy. Further key names include corporate side tax specialist, Nauris Grigals, and counsel Aija Lasmane, a customs expert. Senior associate Dace Everte is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Aija Lasmane; Dace Everte; Nauris Grigals
Bolt Operations OU
Deutsche Telecom Latvian branch
Enterpreneurs for Peace Funds
Brabantia Latvia SIA
Titanium Rahastoyhtiö Oy
The joint lead managers Citigroup, Luminor Bank, Nordea and UniCredit
Airbus Flight Hour Services Limited
Baltic Wood Trade
- Advised Veho on the tax aspects of the acquisition of Domenikss, Mercedes-Benz general representative in Latvia.
- Advised Citadele banka on taxation matters related to issuing 200 EUR million in senior unsecured bonds.
- Advised Indexo IPAS on development and implementation of share option plan for the management and the employees of the company.
The Ellex tax practice provides ongoing tax advice to multinational clients operating in Latvia, supporting the firm’s employment, M&A, real estate and corporate work. Associate and senior tax consultant Eduards Dzintars, experienced in M&A tax structuring and assistance for high net worth individuals, leads the team.
‘Given that we’ve cooperated for several years already, Ellex Klavins has a head start if compared to other advisors as they are well aware of our business and how it works. Moreover, they have helped us with various tax-related questions in the past, so a short intro on the subject matter/issue is enough to get the ball rolling on their end.’
‘With the experts at Ellex Klavins knowing our business, internal procedures and other related matters, they can offer the best advice, at the same time keeping the rates affordable.’
‘Eduards Dzintars is a great tax professional giving great advice when and where necessary. We really value the advice that Eduards gives as he’s very knowledgeable of our company and the in’s and out’s of our business.’
- Advised Printful in relation to various ongoing tax matters.
- Advised L’Oréal Group on implementation of employee share option program.
- Advised Orkla Eiendom on sale of real estate and various VAT, CIT and withholding tax aspects.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns
The Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns tax team is led by specialist counsel, Anete Marhele, who specialises in transactional tax matters in the areas of capital assets and real estate, as well as in the taxation aspects of cross border employment. Partners Māris Vainovskis and Ilze Kramiņa, who respectively head the firm’s banking and real estate practices, are also active in the tax space. The tax practice complements the firm’s work in M&A and investments and allows it to handle the many facets of transactions, which often have pan-Baltic and wider international scope.
Other key lawyers:
Māris Vainovskis; Ilze Kramiņa
KPMG Baltics AS on behalf of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Nordic Recycling, LLC
LHV Varahaldus (LHV Bank pension funds)
Kaamos group companies
- Advised LHV Varahaldus on the tax aspects of the acquisition of a real estate portfolio with the total value exceeding 9 million EUR.
- Advised KPMG Baltics AS on the forum selection and preferable corporate structure of the Capital Markets Development Accelerator Fund (CMDAF) in light of the European Union law and national laws and tax regulations of the Baltic States.
- Advised Latzeme OU on various tax aspects related to multi-million EUR investments into real estates in Latvia.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Cukste Levin provides a range of tax services including tax structuring and advising on the tax implications of large transactions. Vineta Cukste-Jurjeva is a specialist in tax litigation, with her cases covering a number of complex disputes on the implications of tax legislation, including the application of VAT to exports to other EU member states and the application of corporate tax relief to donations. Valters Kronbergs has expertise in the tax aspects of employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
Moller Auto Baltic
Aspect Custom Wear
Estate Guru OÜ
Kingsblue Publishing Limited
Tenax and its subsidiaries
Walless law firm of Lithuania
- Advising Moller on tax implications of restructuring.
- Advising Aspect SIA on tax implication of sale of business by estate beneficiaries in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising Fontes on tax treatment regarding business transactions.
TGS Baltic possesses capability in handling the tax aspects of the firm’s other major practice areas such as real estate, banking and finance and energy, including renewables. The firm has significant strengths in tax structuring and due diligence for major corporate transactions and bond issuances. Certified tax adviser Rudolfs Vilsons, an expert in tax structuring and tax dispute resolution, leads the team jointly with experienced corporate and M&A lawyer Andra Rubene.
Andra Rubene; Rūdolfs Vilsons
Akropolis Group UAB
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
European Energy AS
SIA Gym LV (brand Lemon Gym)
Inchcape Motors Latvia SIA
City Bee Solutions / SIA CityBee Latvia
Baltic Granulas SIA
Cryogas M&T Poland S.A.
- Assisted Akropolis Group UAB (Lithuania), the leading shopping and entertainment center development and management company in the Baltic States, with the tax due diligence and structuring of the acquisition of 100% of the shares of SIA Delta Property.
- Advised Evernord UAB (Lithuania) on the tax structuring of a private placement of EUR 3,500,000 bonds of NC K2C SIA (Latvia), a subsidiary of the Estonian real estate developer Novira Capital.
- Advised and obtained binding rulings of the local tax authorities confirming taxation of offshore wind farm business development projects in Latvia and Estonia in the interests of European Energy AS (Denmark)
Magnusson assists clients with a range of tax matters including payroll tax, corporate income tax and the taxation aspects of employee transfers. Managing partner Matīss Rostoks heads the practice, while former insolvency administrator Ēriks Spurelis, who joined the firm from private practice in 2021, leads a number of key tax projects. Senior associate Artūrs Ševčuks is also a name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Ēriks Spurelis; Artūrs Ševčuks