Kartik Mittal > Zaiwalla & Co > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Zaiwalla & Co Offices
53-64 CHANCERY LANE
- Go to...
- Commercial Litigation & Arbitration
- Sanctions Litigation
- GAFTA Arbitration
Kartik is enrolled as a Solicitor in England & Wales and in the Republic of Ireland as well as an Advocate in India. He has substantial experience in handling diverse litigation and arbitration caseload. Notable cases include three well-known Supreme Court Cases: The “Maduro Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela v The “Guaido Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela, Bank Mellat v HM Treasury and Jivraj v Hashwani. Considerable experience in handling commercial and sanctions litigation in English Courts, and sanctions litigation in the European Court of Justice (relating to sanctions imposed on Iran, Russia, and Republic of Congo). Handled GAFTA Arbitrations and International Commercial Arbitrations, both ad-hoc and institutional under ICC, LCIA, LMAA and DIAC Rules.
- Vivian Imerman v Robert Tchenguiz & Ors:  EWHC 2024 (QB)
- Jayesh Shah & Anr. v. HSBC Private Bank (UK) limited:  EWCA Civ 31
- Jivraj v Hashwani:  UKSC 40
- Bank Mellat v HM Treasury:  UKSC 38
- Union Marine Classification Services LLC v Government of the Union of Comoros:  EWHC 5854
- PEC Ltd v Asia Golden Rice Co. Ltd:  EWHC 1583 (Comm)
- IPartner Pte Shipping Ltd & Ors v Panacore Resources DMCC & Ors:  EWHC 3608 (Comm)
- Erdenet Mining Corporation v The Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan:  EWHC 299 (Comm)
- Punjab National Bank (International) Ltd v Srinivasan and others:  EWHC 89 (Ch) &  EWHC 3495 (Ch)
- Kamlesh Mansukhlal Danji Pattni v The Secretary of State for the Home Department
- The “Maduro Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela v The “Guaido Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela:  EWCA Civ 1249
- Bank Mellat v Council of the European Union: Case T-496/10
- Bank Tejarat v Council of the European Union: Case T-176/12
- Uganda Commercial Impex Ltd v Council of the European Union: Case T-107/15 & T-347/15
- Petropars Iran Co. & Ors. v Council of European Union: Case T-433/13
- Bank Mellat v HM Treasury  UKSC 39
- Acted for an Indian State owned corporation in a multi-million dollar ICC Arbitration dispute relating to the determination of the amount payable to a foreign corporation for the construction of a power plant in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Acted for an Indian Oil company relating to a multi-million dollar dispute against one of the world’s leading commodity trading and logistics houses.
- Acted for various private Indian commodity trading houses in their commodity disputes, including in relation to rice, before the Grain and Feed Trade Association (“GAFTA”).
- Acted for a Dubai based multi-millionaire in his dispute with one of the leading construction companies in Dubai in an arbitration governed by the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (“DIAC”) Rules.
Panel of Arbitrators
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA)
- Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Delhi High Court Bar Association (DHCBA)
- India Working Group of the Law Society of England and Wales (IWG).
- Masters in International Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation – University of Warwick (first class with distinction)
- BA Law – Symbiosis International University, Pune, India (first class with distinction)
- BA Social & Legal Sciences – Symbiosis International University, Pune, India
- Diploma in Indian Corporate Law- India Law Society Law School, Pune, India
- WIPO Certificate in Intellectual Property Rights
‘Excellent boutique firm‘ Zaiwalla & Co‘s litigation team has particular expertise in banking disputes relating to developing and high growth economies such as India, Russia, Iran, Venezuela and the Middle East. It is developing a niche in banking disputes involving international sanctions and public international law issues. Sarosh Zaiwalla and Kartik Mittal jointly lead the three-partner team which includes Leigh Crestohl and senior solicitor Rohit Ralleigh.