Ruth Phillips > Shakespeare Martineau LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shakespeare Martineau LLP Offices
NO 1 COLMORE SQUARE
- Go to...
Ruth uses her technical background in the industry to provide practical legal solutions to her clients.
Ruth has a background in building surveying. She specialises in all areas of construction law but has particular expertise in drafting and negotiating all forms of building contracts, consultants’ appointments, collateral warranties, performance bonds and parent company guarantees.
Ruth works for a wide variety of clients including private developers, universities, further education colleges and funders.
Ruth ensures that she works closely with her clients and their other technical advisors to ensure that they are provided with a seamless services from the instigation of a project to completion.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP‘s practice is led by the ‘excellent‘ Smita Jamdar, who advises higher education bodies on regulatory, constitutional, governance and student-related matters. The team is experienced in handling high-value, complex and often sensitive matters pertaining to students, an area where Geraldine Swanton is a particular specialist. Other key members of the group include Birmingham-based Joanna Forbes; employment lawyer Tom Long, who specialises in advising large public sector clients on whistleblowing and discrimination; David Browne; and Ruth Phillips.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP assists clients with issues relating to commercial and housing developments, advising engineering companies, universities, contractors, developers and insolvency practitioners on defects, delays, professional negligence and payment claims. Practice head Ruth Phillips handles a wide range of work and is supported on the contentious side by the well-regarded Kate Onions. Legal director Rachael Hobbis left to join Higgs & Sons in May 2018.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- Human resources > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Human resources > Employment
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant