Deacons has a long track record of handling complex, high-value corporate transactions, including acting on inbound and outbound M&A, take-privates and business reorganisations. In addition to its work for multinationals entering the PRC market, the group also acts for public and private HK companies across sectors including financial services, real estate, consumer goods and technology. The group is jointly headed by Ronny Chow, who leads the corporate finance team, and Machiuanna Chu, who is also head of the corporate and commercial sub-team; and it was bolstered with the hire of Mark Stevens who joined from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP in September 2o22. Alexander Que is another name to note and takes the lead on privatisation.
Commercial, corporate and M&A: independent Hong Kong law firms in Hong Kong
Ronny Chow; Machiuanna Chu
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Que; Rhoda Yung; Queena Chow
‘Deacons is able to advise on the various aspects of the M&A transactions in the various sectors, including structuring, potential risks on the execution front, dealing with the relevant regulatory authorities, pre-completion restructuring, and post transaction integration issues. Besides the execution process and agreement drafting/negotiation, they are able to advise on other issues such as HR, taxation, anti-trust, insurance etc. which are equally important in a M&A transaction; and the partners/lawyers we have dealt with are very responsible and professional.’
‘Alex Que has in-depth knowledge of the rules and regulations in relation to the takeovers and privatization. Besides the legal skill sets, I am also quite concerned about the attitude of the lawyer I work with on a deal. Alex is very patient and is able to explain a difficult legal concept in a simply way to the client.’
‘I have worked with Deacons on a wide range of restructuring and corporate finance transactions. Deacons team have consistently demonstrated their resourcefulness in handling difficult issues which would inevitably come up in complex transactions under high-stress circumstances.’
‘Alex Que is detailed, practical and commercial. Alex has a positive thinking mind and could always bring fresh ideas to the table to bridge gaps when there are differences between involved parties. Queena Chow, the senior associate, is an incredibly hardworking, detailed and helpful lawyer dedicated to creating a solution.’
‘The team are experienced and efficient.’
‘We’ve worked with Rhoda Yung a lot. She and her team are accommodating and flexible, always placing clients’ interests first. There were good solicitor-and-client communications.’
Ausnutria Dairy Corporation Ltd
BOCI Asia Limited
Chuang’s Consortium International Limited
i-CABLE Communications Limited
ICBC International Capital Limited
Kerry Logistics Network Limited
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Viva China Holdings Limited
- Advised on Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Co., Ltd’s acquisition of a controlling stake in Ausnutria Dairy Corporation Ltd and mandatory conditional cash offers for shares and share options of Ausnutria Dairy Corporation Ltd.
- Advised Kerry Logistics Network Limited on its disposal of companies holding Hong Kong warehouse properties to Kerry Holdings Limited – a special deal in relation to S.F. Holding Co., Ltd.’s partial offers for shares and share options for Kerry Logistics Network.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on its disposal of its stake in ARA Asset Management Limited to ESR Cayman Limited and subscription of additional shares of ESR Cayman Limited.
Charltons is regularly instructed to act for both Hong Kong-based and international clients in cross-border deals, such as inward investments and joint ventures. The team is highly active in representing public Hong Kong companies from sectors including consumer goods and industrial manufacturing, including providing advice on capital markets transactions. Founding and managing partner Julia Charlton has deep experience of representing prominent clients in the full range of corporate transactions, while Clinton Morrow is dual-qualified in both Australia and Hong Kong. Calvin Ho is another name to note in the team with a focus on capital raisings.
Other key lawyers:
Clinton Morrow; Calvin Ho
JSAB Holding Limited
Chayora Holdings Limited
ROXCEL Trading GmbH
Next Vantage Global Limited
Gang Mai Environmental Services Company Limited
Victoria Hotels (HK) Limited
Shandong Xinhua Pharmaceutical Co Ltd
Jia Group Holdings Limited
Calioo Technologies Limited
- Advised the Chayora Group on the strategic investment by EdgeConneX in the Chayora Group and the subsequent general offer to repurchase shares by the Chayora Group to its minority shareholders.
- Advised the shareholders of Next Vantage Global Limited in relation to the sale of the entire issued share capital of HKTaxi App Limited to Uber International Holding B.V.
At Howse Williams, the corporate practice is adept at advising on public M&A deals such as privatisations, drawing on its knowledge of Hong Kong listing rules. The team is also regularly engaged on commercial agreements including joint ventures and licensing deals. Founding partner Chris Williams leads the team and offers expertise across M&A, corporate finance and restructurings.
Other key lawyers:
Brian Ho; Christopher Yu; Chia Ching Tan; Anthony Chan
Hyve Group plc
LaSalle Investment Management/QuadReal Property Group
Hop Hing Group Holdings Limited
Able Engineering Holdings Limited
Chuan Holdings Limited
Argyle Street Management Limited
Bison Finance Group Limited
DL Holdings Group Limited
Genesis Venture Limited
Kwok Yih & Chan
Kwok Yih & Chan is adept at acting for public Hong Kong companies in complex deals such as spin-offs, debt restructurings and carve-outs. The team works for companies across sectors including entertainment, real estate, mining, consumer goods. Founding partners Larry Kwok, Dieter Yih, Conrad Chan all offer deep experience in the Hong Kong corporate market, having spent decades working for leading firms in this jurisdiction.
Larry Kwok; Dieter Yih; Conrad Chan
Other key lawyers:
Ronnie Bow; Leon Saw
PFC Device Inc.
Lotus Atlantic Limited
Karrie International Holdings Limited
Haichang Ocean Park Holdings Ltd.
Hidili Industry International Development Limited
Shenzhen Huayu Investment & Development Group Co., Ltd.
Shaanxi Chaoyue Agriculture Company Limited
- Advised PFC Device Inc. and Lotus Atlantic Limited on the privatisation of PFC Device Inc. by way of a scheme of arrangement under Cayman Islands Companies Act and the withdrawal of the listing of the shares of PFC Device Inc. on GEM of the HKEx.
- Advised Karrie International Holdings Limited on the acquisition of shares which constituted major and connected transactions under the HKEx Listing Rules.
- Advising Haichang Ocean Park Holdings Ltd. on the disposal of assets which constituted a very substantial disposal under the HKEx Listing Rules.
LC Lawyers LLP
A member of the EY Law network, LC Lawyers LLP is adept at advising on cross-border corporate transactions ranging from take-privates to share sales. The team also handles restructurings, and leverages its links to EY to advise on corporate insolvencies. Rossana Chu heads up the group, and acts for a client base which includes multinationals, Hong Kong-listed companies and investment funds.
Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited
China Renewable Energy Investment Limited
Li Ning Company Limited
Fullshare Holdings Limited
HKC (Holdings) Limited
Good Friend (H.K.) Corporation Limited
Greenheart Group Limited
IMS Group Holdings Limited
Majestic Corporation Limited
Windmill Group Limited
- Represented a HK-listed company Li Ning Company Limited in its US$1.34 billion share sale.
- Advised a HK-listed company Fullshare Holdings Limited on disposal of 43% equity interest in Nanjing High Speed Gear Manufacturing Co., Ltd. for US$680 million.
- Represented Li Ning Company Limited (SEHK:2331) in its subscriptions of wealth management products in the total consideration of US$284 million.
At Gallant, the corporate team is highly active in share sales and acquisitions, regularly winning instructions to advise on deals involving companies listed in Hong Kong, mainland China and elsewhere in the Asia Pacific region. The group is also engaged on international deals pertaining to companies holding assets in Hong Kong. Philip Wong serves as head of the corporate department and is also a managing partner at the firm.
Liu Chong Hing Investment Limited
- Advised Liu Chong Hing Investment Limited on its acquisition of Choengmon Real Estate Company Limited, involving a deal size of approximately THB2,480,000,000.
Georgiou Payne Stewien LLP
Established in 2017, Georgiou Payne Stewien LLP advises clients based in Hong Kong, as well as multinationals entering the HK market, on M&A deals, joint ventures and investments. The firm is also highly active on commercial agreements, assisting on the drafting of supply and distribution deals as well as providing input on contractual issues associated with the launch of new products. Founding partner Brett Stewien leads the practice and previously worked in the corporate practices of a number of leading firms in HK.
Other key lawyers:
Isabella Wong; Jeremy Chiu
‘A niche practice which has great diversity and range in services and industry coverage. Brett and Isabella have been fantastic to work with on various issues over the past year.’
‘Brett and Isabella are both commercial in their approach and readily available to assist us when we need assistance.’
‘The team is well prepared in various practice areas and compared to other firms they provide the a very good quality service while keeping the fees very reasonable. At the same time, the practice is very flexible, available for meetings, calls, as well as to deal with urgent matters and challenging clients.’
‘I usually work with Brett and Isabella and always appreciate their responsiveness, flexibility, precision, knowledge and quick turnaround time for urgent matters. They always go above and beyond expectations and provide an excellent service.’
‘From partner to associate, to junior associate, whole team is extremely responsive, but also very commercial and understand the balance between practical realities vs black and white legal advice.’
‘Brett Stewien gives commercial advice that aligns with the client\’s own goals. Really understands the purpose of the deals his working on and where to push and where to give. Junior associate Jeremy Chiu is a great compliment to Brett’s team. Incredibly available at any time, with super quick response times. I believe he has an impressive career ahead. Associate Isabella Wong picked up issues extremely quickly when Jeremy wasn’t available. Almost seamless handover. Another great asset to Brett’s team.’
‘There is a cohesiveness about the team at GPS and how they manage to to efficiently and effectively have different lawyers jump in and out of the matter when most appropriate. The senior partners help guide the process and it makes for a strong collaborative offering.’
‘Brett Stewien is able to identify the key legal matters that need to be addressed, filtering out the noise and combining the legal implications with sound economic assessments and views. Isabella Wong was a stalwart in efficiency and productivity. Isabella was also willing to go the extra mile and worked with inexperienced sellers to explain and guide them on the closing.’
Wilson Group Limited
Know Your Customer Limited
Moni Media Limited
Agrano Corporation Limited (David Rosa)
Lark Hill Limited
Segovia Financial Services Limited
True Ample Limited (BlockTrust)
Anheuser-Busch InBev (Shanghai) Sales Company Limited (Budweiser)
Siemens Energy Limited
Triangl Group Limited
Virtus Medical Group Limited
Estee Lauder Asia Pacific Limited
Maxim’s Caterers Limited
Vectr Fintech Partners Advisors, LLC
Genesis Alternative Investments Pte. Ltd.
Knorr-Bremse Asia Pacific (Holding) Limited
Covestro (Hong Kong) Limited
- Advised multiple sellers in respect of sale of Neat Limited, a business platform for start-up companies that provides a full business registration and banking service, to Rapyd Financial Network (2016) Ltd.
- Advised Wilson Group Limited on all legal and contractual arrangements in respect of WIL, an “All-in-One Engagement Platform for Motorists”.
- Represented Moni Media Limited, an award-winning digital commerce agency headquartered in Hong Kong, in respect of its acquisition by TAG Worldwide Group Limited, a media production company offering marketing execution services.
Hugill & Ip
Hugill & Ip has a broad practice across both corporate and commercial law, advising them on joint ventures, licensing, cooperation and distribution agreements, and acquisitions. The team is jointly led by Christopher Hooley, Jade Tang and Gary Wong. Hooley has a decades-long track record handling M&A deals in both the UK and HK, while Wong is qualified to practice in Hong Kong, New York and Hawaii. In addition to her corporate work, Tang has additional expertise in employment law.
Christopher Hooley; Jade Tang; Gary Wong
Manifest Marketing Ltd
Cellomics Int’l Ltd
HKCMA N3 Capital Partners
The Great British Teddy Bear Corp
Central Venue Management Ltd
Serious Staging Ltd
Storm Force Marine Ltd
- Advised Hargreaves Services PLC on a wide range of commercial and banking issues in Hong Kong,
- Acting as primary counsel to Chinney Alliance Engineering Limited on the successful bid and subsequent matters for the Hong Kong $800 million Facility Control Systems for the Hong Kong International Airport Third Runway Project.
- Advised T Creative Limited on its partnership and joint venture agreements with business partners and on its business agreements, including licensing agreements and cooperation agreements for exhibitions.
Oldham, Li & Nie
Under the leadership of Tracy Yip, Oldham, Li & Nie acts on corporate matters across Asia, including restructurings, acquisitions and disposals, corporate governance issues, joint ventures and commercial agreements. Yip heads up the firm’s M&A practice, while founder and senior partner Gordon Oldham has a particular focus on the drafting of commercial contracts and restructurings. Simon Wong is another name to note with experience across M&A and capital markets deals.
Tanner De Witt
Tanner De Witt is highly active in the Hong Kong corporate market, advising on both domestic and cross-border deals including the HK aspects of large-scale, multi-jurisdictional deals. Eddie Look and Tim Drew jointly lead the team and between them offer decades of experience in M&A, investments and joint ventures; elsewhere, River Stone stands out for his focus on public market transactions such as share sales and acquisitions. The team’s client base is broad and encompasses Hong Kong and international companies across sectors including technology, manufacturing and consumer goods.
Eddie Look; Tim Drew
Other key lawyers:
Edmond Leung; River Stone; Carol Ling
‘The Tanner de Witt team are always great to work with. They have very talented lawyers, attract a fantastic calibre of clients, and are always a great bunch of people to work with.’
‘River Stone who heads the China desk, Edmond Leung (corporate/M&A) and Eddie Look are the key practitioners in the team. They’re always very approachable and responsive and give very practical and commercially savvy advice.’
‘We have worked with Tim Drew and Carol Ling from Tanner De Witt. Both are excellent and professional lawyers, who were extremely on the ball and highly responsive.’
‘An exceptional practice. A real feeling of total teamwork, from the most senior in the team which was assigned for my advisory work, to the next levels in the team. Each team member knew their role and there was evident synergy across the team members which meant that as a client, I felt all were aligned and on the same page with my situation and the details of my matters.’
‘The corporate practice has a strong bench and take a very hands on and pragmatic approach. The partners are really experienced and understand the market. They take the time to understand the client and what they are looking to achieve.’
‘Tim Drew has deep experience in the market. He is a delight to work with and gets deals done. He has a way of cutting through complexity and making you feel that you are in very safe hands.’
‘An independent boutique Hong Kong firm which punches above their weight. Very knowledgeable, commercial and value for money.’
‘Capable, quick and experienced.’
Hong Kong Rugby Union
Rochdale Spears (leading furniture manufacturer)
China Cinda (HK) Asset Management
China Shandong Group
ROLFO S.p.A (major Italian producer of truck superstructures)
Zadig & Voltaire
- Acting as lead counsel for Qima Limited in acquiring an inspection services provider.
- Advised and assisted Newborn Town Inc in acquiring shares of NBT Social Networking Inc from BGFG Limited.
- Acted for the Founders of Vishare Technology Limited in buying back Pre-series A preferred shares of Vishare from a famous Korean PE fund.