Helena Brown > Addleshaw Goddard > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
19 CANNING STREET
- Go to...
Helena is an IP, IT and commercial expert with over 15 years’ experience advising on a range of legal areas such as high profile technology sector investments and acquisitions, high profile public bodies and charities and on strategic data protection issues and more. Helena is also a fully accredited Practitioner in Data Protection, and also has extensive experience in providing support on complex freedom of information matters. Helena supports and advises on international data transfers, service offshoring and subject access requests.
McGrigors LLP; Senior Solicitor, Burness LLP; Associate, Burness Paull LLP; Director, Partner HBJ Gateley 2015 to date.
Scottish Life Sciences Association, Society for computers and Law, Centre for Freedom Information
Glasgow University (1999 LLB Hons, Dip LP)
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Noted for its ability to ‘leverage the breadth of expertise in the firm in order to provide a holistic recommendation’, Addleshaw Goddard is increasingly active in digital transformation projects. Fintech expert David Anderson leads the group, which has considerable experience in data protection issues, as well as IT and BPAAS outsourcings, commercial contracts and tech-related litigation. Anderson also handles the IT and technology aspects of corporate investments and divestments, while Helena Brown‘s practice largely centres on data protection issues emanating from IT projects and contracts.
The sports practice at Addleshaw Goddard encompasses the full range of contentious and non-contentious sports-related issues. Simon Catto, who heads up the group, routinely acts for football players and high-profile clubs in a variety of disputes, with additional strength in complex issues relating to contracts and regulatory matters. Helena Brown is particularly skilled in sponsorship, data protection and consumer compliance matters. In recent team news, Tony McGlennan departed in September 2020 to take up a role at Stranraer Sheriff Court.
The ‘proactive, responsive and practical’ Addleshaw Goddard advises international blue-chip clients on data protection, privacy and cybersecurity matters. The team, which is headed up by Helena Brown, was recently bolstered by the arrival of Nathalie Moreno from Lewis Silkin LLP in March 2020. The practice handles both contentious and non-contentious work, domestically and internationally.
- Next Generation Partners - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- IT and telecoms - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Sport - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Employment > Employment