Kartik Mittal > Zaiwalla & Co > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Zaiwalla & Co Offices
137-144 High Holborn
- Go to...
- Commercial Litigation & Arbitration
- Sanctions Litigation
- GAFTA Arbitration
Kartik is enrolled as a Solicitor in England & Wales and in the Republic of Ireland as well as an Advocate in India. He has substantial experience in handling diverse litigation and arbitration caseload. Notable cases include three well-known Supreme Court Cases: The “Maduro Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela v The “Guaido Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela, Bank Mellat v HM Treasury and Jivraj v Hashwani. Considerable experience in handling commercial, banking and sanctions cases (including relating to the sanctions regime against Iran, Venezuela, Russia, Republic of Congo and Libya). Handled GAFTA Arbitrations and International Commercial Arbitrations, both ad-hoc and institutional under ICC, LCIA, LMAA and DIAC Rules.
- Vivian Imerman v Robert Tchenguiz & Ors:  EWHC 2024 (QB)
- Jayesh Shah & Anr. v HSBC Private Bank (UK) limited:  EWCA Civ 31
- Jivraj v Hashwani:  UKSC 40
- Bank Mellat v HM Treasury:  UKSC 38
- Union Marine Classification Services LLC v Government of the Union of Comoros:  EWHC 5854
- PEC Ltd v Asia Golden Rice Co. Ltd:  EWHC 1583 (Comm)
- IPartner Pte Shipping Ltd & Ors v Panacore Resources DMCC & Ors:  EWHC 3608 (Comm)
- Erdenet Mining Corporation v The Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan:  EWHC 299 (Comm)
- Punjab National Bank (International) Ltd v Srinivasan and others:  EWHC 89 (Ch) &  EWHC 3495 (Ch)
- Kamlesh Mansukhlal Danji Pattni v The Secretary of State for the Home Department
- The “Maduro Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela v The “Guaido Board” of the Central Bank of Venezuela:  EWCA Civ 1249 &  UKSC 57
- Sali Berisha v The Secretary of State for the Home Department: SC/191/2022
- Bank Mellat v Council of the European Union: Case T-496/10
- Bank Tejarat v Council of the European Union: Case T-176/12
- Uganda Commercial Impex Ltd v Council of the European Union: Case T-107/15 & T-347/15
- Petropars Iran Co. & Ors. v Council of European Union: Case T-433/13Bank Mellat v HM Treasury  UKSC 39
- Noyan Abr Arvan (“ArvanCloud”) v Council of the European Union: Case T-23/23
- Acted for an Indian State-owned corporation in a multi-million-dollar ICC Arbitration dispute relating to the determination of the amount payable to a foreign corporation for the construction of a power plant in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Acted for an Indian Oil company relating to a multi-million-dollar dispute against one of the world’s leading commodity trading and logistics houses.
- Acted for various private Indian commodity trading houses in their commodity disputes, including in relation to rice, before the Grain and Feed Trade Association (“GAFTA”).
- Acted for a Dubai based multi-millionaire in his dispute with one of the leading construction companies in Dubai in an arbitration governed by the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (“DIAC”) Rules.
- Delhi High Court Bar Association (DHCBA)
- India Working Group of the Law Society of England and Wales (IWG)
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA)
- Master’s in international Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation – University of Warwick (First class with distinction)
- BA Law – Symbiosis International University, Pune, India (First class with distinction)
- BA Social & Legal Sciences – Symbiosis International University, Pune, India
- Diploma in Indian Corporate Law- India Law Society Law School, Pune, India
- WIPO Certificate in Intellectual Property Rights
‘Able to conduct complex, multi-party, multi-jurisdictional claims involving billions of pounds‘, Zaiwalla & Co undertakes high-stakes, multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation work that emanates from India, Russia, South America, and across the Middle East. Name partner Sarosh Zaiwalla, who ‘has many years of experience in complex litigation‘, is an expert in challenging international sanctions, while Leigh Crestohl covers a broad range of commercial disputes. The youngest partner at the firm, Kartik Mittal routinely acts in high-value banking litigation involving developing or high-growth economies.
Boutique firm Zaiwalla & Co has ‘excellent experience in complex international banking disputes‘, acting regularly for and against major state banks. Team head Sarosh Zaiwalla has over 40 years of experience in multi-jurisdictional banking litigation, with particular expertise in international sanctions-related matters. ‘Expert lawyer’ Leigh Crestohl and ‘standout partner‘ Kartik Mittal are also noted.
- Commercial litigation: mid-market London > Dispute resolution
- Banking litigation: investment and retail London > Dispute resolution