Daniyar Toigonbaev > Dentons > Almaty, Kazakhstan > Lawyer Profile
135 ABYLAI KHAN AVENUE
- Go to...
Daniyar is the Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice at Dentons Kazakhstan. Daniyar focuses on complex disputes in commercial and corporate sectors, as well as on disputes with tax and other governmental authorities. He has a proven track record of successful dispute resolution in courts and in arbitrations in Kazakhstan and abroad, which is based on his professionalism, deep knowledge and understanding of clients’ businesses, and a thoughtful and innovative approach to each case. Daniyar’s particular specialization is in investment disputes.
Daniyar’s area of expertise also includes large-scale projects in the area of power and natural resources.
Prior to joining Dentons, Daniyar worked as an in-house counsel, including as a general counsel, in large mining companies in Kazakhstan, Russia, and Kyrgyzstan.
- Partner, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2020–to date
- Counsel, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2017–2019
- Senior Associate, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2015–2017
- Head of the International Legal Department, Polyus Gold, Moscow, Russia, 2013–2014
- General Counsel, Kazakhaltyn, Astana, Kazakhstan, 2009-2013
- General Counsel, Talas Gold Mining Company, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2004-2009
- In-house Counsel, Kyrgyzaltyn JSC, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2002-2004
English, Russian, Kyrgyz
- Arbitrator of the International Court of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Kazakhstan Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State University, 2009, LLM
- Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University, 2002, Law Degree, with honors
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Dentons has profound expertise in the field of energy and natural resources, with the team representing high-profile clients before governmental agencies, state authorities, courts and arbitral proceedings. It places particular focus on oil and gas, uranium and solid mineral mining projects. The group advises on subsoil use law and other connected areas, including M&A, contracts and licences, procurement issues, regulatory compliance, farm-outs, joint ventures and consortium agreements, among others. Almaty-based Daniyar Toigonbaev heads the practice, which also includes dispute resolution specialist Aigoul Kenjebayeva and senior associate Nazym Bekturova. Elsewhere, infrastructure head Birzhan Zharasbayev, who is also managing partner of the firm’s office in Astana, advises companies operating in the renewable energy sector.
Almaty-based Daniyar Toigonbaev heads up the tax and customs practice at Dentons, an interdisciplinary team able to leverage wider expertise in areas such as corporate, real estate and litigation. The group has a strong reputation in high-value tax disputes, with a focus on major natural resources projects in Kazakhstan, counting a number of leading energy suppliers, mining companies among its client roster. Other key workflows originate from entities operating in the aviation, automotive, infrastructure and retail sectors. Senior associate Stanislav Lechshak, whose wide-ranging practice spans the pharmaceutical, telecommunications and financial services sectors, and tax advisor Darya Vologodskaya are also recommended.
Daniyar Toigonbaev heads the litigation and dispute resolution practice at Dentons, which has an outstanding track record in complex commercial, corporate, administrative and tax disputes. The team is highly involved in matters against state authorities, acting for large enterprises that have been inspected for tax, environmental and other breaches. It is also active in high-profile international arbitrations; Aigoul Kenjebayeva has extensive experience as a Kazakh law expert in international arbitrations. Recent work has focused on the mining and oil and gas sectors, including the representation of major Kazakh steel producer ArcelorMittal Temirtau JSC in disputes against the competition authority. Other key individuals include Victoria Simonova and counsel Artur Utarbayev.
- Dispute resolution Kazakhstan
- Energy and natural resources Kazakhstan
- Next Generation Partners Kazakhstan > Energy and natural resources
- Tax and customs Kazakhstan
- Next Generation Partners Kazakhstan > Tax and customs
- Next Generation Partners Kazakhstan > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking, finance and capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources
- IP and TMT
- Real estate and construction (including projects)
- Tax and customs