Mr Sheldon Banoff > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Sheldon Banoff
Transactional Tax Planning
Sheldon Banoff has successfully guided law firms and other professional service firms through federal tax, partnership law and regulatory challenges for more than 40 years. A nationally respected authority who has testified to Congress on tax issues, he combines great technical knowledge with the practical mindset of a problem solver.
In planning for his clients’ growth, Sheldon draws on his own experience at Katten, which he joined out of law school. Having watched Katten evolve into a large international firm, he understands how to position partnerships advantageously for the present without creating problems as they increase in size. He is also skilled in balancing the interests of firm management with those of important non-management personnel.
Through his longtime work with professional service firms, Sheldon has seen and handled a great breadth of issues. His matters vary from helping firms create foreign affiliates, to creating retirement programs, to success planning. Beyond his work for law firms, he also has advised accounting firms, real estate developers, lenders and investors.
Sheldon’s work and writings on tax issues have made him a national figure sought out by fellow professionals. He has provided expert testimony on partnerships and other pass-through entities before the Ways and Means Committee of the US House of Representatives. He has written a long-running monthly column in the Journal of Taxation, lectured at the University of Chicago Law School and served on the school’s annual tax conference planning committee.
American Bar Association American College of Tax Counsel Journal of Taxation The Chicago Bar Association The Law Partnership and Benefits Report University of Chicago Law School Federal Tax Conference Planning Committee
JD, The University of Chicago Law School, 1974; BS, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1971
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense