Michael O'Shea > Gowling WLG > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Gowling WLG Offices
- Go to...
Partner in the construction group; advises on all aspects of dispute resolution and management; advises many of the top 20 construction companies including Amec, Shepherd Group and Taylor Wimpey. Advised Alfred McAlpine in relation to its dispute with Pamatown which was the subject of a judgment from the House of Lords in relation to issues of privity of contract and no loss.
Trained Pinsent Mason; qualified 1996; partner 2001; partner Wragge & Co 2006; Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co, partner, 2014. Visiting lecturer Manchester University; publications of note: ‘Scientific Likeness of Opinion in Civil Litigation’ (Nature Magazine vol 38).
Law Society; Society of Construction Law; Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
St Gregory’s Grammar School, Manchester; Loretto College, Manchester; Nottingham Trent University (BSc Quantity Surveying First Class Hons); Manchester Metropolitan University (LLB; LPC).
Family, sailing, football, travel.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Gowling WLG‘s sizeable construction and engineering practice is widely acclaimed for the depth of its capabilities in both public and private-sector driven mandates. Jointly steered by Michael O’Shea and Richard Green , who respectively head up the team’s contentious and non-contentious offerings, the firm is routinely engaged on big-ticket PFI handback disputes, regeneration project procurements, and breach of contract claims. Seasoned construction disputes specialist Ashley Pigott regularly helms multi-million pound disputes in the residential, education, and utilities sectors, while PFI handback expert Sarah Dyer concentrates on cases in the transport and energy sector. Ruth Griffin is a key port of call for a varied roster of retailers and infrastructure providers seeking assistance in high-profile projects. Principal associate Gemma Whittaker is recommended for her capabilities in major developments and automation projects. All named lawyers are based in Birmingham.
- Construction - West Midlands > Real estate
- Leading individuals - West Midlands > Real estate > Construction
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Pensions
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation