Matthew Gowen > Birketts LLP > Ipswich, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
141-145 Princes Street
- Go to...
Crime - Fraud, Crime - General, Health and Safety, Transport
Matthew joined Birketts in November 2014, having previously been a Consultant for the firm. He is a Partner (Barrister) within the firm’s Corporate Criminal Defence Team and brings with him a wealth of experience from over 20 years at the criminal Bar. He offers advice and representation in all areas of corporate and regulatory crime.
One of his clients appeared on the BBC Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show (October 2014), following a high profile acquittal, stating that he was “staggered by [Matthew’s] intellectual agility” and describing his closing speech as a “piece de resistance. It was brilliant.”
Matthew was formally a member at leading criminal chambers, Red Lion Chambers, London, having been called to the Bar in 1992.
He appeared frequently as a leading junior both for the defence and the Crown in serious criminal cases and has also advised on and appeared in cases of regulatory crime, including health and safety and environmental matters.
Matthew won the Employed Advocate of the Year award at the Employed Bar Awards 2017.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Birketts LLP has a ‘caring and supportive‘ approach to high-stakes criminal matters, in which it frequently competes with established City firms. Barrister Matthew Gowen leads the regulatory and corporate defence practice from Ipswich, though he works across all of the firm’s four regional offices, and he epitomises the firm’s approach of in-house advocacy. The practice handles high-value private crime work, financial crime investigations, the defence of road transport offences, health and safety matters, trading standards and food law. Recently promoted partner Julie Gowland is also highly experienced in criminal and regulatory law, including substantial POCA matters.
Birketts LLP has extensive cross-industry experience in serious health and safety, defence including disasters and multiple fatalities. The practice, which is made up of barristers, solicitors, and health and safety consultants, has a nationwide caseload and acts for clients in sectors as diverse as agriculture, manufacturing, leisure, construction and education. Barrister Matthew Gowen in Ipswich leads the practice. Legal director Julie Gowland in Norwich and Ipswich-based senior associate Daniel Irving are also key members of the regulatory and corporate defence practice.
Birketts LLP acts on a diverse range of licensing and regulatory matters for clients in the leisure sector including breweries, hotel chains, night clubs, race courses, events operators, bingo hall chains, takeaway outlets, churches, wedding venues, public houses and concert promoters, as well as a host of peripheral retailers such as health clubs and garden centres. The firm also acts for numerous local councils, handling sub-committee hearings considering licence applications from all kinds of businesses. Legal director and head of licensing Julie Gowland in Norwich co-ordinates the firm’s licensing work across five offices, and works closely with barrister Matthew Gowen in Ipswich, who is part of the regulatory and business defence practice.
- General crime and fraud - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing
- Health and safety - East Anglia > Employment
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Employment > Health and safety
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Licensing - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping