Mr Ricardo Leon-Santacruz > Sánchez Devanny > Monterrey, Mexico > Lawyer Profile
Sánchez Devanny Offices
TORRE NOVO, PISO 4, DESPACHO 401
JOSÉ CLEMENTE OROZCO 335, COL. VALLE ORIENTE
SAN PEDRO GARZA GARCÍA, NL 66269
- Go to...
Mr Ricardo Leon-Santacruz
Tax; Private Wealth Management and Estate Planning, Member of the Life Sciences Industry Practice
Ricardo is Sánchez Devanny’s Managing Partner. He is a tax attorney with more than 20 years of experience who co-chairs the firm’s Tax practice group. He has a broad based transactional tax practice focused on Mexican inbound and outbound tax planning and transfer pricing; tax treaties, their application and limitations; anticipation of anti-deferral and anti-abuse legislation; and overall Income Tax and VAT rationalization. His expertise allows him to structure tax-efficient domestic and cross border acquisitions, mergers, reorganizations, spin-offs, redemptions, liquidations, post-acquisition integrations and business restructurings. Ricardo’s transfer pricing experience allows him to proactively advise clients on the design and implementation of intellectual property, financing, procurement and distribution of goods and performance of services transactions. His experience and sensitivity have afforded Ricardo prominent recognition in the market as a trusted private family advisor that can render guidance on tax optimization and multigenerational planning family governance.
Prior to joining Sánchez Devanny, he served as Associate Chief Counsel, International (financial instrument taxation) at the Mexican Tax Administration Service and worked as associate and local partner in the Juarez, Chicago and Monterrey offices of a major international law firm. Ricardo’s active participation in professional associations has led him to serve as Co-Chair of the Taxes Committee of the International Bar Association, Co-Chair of the International Tax Committee, American Bar Association, Section of International Law, and Chair of the National Association of Tax Specialists, Monterrey Chapter. He was named as “The National Expert” for his participation in the article Transfer Pricing 2018 included in the edition Getting the Deal Through.
- Member and an officer of the International Bar Association Tax Committee, where he leads its response to the OECD’s proposals on base erosion and profit shifting and is currently responsible for membership in Latin America.
- Member and Co-Chair of Tax Committee for the International Section of the American Bar Association.
- Member and immediate past Chair of the National Association for Tax Specialists in Monterrey.
- Member of the International Fiscal Association, Mexican Chapter.
- Member of the Tax Committee for the State of Nuevo Leon Certified Public Accountants Institute.
- Member of the Tax Committee for the Mexican Financial Executives Institute.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the University of San Diego School of Law – Procopio International Tax Institute.
- Program on Transfer Pricing: Policy and Practice. Duke Center for International Development. Duke University, Durham, N.C., USA (2016).
- Ibero-American Government Officers Training Program. Tax Studies Institute, Spanish Ministry of Revenue, Madrid, Spain (1999).
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Common Law Studies with emphasis on Taxation. Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., USA (1997).
- Law Degree. Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Chihuahua Campus, Chihuahua, México (1994).
Sánchez Devanny‘s international experience has given the practice substantial hands-on expertise in cross border tax matters. The 20-strong team is co-led by five partners: the experienced Ricardo Leon-Santacruz, who specializes in tax planning and transfer pricing; Guillermo Villaseñor-Tadeo, who leads on the litigation front; Luis Antonio González Flores, who has broad experience in national and international tax audits, anti-money laundering and anti-corruption compliance strategies, with a special focus on multinational enterprises; Mariana Eguiarte-Morett, who has ‘impressive technical knowledge on international tax matters’; and Abel Mejia-Cosenza, who specializes in international tax planning for both individuals and corporations.