Daniyar Toigonbaev > Dentons > Almaty, Kazakhstan > Lawyer Profile
135 ABYLAI KHAN AVENUE
- Go to...
Daniyar is the Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice at Dentons Kazakhstan. Daniyar focuses on complex disputes in commercial and corporate sectors, as well as on disputes with tax and other governmental authorities. He has a proven track record of successful dispute resolution in courts and in arbitrations in Kazakhstan and abroad, which is based on his professionalism, deep knowledge and understanding of clients’ businesses, and a thoughtful and innovative approach to each case. Daniyar’s particular specialization is in investment disputes.
Daniyar’s area of expertise also includes large-scale projects in the area of power and natural resources.
Prior to joining Dentons, Daniyar worked as an in-house counsel, including as a general counsel, in large mining companies in Kazakhstan, Russia, and Kyrgyzstan.
- Partner, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2020–to date
- Counsel, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2017–2019
- Senior Associate, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2015–2017
- Head of the International Legal Department, Polyus Gold, Moscow, Russia, 2013–2014
- General Counsel, Kazakhaltyn, Astana, Kazakhstan, 2009-2013
- General Counsel, Talas Gold Mining Company, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2004-2009
- In-house Counsel, Kyrgyzaltyn JSC, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2002-2004
English, Russian, Kyrgyz
- Arbitrator of the International Court of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Kazakhstan Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State University, 2009, LLM
- Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University, 2002, Law Degree, with honors
Dentons‘ versatile practice includes commercial, corporate, tax and, increasingly, administrative disputes. The group is highly sought after by companies in disputes against the state, notably in investment disputes, and has experience in a wide range of international arbitration proceedings and litigation. In addition to its expertise in intellectual property disputes, the team is also well versed in employment, contract and real estate disputes. Daniyar Toigonbaev is the head of the practice which includes Aigoul Kenjebayeva, the managing partner for Kazakhstan and Central Asia, and Victoria Simonova, an expert in infrastructure projects. Counsel Artur Utarbayev is noted for his strength in litigation. Kanat Skakov left the firm in December 2020.
- Dispute resolution - Kazakhstan
- Next Generation Partners - Kazakhstan > Energy and natural resources
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking, finance and capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources
- IP and TMT
- Real estate and construction (including projects)
- Tax and customs