James Fawcett > Browne Jacobson LLP > Nottingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
CASTLE MEADOW ROAD
- Go to...
Insurance and public risk/technical claims and social care.
James is a highly experienced partner leading our large Technical Claims team that spans both our London and Nottingham offices. He specialises in Defendant insurance litigation, with particular expertise in complex personal injury litigation and claims arising from equality and Human Rights legislation. His very large over-arching team includes our local authority team, motor team, commercial insurance specialists, our education sub-team, housing team, and he also manages a sub-team which specialises in pursuing business recovery and debt actions. James’ breadth of expertise means he is well placed to collaborate across our broader practice both to enhance our offer and to continue to build the unique reputation his teams have developed to embed transferable skills.
He currently handles a varied caseload of complex, high value litigation, acting on behalf of educational establishments, Local Authorities, Public Bodies, as well as commercial and agricultural organisations. He has considerable experience in handling catastrophic injury claims, including cases involving traumatic brain injury, amputation, fatal accidents, disease and stress at work claims.
James works closely with a number of key clients, providing tailored training sessions, secondments, and advice on risk management issues. He will always look to immerse himself in the client’s philosophy and adapt his approach accordingly.
James has a growing reputation in the education sector.
Trained Cutts Shiers, qualified 2002, partner 2014. Cutts Shiers; assistant solicitor Davies Lavery; joined Browne Jacobson 2006.
- Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Nottingham Insurance Institute
- Nottinghamshire Medico-Legal Society
Myers Grove School, Sheffield; Northampton University (BA Law (Hons)).
Sport (particularly football), spending time with young family.
The offering at Browne Jacobson LLP is best known for its skilful handling of novel and complex employers’ and public liability claims. Local government bodies are a key source of instruction for core practitioner David Maggs, while James Fawcett is noted for his work in the education sector. For social care providers, Sarah Erwin-Jones and Cynthia Watts are the names to note. The group is also noted for its significant ‘expertise in the area of abuse claims defence‘.
Lorna Hardman heads the national clinical negligence team at Browne Jacobson LLP, which acts for all types of healthcare providers on all types of clinical negligence claims, including avoidable brain injuries and serious birth injuries. The team includes senior associate Kelly Buckley, who acts on many ‘early notification’ cases for NHS Resolution. The personal injury team, headed by James Fawcett, focuses on high value and complex personal injury claims, acting for public bodies and insurers. ‘Stand-out‘ Sarah Erwin-Jones specialises in abuse and safeguarding cases and ‘fights passionately‘ for clients while remaining ‘sensible and pragmatic when it comes to resolving cases‘.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Commercial property: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Private finance initiative (PFI)
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport