Thomas Hauser > Ballard Spahr LLP > Baltimore, United States > Lawyer Profile
Ballard Spahr LLP Offices
111 S. Calvert Street
BALTIMORE, MD 21202-6174
- Go to...
Thomas A. Hauser represents lenders, investors, borrowers, and other sources of capital in the purchase, sale, financing, and restructuring of real estate and real estate-related assets. Tom is Practice Co-Leader of the firm’s Real Estate Finance Group. He advises clients through all phases of a transaction—from the due diligence and term sheet stage through financing and closing, and he supports them with business counseling on issues such as fund formation and corporate governance.
Tom regularly handles 10-figure transactions involving multiple layers of financing and complex ownership structures. He has played a leading role in the purchase, sale, and financing of office and multifamily complexes, senior living facilities, student housing, biotech campuses, and retail buildings.
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
American Bar Association
Maryland Bar Association
University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D. 1991, cum laude)
Head Note and Comment Editor, University of Pittsburgh Law Review
Dickinson College (B.A. 1988)
From Baltimore, Ballard Spahr LLP‘s practice-co-head Thomas Hauser counsels lenders, investors, borrowers, and other sources of capital in various financing structures and and restructuring of real estate-related assets. Co-head Siobhan O’Donnell in Los Angeles focuses on commercial real estate, and heads the CMBS loan origination team; she also advises on construction loans, preferred equity transactions and mezzanine loans. Jeffrey Page leads the New York office’s real estate finance team, specializing in all facets of real estate lending and restructuring work.
A nationwide team with ‘outstanding legal expertise and deep industry knowledge’, Ballard Spahr LLP is regarded for its development and financing work in condominiums, hospitality and mixed-use projects. From Baltimore, practice chair Amy McClain is well known for her expertise in development and securing funding for affordable housing projects. Thomas Hauser is another real estate finance specialist in the same office. Other recommended lawyers include Tina Makoulian and Bart Mellits in Philadelphia and Roger Winston in Washington DC, head of the mixed-use department.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance