Mr Carlos Camacho > Arias > San Jose, Costa Rica > Lawyer Profile
ESCAZÚ, SAN JOSÉ
- Go to...
Mr Carlos Camacho
- Carlos has worked with companies with a global presence on passing the necessary laws for developing new business opportunities or addressing issues in laws or bills of law affecting certain industries. He has broad experience in the protection of foreign investment in Costa Rica under national law and international bilateral investment treaties, creating and executing action plans for defending investment and negotiating solutions with the government. Carlos is well known for his knowledge in Public Private Partnerships for the development of infrastructure.
- He has also worked in the administration and planning of real estate development projects and property acquisition processes. Together with his team, he has worked in obtaining permits for developments in both urban and coastal areas and in negotiations of leases in Industrial Parks.
- He has been a career diplomat and was appointed consul for the Costa Rican Consulate General in New York (2005-2007), representing the country in that jurisdiction by both promoting Costa Rica and providing consular services. His experience also includes working as a legal assistant and associate lawyer at KPMG Law (2000-2005), advising local and multinational firms on corporate law and real estate development.
- Basic French
International BAr Association (IBA)
- Law Degree from the University of Costa Rica (UCR).
- Masters in Latin American and International Law (LL.M.) at the University of Texas (UT) at Austin, Texas.
- Certificate in International Business and Corporate Finance from New York University (NYU).
The team of ‘high-level advisers‘ at Arias continues to lead in the tax arena. Practice head Caroline Flores and the experienced Carlos Camacho assist leading multinationals with cross-border tax matters, establishing tax structures and meeting compliance requirements, as well as transfer pricing and litigation. Clients are drawn from such sectors as food, digital services, hospitality, telecoms and manufacturing. The team is backed by senior counsel Ligia Alfaro, and was further strengthened by the arrival of new associate Ricardo Valverde, who joined the firm from Deloitte in 2020.
The real estate practice at Arias advises domestic and international clients on day-to-day matters and strategies for the expansion of their presence in the region. Spearheaded by real estate development authority Carlos Camacho and regulatory expert Vicente Lines, and supported by real estate consultant Edmond Macluf and senior counsel Vivian Gazel, the team represents a client roster that covers the food and beverages, logistics, tech, real estate, telecoms and pharmaceuticals sectors. The group advises on due diligence and title verifications, leases, purchases and sales, mortgages, construction contracts, tax issues and concession rights.
The insurance team at Central American firm Arias brings strength in regional matters to its advice to international clients. Led by experienced partner Carlos Camacho, the team advises on the insurance elements of high-value transactions across the hospitality, technology, aviation and automotive sectors. The group offers a diverse spectrum of services, from drafting insurance clauses in agreements to offering key support on dealings with the supervising authority. The team is supported by finance expert Diego Gallegos, senior associate Ignacio Flores, who is a specialist in governmental matters, and associate Natalia Granados, who advises on special regimes.
The ‘experienced and renowned‘ compliance group at Arias continues to grow, providing ongoing advice on regulatory matters to clients from a diverse range of sectors, including medical devices, food, technology and financial services. New co-head (and lifelong diplomat) Carlos Camacho brings his free trade zone expertise to the team, joining compliance authority Vicente Lines and department director and white-collar crime expert German Rojas. The group is backed by senior associates Ignacio Flores, who specialises in risk management, and Vivian Gazel, who advises on data protection matters. The team has expertise in antitrust, anti-corruption, corporate governance and consumers’ rights matters.
The environmental team at Arias maintains a top-shelf client roster that spans a diverse spectrum of sectors, including energy, hospitality, automotive, construction and tech. An experienced team led by Carlos Ubico, Carlos Camacho, and energy and infrastructure expert Vicente Lines advises on a wide range of matters related to the environment, such as due diligence procedures, regulatory compliance, the development of energy and renewable resources, expansion planning and corporate responsibility management. In addition to preparing legal frameworks for day-to-day transactions to meet governmental requirements, the firm specialises in constitutional claims and procurement proceedings. Additional expertise is brought to the team by associates Luis Diego Obando, Ignacio Flores, Vivian Gazel and environmental specialist Mónica Espinoza. Since publication the firm has hired Roberto Cordero – the director and founder of long-standing environmental consultancy ENLACE – from EY Law Central America, effective as of February 2022.
- Compliance - Costa Rica
- Tax - Costa Rica
- Environment - Costa Rica
- Insurance - Costa Rica
- Real estate - Costa Rica