Michelle Knapp > DWF > London, England > Lawyer Profile
20 FENCHURCH STREET
- Go to...
Michelle is a Partner in the Catastrophic Injury and Insurance Team in London. She specialises in catastrophic injury and sub-catastrophic cases covering employers liability, public liability and motor claims.
Michelle is primarily instructed by large composite insurers and Lloyds syndicates in complex liability and quantum cases involving complex orthopaedic and psychiatric injuries, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, amputee claims and fatal accident claims with reserves ranging from £100,000 to in excess of £25m. She also works on complex international claims and has worked extensively on cases in France, Malta, Spain, Cyprus and Africa.
Michelle regularly delivers training to insurer clients on calculating future heads of loss and inflationary pressures, contributory negligence and fatal claims with a focus on strategy, tactics and investigations.
She manages projects for insurer clients on reserves and Management Information to ensure that the quality of data coming through is accurate and correct. One of the recent projects undertaken resulted in an insurer client being able to secure one of the most competitive Re-insurance programmes in the market.
Michelle has been a guest speaker at the Royal Buckinghamshire Hospital and LexisNexis discussing Spinal Injuries and the Serious Injury Guide. She has worked on many high profile cases attracting media attention including the case of Kalma and Others v Tonkolili Iron Ore (SL) Limited (TIO).
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Steven King and Mark Whittaker co-lead the personal injury defendant offering at DWF. The team is comprised of experts in complex injury litigation and is well adept at defending high-value, complex claims arising from: motor and road traffic incidents, workplace accidents, property damage, health and safety issues, as well as public and product liability cases. It is also experienced in dealing with group actions. Presently, it is acting for the defendant council in the multi-claimant, high-profile action regarding the Grenfell Tower disaster, and has set up extensive rehabilitation for victims and their families as part of its work. In addition, the team is well equipped to handle cross-jurisdictional matters; recently promoted partner Michelle Knapp is developing a strong reputation for handling international catastrophic injury cases. Other noted senior practitioners include Claire Bowler, Graham Dickinson and Rhys Sanchez. ‘Future partner in-the-making’, Adela Carrasco, is one to watch at senior associate level.
- Next Generation Partners - London > Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Personal injury: defendant - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Health and safety
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Transport > Travel
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Public sector > Local government
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Transport > Shipping
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Real estate > Property finance
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)