Daniyar Toigonbaev > Dentons > Almaty, Kazakhstan > Lawyer Profile
135 ABYLAI KHAN AVENUE
- Go to...
Daniyar is the Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice at Dentons Kazakhstan. Daniyar focuses on complex disputes in commercial and corporate sectors, as well as on disputes with tax and other governmental authorities. He has a proven track record of successful dispute resolution in courts and in arbitrations in Kazakhstan and abroad, which is based on his professionalism, deep knowledge and understanding of clients’ businesses, and a thoughtful and innovative approach to each case. Daniyar’s particular specialization is in investment disputes.
Daniyar’s area of expertise also includes large-scale projects in the area of power and natural resources.
Prior to joining Dentons, Daniyar worked as an in-house counsel, including as a general counsel, in large mining companies in Kazakhstan, Russia, and Kyrgyzstan.
- Partner, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2020–to date
- Counsel, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2017–2019
- Senior Associate, Dentons, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2015–2017
- Head of the International Legal Department, Polyus Gold, Moscow, Russia, 2013–2014
- General Counsel, Kazakhaltyn, Astana, Kazakhstan, 2009-2013
- General Counsel, Talas Gold Mining Company, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2004-2009
- In-house Counsel, Kyrgyzaltyn JSC, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2002-2004
English, Russian, Kyrgyz
- Arbitrator of the International Court of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Kazakhstan Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State University, 2009, LLM
- Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University, 2002, Law Degree, with honors
Lawyer Rankings(Rising stars)
Dentons is primarily focused on projects in the mining and oil and gas sectors, including advising major petroleum, mining, and service companies, as well as major financial institutions in Kazakhstan and nearby CIS countries. Managing partner Aigoul Kenjebayeva advises on upstream, midstream, and pipeline acquisitions, structuring greenfield projects, and other key oil and gas projects. Additionally, Daniyar Toigonbaev frequently represents international companies in court and is an expert in subsoil use codes, while Ruslan Nurbekov advises on renewable energy work, infrastructure projects, PPPs and commercial matters.
The team at Dentons is highly experienced in representing clients in commercial disputes, as well as in contentious tax and customs matters. Additionally, it represents clients in banking litigation, general contract litigation, joint venture and partnership disputes, and IP disputes, among other work. Aigoul Kenjebayeva leads on all matters. Newly promoted partner Daniyar Toigonbaev represents international companies in Kazakh court; the highly regarded Victoria Simonova handles Kazakh and international law matters; and newly promoted counsel Artur Utarbayev is particularly experienced in commercial, contractual, and construction disputes.
- Dispute resolution - Kazakhstan
- Energy and natural resources - Kazakhstan
- Rising stars - Kazakhstan > Energy and natural resources
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking, finance and capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources
- IP and TMT
- Real estate and construction (including projects)
- Tax and customs