Jeremy Phillips QC offers the highest levels of expertise and advocacy as a barrister following, uniquely, an equally successful career as a solicitor, both in his own practice and subsequently leading teams in leading international law firms.
- Licensing & Disciplinary – from local authority to Court of Appeal, advising upon and determining novel issues arising in numerous important licensing applications relating to gambling, taxi, alcohol & entertainment legislation in the UK and overseas. Editor in Chief of Paterson’s Licensing Acts and a General Editor of Smith & Monkcom – The Law of Gambling he has been recognised for the past three decades as a leader in these fields.
- Regulatory & Environmental – representing the Environment Agency, HSE, Marine Management Organisation and local authorities in inquests and prosecutions concerning a range of waste, food, health & safety and breach of licensing offences, as well as companies in relation to due diligence and criminal confiscation issues. Also statutory nuisance abatement appeals and prosecutions. The Law of Regulatory Enforcement Sanctions – A Practical Guide – OUP (2011) and LexisPSL: Corporate Crime, Environmental Statutory Nusiance and wildlife Crime (2017)
- Advisory & judicial review – numerous High Court challenges on a wide range of public law issues ranging from: local authorities’ Standards of Conduct to Assets of Community Value (ACV); from the repayment of s.106 monies, to the sufficiency of Reasons. Contributions also to the work of the Law Commission, Department of Culture Media and Sport, Cabinet Office and former Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform, as well as the Bar Council, its Ethics committee and the Licensed Trade Charity (trustee/school govenor).
- Public inquiries – various major footpath, TVG and planning Inquiries as well as objection to the £4.1bn Thames Tideway Tunnel infrastructure project, promoting rail crossing extinguishment orders (Network Rail) and representation of the Ramblers’ Association in relation to the Bristol Bus Rapid Transit Scheme. Also, supporting the successful Weymouth Relief Road and South Devon Link Road and others.
- Complex mediations – including the multi-party multi-issue mediation which he devised arising from the Business & Enterprise Select Committee (BESC): Relationship Between Pub Companies and Lessees – Seventh Report of Session 2008-09. Resolution (both as mediator and mediation advocate) of major environmental litigation involving local authorities and national and international operators as well as smaller property disputes. Head of FTB’s Mediation and Arbitration Group.