Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams > Milan, Italy > Firm Profile
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams Offices
PIAZZA DEL CARMINE 4
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Lawyer Profiles
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams > The Legal 500 Rankings
Italy > Industry focus: Energy Tier 2With ‘great expertise in all aspects of the energy sector‘, Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams routinely assists clients from the power, renewable energy and energy infrastructure sectors. The team also advises oil and gas industry clients on energy transition work. ‘Superb lawyer‘ Eugenio Tranchino is a renewable and conventional energy specialist; and Francesco Piron, who recently joined from Macchi di Cellere Gangemi (alongside administrative law specialist and counsel Giannalberto Mazzei), concentrates on the domestic and EU regulatory framework of the electricity, natural gas, and water and waste markets.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great expertise in all aspects of the energy sector.‘
‘Unlike other law firms, the WFW team stands out for its entrepreneurial approach, which is 100% focused on the client’s business needs and not just the purely legal aspects.‘
‘WFW delivers excellence in the Italian energy space. They deliver full-scope perspectives and exceptional understanding of the industry.‘
‘They provide technically excellent advice across all energy-related services and they represent value for money- a true partnership, like an extension of an in-house legal department.‘
‘Their business acumen and strategic thinking represent an undisputed value-add for us. WFW is well-known in the market for providing excellent advice on transformative and ground-breaking projects, leading on successful and innovative market-first transactions in Italy and abroad.‘
‘Eugenio Tranchino is a superb lawyer, very knowledgeable of the energy industry, and internationally renowned for his sector experience. I appreciate his innovative thinking and great problem-solving ability, as well as his professional and proactive approach. I would highly recommend him for his exceptional work in handling energy transactions.‘
‘Eugenio Tranchino combines a good commercial understanding of the market with mature counsel and well-articulated advice, and he is proactive in moving matters forward.‘
‘Francesco Piron stands out on every occasion, both for preparation and for courtesy.‘
Sonnedix España Management
Società Gasdotti Italia
LCF Management Italia
Made in Energy
Blue Elephant Energy
Predica Energies Durables
Smart Energies Transition
- Advising Blue Elephant Energy on its joint development agreement with Green Future for a 119MW Italian solar portfolio.
- Advising Società Gasdotti Italia on the realisation of the HyBRIDS Project, which intends to introduce green hydrogen into the gas network through the use of innovative technologies.
- Advising Sonnedix, a global solar independent power producer, on the acquisition of a 22.3MW Italian photovoltaic portfolio owned by the Solarig Group.
Italy > Banking and finance: lender or arranger side Tier 4Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams' banking and finance team provides the full gamut of legal services within the firm's core industry sectors of energy, transport, infrastructure and real estate. Mario D’Ovidio is an energy and infrastructure project finance expert, while Furio Samela is well known for shipping finance.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competent, and client and results-oriented.‘
‘Very reliable and responsive team with expertise in banking and finance, especially in the field of renewable energy and international transactions.‘
‘The team is a reliable and comprehensive contact for Italian renewable energy financing.‘
‘Due to its strong expertise in international transactions, the best strategies and legal advice are guaranteed.‘
‘The WFW lawyers are distinguished by a particular balance and objectivity to the legal advice given. Another positive element (not always found in other firms) is the clarity and transparency of the quotations within tender notices.‘
‘The work of Mario D’Ovidio is very much appreciated. Mario also collaborates systematically and constructively with the banking associations of the sector and the various working groups on export finance.‘
‘Mario D’Ovidio is an outstanding partner. He stood out for his excellent interpersonal skills, which were a plus when establishing a fruitful collaboration relationship.‘
‘Mario D’Ovidio’s characteristics include competence, availability and a focus on results.‘
Hamburg Commercial Bank
UBI Banca – Unione di Banche Italiane
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
- Advising Deutsche Bank, SACE and SIMEST on the €53m project financing for a new, upgraded market in Sekondi-Takoradi, the local capital and most populous city of Ghana’s Western Region.
- Advised BPER Banca on the refinancing (on a project financing basis) of the loan granted to an Italian project company for the construction of technology hubs at the Camposampiero and Cittadella hospitals in Padua.
- Advised BPER Banca on the refinancing (on a project financing basis) of a loan granted to an Italian project company for the construction of a hospital pavilion, ancillary building works, and the Canal al Pianto guesthouse at the SS Giovanni e Paolo hospital in Venice.
Italy > Banking and finance: Borrower side Tier 5Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams‘ ‘highly competent‘ banking and finance team is centred around the firm’s core industry sectors, namely energy, transport, infrastructure and real estate. Project finance specialist Mario D’Ovidio ‘distinguishes himself with excellent interpersonal skills‘, and Furio Samela and Michele Autuori are both shipping finance experts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly competent, and client and results oriented.‘
‘Mario D’Ovidio distinguishes himself with excellent interpersonal skills that represent the basis of fruitful collaborations. To these are added his excellent ability to focus on the legal issues, sector expertise and a strong focus on outcomes.‘
- Advising Clere, as sponsor and borrower, on a project financing that was granted by two Italian banks to refinance an Italian photovoltaic portfolio.
Italy > Dispute resolution Tier 5Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams‘ dispute resolution team has particular expertise in the energy sector, both nationally and internationally. Elvezio Santarelli, who leads the team, is ‘a proactive litigator’ who specialises in arbitration and litigation, mainly in the energy and infrastructure sectors. Francesco Piron, who joined the firm in January 2021, from Macchi di Cellere Gangemi, focuses his litigation practice on public law, regulation and competition.
‘Elvezio Santarelli is a proactive litigator.’
‘Few other firms have comparable due diligence expertise and skills in connection to foreign regulations, grid-code, PPA and import issues. These aspects make the WFW service unique.’
‘Elvezio Santarelli has a unique professionalism and profile in the sector.’
A.C.E.P.E.R. (Italian association of renewable energy consumers and producers)
C.U.RA. Consorzio Utilities Ravenna S.c.r.l.
CVA Trading (controlled by Compagnie Valdôtaine Des Eaux S.P.A.)
- Advising the Italian Association of Consumers and Producers of Renewable Energy as representative of 15 photovoltaic operators, before the Lazio Administrative Regional Court in their claim against the Gestore dei Servizi Energetici.
- Advising Belenergia in an international arbitration proceeding before ICSID Arbitration Chamber in Washington/Paris to restore the damages arising out of the breach of the Energy Charter Treaty by the Italian State as consequence of the implementation of Decree law imposing a retroactive legislation cutting the feed-in-tariff regime.
- Advising CVA Energie on the prescriptive/sanctioning proceedings initiated by ARERA towards CAV Trading in the related disputes before the Council of State on various ARERA resolutions regarding electrical imbalances in the national network balancing system managed by Terna according to ARERA’s Resolutions.
Italy > Commercial, corporate and M&A Tier 6Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams places a high degree of emphasis on the energy, transport and real estate sectors, handling a broad range of mandates including M&A, joint ventures, commercial contracts, workouts, management buyouts and restructuring matters, among others. Practice head Eugenio Tranchino is particularly active on the cross-border front, leveraging the firm’s expansive international network as well as his proficiency in English, French and Spanish.
Other key lawyers:
Carlo Cosmelli; Tiziana Manenti
Predica Energies Durables
Fergas Solar S.r.l.
NAIAD 2012 S.L., Tsk Electronica Y Electricidad S.A. and KB CAPITAL S.A.
German Investment Fund
Smart Energies Transition SA
Belex Holding S.A.
- Advised Smart Energies on the acquisition of an Italian photovoltaic portfolio from Ensource Renewables S.r.l.
- Advising a consortium of international renewable energy companies – NAIAD 2012 S.L., Tsk Electronica Y Electricidad S.A. and KB CAPITAL S.A. – on the acquisition of SF South S.r.l.
- Advised Predica, an investment subsidiary of Crédit Agricole Assurances, on its share acquisition in the Renvico 329 MW Franco-Italian wind portfolio from Engie.
Italy > Employment Tier 1
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams > Firm Profile
Dedicated to client care, industry focus and investment in our people
We are a sector specialist international law firm in the energy, transport and infrastructure sectors advising on complex transactions and disputes through local knowledge and an integrated international network.
Our business exists to help our clients achieve their goals, partnering with them to meet the challenges they face today and will face tomorrow.
Our values rest on developing deep and long-lasting relationships externally and internally through respect, sharing, communication and integrity.
We strive for excellence in all that we do and view investment in our people as key to achieving our business goals and values.
Our teams are integrated across legal disciplines and offices delivering consistently high levels of service locally and in combination across borders.
History: Sector focus has been at the heart of our strategy since we opened for business in 1982. Having started life as an asset finance boutique focussing on the maritime and aviation industries, our transport focus quickly expanded to other supply-chain led industries, most notably, renewable and conventional energy and infrastructure across these industries.
Through our offices around the world, we provide a full suite of services within our core sectors enabling us to deliver exceptional value to our clients.
- Founded 1982
- 175+ partners
- 580+ lawyers
- 18 offices
Senior Partner: George Paleokrassas
Managing Partner: Lindsey Keeble
Global Sector Heads:
Aviation: Jim Bell, Charles Viggers
Energy: Malte Jordan, Henry Stewart
Infrastructure: Florian Kutzbach and Jose Maria Anarte
Maritime: George Macheras, George Paleokrassas
Mining & Commodities: Jan Mellmann
Oil & Gas: Chris Kilburn
|Mario D"Ovidio||Mario has extensive experience advising financial institutions, borrowers, sponsors and ECAs on…||View Profile|
|Francesco Piron||Francesco provides legal advice to a wide portfolio of private and public…||View Profile|
- Industry focus: Energy